Sign in to follow this  
Gh3003

Minimize to desktop

Hello everyone -

In FSX lately i have a issue that is quite boring. I googled, and found out this is an issue other people also have - still i was not able to fix it.

I load the PMDG 747-400X after launching FSX. After a little while suddenly FSX minimizes to desktop without crashing. When i select the 747-400 i display the overhead panel on the second monitor - but after maximizing it i cant click any buttons or remove the panel.

However, if i select another aircraft and go back to the 747 the issue is fixed - but suddenly it minimizes again.

As mentioned in other posts regarding this issue, it seem to be a more or less hidden process who causes FSX to minimize - if i just knew which process it is the problem would probably solve.

Any ideas to this?

There are usually a dozen processes running... I suggest you narrow your search first by looking for a running application causing this.

Does it happen with only FSX running?  I've not seen this problem discussed in this forum before, that I remember, maybe check the AVSIM FSX forum?

Dan Downs KCRP

I'm not sure if this is your issue but I have had FSX minmize, continue to run apparently normally, but not go back to full screen or windowed mode. A fix for me was to turn off my second monitor. Then FSX behaved normally. When I turned the second monitor back on all was well. Could not begin to guess why that worked but it did.

Steve Dwyer
Z370 GAMING M5 (MS-7B58)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9600K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 3696 Mhz
MSI GeForce RTX 3060 12GB
Installed Physical Memory  32.0 GB

Downscc: yes, it might be a more suitable category, i took a chance and placed it here.

This happens only when fsx is running, yes.

St. Paul MN Simmer:

I will try this. Still, i hope that it is not related to the second monitor.

This evening the problem got even more worse. I was not able to fly at all //

I will throw my hat into this ring.  I have been experiencing FSX suddenly minimizing for no apparent reason. No under underlying programs are running except those related to FSX, which include:

1. ASN

2. Go-Flight

3. Poly-pot Go-Flight Interface

4. Recently, the Virtual CDU (which is GREAT!)

I have a single monitor.  I did it before I began using Virtual CDU.  I noticed that I have an upgraded version of Norton, and  I wonder if it is sometimes doing things in background.  

Using the ALT-ENTER key, I can get back to Windowed mode and from there back to full screen.  It's fun when it happens on short final though! :wink:

It also seems to be occurring more frequently in recent days.

Thanks!

Rich Boll

Wichita KS

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

Hi Rich!

Well, i also have Norton. Now i begin to suspect that the issue might be related to that. These programs seem to live their own life when it comes to updates.

I am no computer expert - but it seem to be some kind of program or process who minimize FSX. I will try to remove Norton and launch FSX.

I think its strange that it have gotten even more worse the latest days, cause i did no changes nor installed anything.

Lets work this out together - i will try tomorrow and report my result

Greetings from Gunnar

I had been a loyal Norton user years before it was bought by Symantec (at least as early as pre-Windows) and terminated my relationship with them last year due to buggy software.  I got tired of telling it to trust a PMDG installer after having to remove it from the quarantine a couple of times.  When I tried to get support I ran into a blank wall companies too big to care about their customers will put up to protect themselves from nut cases like me. Will never put a Symantec product on my computer again.

I am using the free Microsoft Security Essentials based on recommendations from a real nerd and it's doing it's job and nothing else.

Please post an update if Norton is causing FSX to close... I would take particular enjoyment from reading that.

Dan Downs KCRP

I fixed it:

I de-installed norton and shut down my internet - no minimize to desktop - i reinstalled norton and enabled internet - now it works fine :)

What about you?

Well, you can enjoy - it was Norton probably :)

I learned the hard way about Norton many years ago, not to use it.

Been using Microsoft Essentials  for about 3 years, no problems.

Jerry Friz

Do you mean Microsoft Windows Security Essentials? Seem to already be on my computer. Well, the issue happenned again - after i reinstalled Norton//