Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

P3D, dense overcast and performance

Hi all,

I've been doing some instrument flying exercises and I'm trying to get a dense overcast without hammering performance.  So far, I've been going back and forth between Active Sky settings and P3D settings, trying this and that.  I wonder if anyone else has gone through this exercise and can give some tips.

Thanks!

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Okay, found one thing...turned off cloud shadows...Duh!  Also, I can't seem to get a solid overcast in P3D with ActiveSky.  Hmmm.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

I think for dense overcast, you could try bumping up the cloud layers in ASN, but that may impact performance.  In fact, I was just tooling around in the ASN settings last night and there is a lot you can control.

Just a thought...

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I think for dense overcast, you could try bumping up the cloud layers in ASN, but that may impact performance. In fact, I was just tooling around in the ASN settings last night and there is a lot you can control.

Yeah, I've tried a lot of them.  I'm glad the real world doesn't require all that stuff!

Gregg Seipp

in P3d turn cloud coverage to max and within ASN there is on option to make overcast better.

I get total blanked overcast like that and make sure your not running NVi with AA. I run shadows with no problem.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Yeah turn cloud coverage or density to max p3d

if you have REX weather architect use that..it will save you on the performance since it updates the sim once.i ,for once, had an overcast with pmdg 777 and did not see much performance impact..

Okay, found one thing...turned off cloud shadows...Duh!  Also, I can't seem to get a solid overcast in P3D with ActiveSky.  Hmmm.

I'm using ASN and depending on the METAR of course, I can get a solid overcast. I think what really drags your performance down is the amount of cloud layers, not density. Taken, who doesn't want a thick cloud layer to plunge through but face it, it will bring your system down on its knees. 

Oh and you are correct - cloud shadows KILLS performance. Also, you could try settings your AA down a few notch, especially if you're using sparse grid anti aliasing through Nvidia Inspector. Even my GTX 970 struggles with 2x SGAA in dense cloud conditions.

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

Yeah turn cloud coverage or density to max p3d
if you have REX weather architect use that..it will save you on the performance since it updates the sim once.

I don't have Wx Architect but I do have Rex Essentials Plus which I could use to set the static conditions once and then turn off since it doesn't clear out the weather when it exits like ASN does.  I did set the weather manually and globally so there's really no reason for ASN to set the weather again unless it's doing that for some unknown reason.  In the past I had some problems getting a solid overcast from Rex...you'd be in the soup and, suddenly, you'd be in the clear...the clouds had completely vanished.  That was in FSX a few years ago.

I'm using ASN and depending on the METAR of course, I can get a solid overcast. I think what really drags your performance down is the amount of cloud layers, not density. Taken, who doesn't want a thick cloud layer to plunge through but face it, it will bring your system down on its knees.

Oh and you are correct - cloud shadows KILLS performance. Also, you could try settings your AA down a few notch, especially if you're using sparse grid anti aliasing through Nvidia Inspector. Even my GTX 970 struggles with 2x SGAA in dense cloud conditions.

I only set one layer, though, it's thick and I wonder how many 'clouds' it takes to get that much coverage.  One thing I'm seeing with ASN is that the altitudes for the deck is all wrong.  If I set overcast 1000-10,000, I can look down even at 4-5,000 feet and still see the ground as if it's a thin fog. Also, the tops are wrong, sometimes ending at a random solid altitude way below 10,000.  I posted a thread on this over at Active Sky's website.  As an aside, I think ASN works well in FSX with setting these weather conditions and I get a decent solid deck there, though I haven't tested it completely.

One thing I did notice is that, if I change the cloud type to 'Simple' in P3D, performance goes way up.  I'm doing some instrument training right now so it doesn't matter much, but it would be more than nice to get realistic overcast with realistic looking clouds when I'm just doing regular flying. 

Gregg Seipp

Only using one layer does not give ASN much to work with.

To recap

anti aliasing through Nvidia Inspector is a no no.

P3D cloud density to max.

​ASN uses historically weather so once you find a data with the right weather you can reuse that weather/date all you like. 

Personally don't find shadows kill FPS AA does big time.  

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Using ASN I can shoot Cat III all day with no performance hit and complete coverage. I have AA set in NVI and it doesn't seem to be an issue on my system. I use 3 layers in ASN. I have cloud shadows on. I have volumetric fog on. I have max cloud density, 90 mile cloud draw. It really depends on your system.

I don't manually set the layers and vis. I usually just set historical weather date to a time when I know there was bad weather and locate an airport, get the chart and have at it.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

When I set stuff manually, even just using P3D weather, I'm not getting solid.  Sometimes it's large gaps in coverage, miles wide.  Don't get me wrong, it's gorgeous...but it's not solid.

In terms of performance, with ASN off and only using P3D, Cloud Coverage max, volumetric fog on, base 1000, tops at 11000, shadows off, settings lower than mid-way, in the Carenado Bananza, I'm getting low 20s.  (i7-4.2 Ghz, GTX 970)  Also, the tops are way off...way too low.  The bases are better at least.

EDIT:  BTW, turning off volumetric fog, which doesn't seem to have much use in this scenario, gives me 25-30ish fps.  That works.

Gregg Seipp

You'll probably see a small gain in performance if you wish you clock your i7 to 4.5 ghz. Should't be any problem. If it's the 4770K, I remember going from max turbo mode (4,2 ghz) to 4,5 ghz gave me some more FPS to play with. 

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth