Sign in to follow this  
avgaskoolaid

FTX Global/Vector looks different in P3D

So I think I'm having a bit of an issue with FTX Global/Vector. I've installed them into both FSX and P3D (the latter I just bought and am just getting used to). Global and Vector both look great in FSX, however I've noticed that even though the same version is also installed into P3D the terrain looks different than it does in FSX. Take for example these photos below, taken at the same location. FSX looks just as it should in real life (this is my hometown airport) with lots of trees in the area shown. However, in P3D, there seems to be farmland. which is incorrect. Also, I've noticed that other areas look a bit brighter/more green, or closer to default in P3D than in FSX. Is there a problem here or is this normal? Both are using the same version of Global and Vector, and both are activated in FTXCentral, and just to be sure the ORBX LIBS are up to date in each sim. I get an error upon starting P3D that says: "SCENERY.CFG file error. Invalid Remote scenery path in scenery Area.143". Could it be related? 

FSX

2015-9-3_10-29-0-325_zpshrkcmf05.png

P3D

2015-9-3_10-31-20-604_zpsyn7w60md.png

I can't help you with the very issue, however, if you get scenery.cfg errors you might try the Freeware Scenery Config Editor

http://sourceforge.net/projects/fs-sceditor/

for correcting them. It works well with P3D, too. (Never had a problem, but make a backup of your scenery.cfg first.)

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

The second image looks like default terrain. You will want to check FTX Central to make sure the products are actually installed in P3D. Also check the scenery .cfg for P3D to make sure the entries are there (you can do that through Central as well).

The second image looks like default terrain. You will want to check FTX Central to make sure the products are actually installed in P3D. Also check the scenery .cfg for P3D to make sure the entries are there (you can do that through Central as well).

I went into 'Installed Products' and it shows both Global and Vector and installed (and like I said it shows both as 'active'). Where can I check the scenery.cfg entries in FTX Central 2?

EDIT: I just checked to see what was listed as Area 143 and it is  Drzewiecki's KJFK, so the warning is unrelated to my FTX issue. 

The reason that it looks different in P3D from FSX is because the landclass that is used in the two simulators is different. LM opted for a different LC source in 2.x that was different than the LC used in '06. 

If you go to a ORBX Open LC area it will be consistent across the 2 sims. 

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

But he still will have to correct the scenery.cfg error, wan't he?

Kind regards, Michael,

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

But he still will have to correct the scenery.cfg error, wan't he?

Kind regards, Michael,

Actually, I just checked and it was a problem with an airport addon not being installed correctly. Installed it again and the problem was fixed. Still wondering about why P3D looks default though...

I think The FlightSimGuy should be right. FSX and P3D use indeed different landclass definitions. There have been comparisons, just search for them. Installing Global and Vector doesn't change this, Global only installs new textures and Vector new roads etc. Neither change the landclass definitions (I think with a few minor exceptions).

Further, I agree to The FlightSimGuy: Choose an ORBX Region (or OpenLC EU, if you own it) and see if both agree, as they should.

Kind regards, Michael

I think The FlightSimGuy should be right. FSX and P3D use indeed different landclass definitions. There have been comparisons, just search for them. Installing Global and Vector doesn't change this, Global only installs new textures and Vector new roads etc. Neither change the landclass definitions (I think with a few minor exceptions).

Further, I agree to The FlightSimGuy: Choose an ORBX Region (or OpenLC EU, if you own it) and see if both agree, as they should.

Kind regards, Michael

Thanks Michael. I was confused about this when The FlightSimGuy said this at first but now I get it. Until openLC for the US is released, will UTX v2 give me good landclass or does it do more than just update landclass?

Honestly, I am still a bit disturbed. While FSX landclass and P3D landclass (the annotations) are indeed different, I would expect P3D being closer to the real thing in most regions. There was an extended comparison

https://simmerhead.wordpress.com/2013/01/13/review-fsx-landclass-battle/

(several parts to browse) 2 yrs ago, which showed that while all landclass flavors having their pros and cons P3D usually belonging to the better ones. On the other hand you write, FXS is quite close to the airport as you know it, while P3D is remarkably different.

It's well possible, but as I said I am a bit disturbed and wouldn't exclude something in your installation being flawed. Just a thought. Can you identify the airport (ICAO)?

Kind regards, Michael

Hi, I'll see how it looks on my system tonight.

Kind regards, Michael

Was curious after seeing this, here is what mine looks like:

P3Dv2.5, Orbx FTX Global/Vector/FreeMeshX:

KSAW.png

Hi,

be77solo, I made a flight yesterday and it looks exactly the same as yours. Part of the difference is season, while the OP choose Fall (I think) you choose summer like me. In my case this was with FTX Global, HD Trees, OpenLC Canada (how far South does it go?), FTX Vector and Ultimate Mesh.

However, I noticed extended wood to the North of KSAW which I don't see on the OPs P3D shot where the background is free of wood up to Lake Superior.

I am not quite sure how to judge this.

Kind regards, Michael