Sign in to follow this  
TIMETODOIT

Complete Newbie

Hey there guys, I've always liked FSX since I was a kid but now, I want to really do it correctly! 

I can take off and land ok, but the rest? The procedure of flight planing etc... I don't really know what's the step by step of everything else..

I want to start slow, maybe a smaller aircraft do some shortflights and go on to bigger ones and bigger plannings... 

So how do I procede? Whats a good aircraft to buy to start? GGRR SO MANY THINGSSS :)

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

If you really want to do it right, start with a the A2A 172.  This aircraft accurately simulates the plane so many new pilots actually learn on.  When it comes to actually flying, I would suggest you go through the FSX tutorials and after that you can start to look for online tutorials on flight planning, etc.  Welcome to the addiction !!

Have a look at the free starters videos from Angle of Attack, they explain the complete basics of flying and show several good aircraft as example for it.

Carenado has several aircraft that are very nice for learning to fly, their Cessnas are the first that come to mind, or if you want detailed realism, have a look at the GA aircraft from A2A.

Have a look at the free starters videos from Angle of Attack, they explain the complete basics of flying and show several good aircraft as example for it.

Great idea, I had forgotten about those videos.

GGRR SO MANY THINGSSS :)

yes indeed ! it is - and IMO that is the great thing about flight simulation. I think one of the best things which keeps us interested for long time is that there is always something new to discover and improve. I have to admit that patience and discipline is not my strength and I wanted it all - now ! ;)

To fly a high quality (price 30-70£) Boing/Airbus etc. is not done with 5 hours learning if you start from fresh, it is more like 100 hours. There is the aircraft itself, as you mentioned flight planning , which software to use, which web sites for info etc. - there is just lots and lots information- so take your time and maybe choose one area which interests you most and stay there for some weeks/month.

The continuous improvement is what makes it fascinating, just my opinion.

happy exploring

alfred

The very best starting resource is one you don't even need to go hunting for - it's the FSX Learning Center. :Hug:

The reason is, it is optimised for the actual simulator and uses the tools and capabilities of that product. The issue when you go down a path such as this is that you are swamped with information and when you 'don't know what you don't know', it can be a nightmare to waste hours and hours on a particular skill, only to find that it isn't replicated inside the sim. :Frustrated:

The Learning Center has a staged educational platform precisely to enable newbies and experts to join and rejoin at whatever level they are already comfortable with. One thing MS did right was getting the Kings involved in the `training` inside the sim - their videos and tutorials are brilliant, relevant and thankfully, brief !

I'd start with those. Don't think about adding complex aircraft or additional systems until you've grasped the fundamentals - it's a waste of time and money as they are ALWAYS built on `flying it right` - so if you don't know the basics, how can you ? Once you've got to the stage where you want to expand your knowledge, there's a whole raft of goodies awaiting you ! 

The very best starting resource is one you don't even need to go hunting for - it's the FSX Learning Center. :Hug:

The reason is, it is optimised for the actual simulator and uses the tools and capabilities of that product. The issue when you go down a path such as this is that you are swamped with information and when you 'don't know what you don't know', it can be a nightmare to waste hours and hours on a particular skill, only to find that it isn't replicated inside the sim. :Frustrated:

The Learning Center has a staged educational platform precisely to enable newbies and experts to join and rejoin at whatever level they are already comfortable with. One thing MS did right was getting the Kings involved in the `training` inside the sim - their videos and tutorials are brilliant, relevant and thankfully, brief !

I'd start with those. Don't think about adding complex aircraft or additional systems until you've grasped the fundamentals - it's a waste of time and money as they are ALWAYS built on `flying it right` - so if you don't know the basics, how can you ? Once you've got to the stage where you want to expand your knowledge, there's a whole raft of goodies awaiting you ! 

This is excellent advice.

Hey there guys!! I have P3D academic, I don't think I have those lessons!! I've been seing the angle of attack videos they are awesome! Heres a list of things I'm thinking about buying

A2A C172 or the 250 comanche (any other planes?)

Active Sky (does this bring better rain graphics too? or just the real time weather?)

Rex textures (they have many things what should I buy?

Any others?

I'm not a GA flyer but Active Sky Next, while not bringing any new textures, is a fantastic weather injector, and definitely worth getting, at some point at least.  I've heard that FSFX packages's PrecipitFX improves the rain graphics but it's not something I have.

REX's current generation of products are under the REX 4 banner.  So far they have a weather architect tool that lets you draw you own weather (not something I have) and REX 4 texture direct which, from what I've seen, is the payware sky, cloud and water texture improver to get.  I'd recommend getting the version that includes soft clouds if you do get it.  Some REX software (including texture direct/soft clouds) is half price this weekend.

I'm not sure if any of these compete with Avsim and if so, sorry, but I personally use PC Aviator most often, in part because they were one of only a very limited selection to sell Active Sky when I bought it, and from then on they occasionally have loyalty discounts.  I think I saw that new members get 10% off (possibly on top of the Labour Day sales) and they have a 10% off Tuesday each week.  I've also used flightsimstore, fspilotshop and sometimes simmarket and the Aerosoft store.

I'd recommend PC Aviator if you get something in their sale, if only for the extra 10%.

Have fun!

For REX products, you might want to consider their own REX store - it's all 50% off at the time of writing.

For all others, I'll echo PCAviator.

Sign in to follow this