Sign in to follow this  
cbrdriver

Confusion with Forcasted winds entries

I have had the NGX for a while, but have only recently been able to build a system to handle her.  

At this point, It has become the NGX (not FSX running the NGX) I just can't think of flying anything else, but my matrix, my construct is lacking.

I use several programs to prepare for flight. . .

Simbrief, for a wonderful dispatch with fuel numbers dead on, and time as well, as long as the suggested CI is used.

FSRealWX for winds and other weather.

FS Flight Keeper as a log book.

and of course, FSUIPC (though unregistered)

The problem I have is three different winds, and none of which actually match up to what I'm seeing aloft.

I don't have the ability to get winds aloft from FSRealWX, and the other two not only disagree, but disagree sometimes by as much as 90 degrees and 30knts.

My budget has been overextended, but I would really like to have numbers to plug in that would at least be close.

I would really appreciate any suggestion other NGX drivers may have.

Thanks.

John Anderson

John Anderson

Windows 10, FSX:SE

I5 4690k

GA-Z97M-DS3H

EVGA GTX 950, 2GB

My budget has been overextended, but I would really like to have numbers to plug in that would at least be close.
I am using PFPX for winds aloft by waypoint and ASN as a weather engine but I imagine that is outside the amount of money you want to spend. The two programs are around a $100 but that is what I am using. The winds aloft in terms of direction/speed are reasonably close between the two programs. So what is forecasted by PFPX is pretty much what you are going to see from ASN which is going to generate and depict the weather you fly in. Maybe there are other programs on the market that are less expensive but PFPX and ASN are the combination I like.

I appreciate your response, but yeah . . . the hospitality industry has bottomed out, and the school supply market has sky rocketed.

Any other time, that would seem like a reasonable cost for two items that work so close, but right now, I just can't.

John Anderson

I5 4690k

GA-Z97M-DS3H

EVGA GTX 950, 2GB

Unfortunately, that kinda requires a program that's going to cost money.

The short version is:

Use the wind provided by whatever weather program you're using, because that's going to be what drives the sim. If it's worth its weight, then you could also pull the wind data off of aviationweather.gov and still be reasonably accurate. Short of that, though, it's anyone's guess.

The solution here would be to buy a weather program that has an accurate weather engine, and also provides wind data. Most of the better known ones do this, and will likely match closely with SimBrief, provided the weather isn't a complete mess (and in that case, even the weather bureaus don't show the same picture - see forecast model).

Kyle Rodgers

I use ASN now, but before ASN I usually flew with  FSX actual on-line weather option (downloaded every 15 min from Jepp) using registered copy of FSUIPC to smooth the undesirable variations. I used aviationweather.gov for my weather briefings and pretty much flew the sim the same as real world flying (weather-wise). This worked satisfactorily for me until HiFi upgraded ASX to ASN and I started to take their product seriously.

The registered copy of FSUIPC shouldn't hurt even a tight budget. Consider that as an option.

Dan Downs KCRP

From my experience, the SimBrief and FSRealWx both have pretty accurate wind (real time). There is probably something else wrong. Can you check which program is giving you the wrong wind? The real world weather can be found here.

There is no need to spend money only to get accurate weather in the Sim. Recently FSRealWx became a payware. Although you can still use the unregistered version, some features are not available in that version. I guess this might affect the accuracy of weather in the sim. If you are sure the FSRealWx is at fault, use FSXWX instead (it's free!). The weather is very accurate and even smoother!

I am having great success with winds aloft with FS Global Real Weather. I do my flight planning, which includes a winds aloft matrix, at fltplan.com. When I fly my winds aloft direction is spot on and the wind speed reported by my GPS (RXP in some aircraft and F1 GTN750 in others)  are within +/- 5 knots. That is realistic with real world flying. I fly GA and my cruise altitudes are at FL 270 and below, mostly in the FL190 to FL250 range. 

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Can you check which program is giving you the wrong wind? The real world weather can be found here.

It seems to be they're both wrong, or at least there's a delta between what I'm actually seeing in the air and what each gives me.

I started to keep a written log to find which one was closest, but there doesn't seem to be any pattern, almost as if someone says, "from the northwest, greater than 20." So the program says, "OK, 315 at 22 sounds good."

It may seem petty to some, and others may say to just spend the money, but I'd like to at least get it close to right, and now, I'm down to a single income family. (probably shouldn't have even built this system)

I'm just frustrated. . .

But you're right, David. Something is wrong.

I'll continue to log, and check that with the link you gave.

Thanks.

John Anderson

I5 4690k

GA-Z97M-DS3H

EVGA GTX 950, 2GB

Use real time download every 15 min from Jeppsen, and get your forecast data from aviationweather.com here: http://aviationweather.gov/windtemp

Note wind aloft are not the same as ground observations (northwest greater than 20). The data is obtained twice a day from ballons and then the NWS creates the forecasts based on a lot of science. Is it perfect, no.  Is it close, for 1-3 days it is surprisingly close although in aviation you want to stick to the current forecast period provided on the tables and charts.

I am a big fan of the aviationweather.gov website.  This is a small group of dedicated professionals whose only job is this website and they do an amazing job.  Good website for anypilot to become familiar with.

Dan Downs KCRP

John, Where are you flying typically and at what FL?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Usually I'll fly east of the Mississippi. Between FL360 and FL390, unless I cross a NAT track trans (RDU, CLT) when I'll go about FL230 and FL250.

John Anderson

I5 4690k

GA-Z97M-DS3H

EVGA GTX 950, 2GB

John,

OK. Just wanted to see that you are flying USA.  The flight planning site that I use only supports North America.

I was frustrated last year when using REX E+ for both my textures and weather engine. I could never get winds aloft that were in the ball park of the winds aloft forecasts I was looking at, such as at NOAA or FltPlan.com.  I especially wanted flight experiences that were a reasonable match for forecast winds at FltPlan.com as that is where I do my flight planning. The top matrix in the image below shows how the forecast winds aloft appear on the flight plans created there and appear for each waypoint in the flight plan. And of course those winds aloft are factored into the enroute times and fuel burns on the flight plans.

I switched to FS Global Real Wx for my engine and have had highly satisfactory results. The issue you are having could be a function of the source of your winds aloft forecasts. You might try this combination and see if you get better results.  Fltplan.com is a no-cost service.

img_0027_std-XL.jpg

Frank Patton
ASUS 

OK. Just wanted to see that you are flying USA.  The flight planning site that I use only supports North America.

What are you doing flying out of Easton...?

Kyle Rodgers

What are you doing flying out of Easton...?

Best airport near my real world home. Bay Bridge is nearer, but a bit small for the aircraft I fly. I also fly out of Bloomington, IN (alma mater city) , and Indianapolis (a previous hometown) a good bit. 

Frank Patton
ASUS