Sign in to follow this  
asanal

FSX Scenery Config Editor

Does FSX  work with all of those sceneries installed?  If it ain't broke...no need to fix it!

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

I just downloaded SCE to FSX and found many  "Path does not exist" errors.

How shall I corect them? Do I need un-install/reinstall FSX? :Whew:

THX

http://imageshack.com/a/img538/8886/LdaoR3.jpg

Does FSX work with all of those sceneries installed? If it ain't broke...no need to fix it!

Hi, Ahmet,

I agree with charliearon.  I also have two sets of questions: 1) What version of FSX are you using?  Are you using the Steam version? Do you have a dual install of FSX Boxed & FSX Steam?2) Are you sure Scenery Configuration Editor is pointing to the correct scenery.cfg file?  There are several, for some reason.

Mike

• Upvote 1

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Follow the instructions. You need to know the right FSX root (hard drive) it is installed.

My%20Signature.jpg

Charliearon Thks for your replay. You are right I leave  it as its.

Mike, Thanks for your reply. 1- FSX Deluxe Edition with Acceleration Expansion Pack   2- I have also Steam Version 3- I have a dual install, both of them  have "newscenery.cfg" files

Ahmet Sanal

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted"

I just downloaded SCE to FSX and found many "Path does not exist" errors.

How shall I corect them? Do I need un-install/reinstall FSX?

SCE is telling you that some of your scenery paths are not correct, in other words the sceneries will not show correctly in FSX

SCE lets you edit the paths so that they are correct, that is basically why the program exists. to add scenery correctly

If you are not going to use it to edit your scenery.cfg even when it has identified some problems for you why even bother having it installed.

SCE is telling you that some of your scenery paths are not correct, in other words the sceneries will not show correctly in FSX

SCE lets you edit the paths so that they are correct, that is basically why the program exists. to add scenery correctly

His picture shows that none of his scenery is installed.  Surely Ahmet (the O.P) would have noticed this when he starts FSX.  So it is likely a problem with where SCE is looking for the scenery.cfg file.

Charliearon Thks for your replay. You are right I leave it as its.

Mike, Thanks for your reply. 1- FSX Deluxe Edition with Acceleration Expansion Pack 2- I have also Steam Version 3- I have a dual install, both of them have "newscenery.cfg" files

I'm not at my FSX computer right now, but I will give the correct paths for both the FSX box & FSX Steam scenery.cfg files later when I am back at my FSX computer.  The path for FSX Steam in a dual install is not the standard one.  I don't recall seeing a "newscenery.cfg" file.  AFAIK, you need to find the folder containing the correct "scenery.cfg" file.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

I tried to correct the path.but ,I end up deleted all  scenery files. I gave up. May be SCE good tool,but I wasn't able to utilize it.

I have to reinstall FSX-MS . :sad:

THX for your help.

• Upvote 1

Ahmet Sanal

I tried to correct the path.but ,I end up deleted all scenery files. I gave up. May be SCE good tool,but I wasn't able to utilize it.

I just noticed that in the picture in your first post, SCE is pointing to the correct folder, but to the wrong file,  "newscenery.cfg".  I don't know what that is.  But SCE should be pointing to "scenery.cfg".

The correct path for FSX:MS (Boxed) is:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX

There is also a problem with SCE in a dual install like mine.  When I set it to point to the scenery.cfg file in

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX-SE (using File>Open Other)

SCE shows many missing scenery paths that actually are perfectly OK.  When there is a scenery entry in the FSX:SE scenery.cfg file like Addon Scenery/XXX it looks for XXX in the FSX:MS Addon Scenery folder, not the FSX:SE Addon Scenery folder.  In other words, it assumes all the scenery is in FSX:MS as the top level folder.  I think it WILL work in Steam if the full scenery path is given.

It also works if the same scenery is installed in both versions of FSX in the same location, but that's because it finds the scenery in FSX:MS, not FSX:SE.

Ahmet, I'm not sure where your problem came from, but it seems to me at this point SCE should only be used with FSX:MS (Boxed) version in a dual install, and it should always point to the scenery.cfg file, not some other file.

Mike

• Upvote 1

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Give the manual a read, it explains the reason for newscenery.cfg. 

However, if you want to always refer to scenery.cfg, then uncheck the "Follow the NewScenery convention" checkbox.

Ernest Pergrem

Mike, I  have to uninstall  FSX-MS to correct scenery  files and reinstall Orbix and others. I dont want to give an impression as SCE is complicated. tool.  I thought when I installed SCE all sceneries files  will  be organized accordingly.

I tried to go through Manual, it is written for people who are familiarized with FSX internal software .

Ahmet Sanal

Mike, I have to uninstall FSX-MS to correct scenery files and reinstall Orbix and others. I dont want to give an impression as SCE is complicated. tool. I thought when I installed SCE all sceneries files will be organized accordingly.

I tried to go through Manual, it is written for people who are familiarized with FSX internal software .

Hi, Ahmet,

It won't hurt to experiment as your scenery setup is already messed up.

If you haven't already done a reinstallation, look in the folder where your scenery.cfg file is.  It will be something like:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX

I looked quickly at the SCE manual and I'm still not sure what newscenery.cfg does.  But I suggest you move it out of the above folder. 

See if scenery.cfg file in that folder still has your scenery with the correct paths.  If not, look for a backup such as OldScenery.cfg and see if that still has the correct scenery installed and the correct paths.  If you find a file like that that looks good, back up the other scenery.cfg file and rename the good file to scenery.cfg.

Airernie pointed out how to use SCE with a dual install in this thread:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/474319-scenery-configuration-editor-problem-w-fsxse-fsxms-dual-install/#entry3291754

You have to point SCE to the correct folder scenery.cfg folder, which will be something like:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX-SE

But you also have to point SCE to the location of the Steam version of FSX, using Edit>Preferences.

Mike

Give the manual a read, it explains the reason for newscenery.cfg.

Airernie, does this mean that FSX will actually read newscenery.cfg instead of scenery.cfg (if located in the correct Programdata folder)?

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Mike,I am totaly lost.Here are latest changes. FSX does not start.

http://imageshack.com/a/img661/4619/dAfPaV.jpg

Follow up: I uninstall SCE and replaced  with saved Scenery.Cfg file. FSX started with out any incident.

Thaks for your help.

Ahmet Sanal

Follow up: I uninstall SCE and replaced with saved Scenery.Cfg file. FSX started with out any incident.

Thaks for your help.

Hi, Ahmet,

Glad it's fixed!

In general, whenever an addon of any kind -- scenery, flight planner, aircraft, etc. -- causes a problem, the first step is to remove it, rather than to uninstall FSX or some other part of it that was working before the new addon was installed.

There is something about how SCE is configured on your system that is causing it to misread your scenery and give false error messages. 

I think that FSX reads the "newscenery.cfg" file created by SCE, but somehow that file got corrupted on your system.  I don't know if this has to do with being FSX Steam on your system or something else.

I've used SCE quite a lot, mainly to selectively install and uninstall scenery.  I do this to temporarily uninstall scenery I'm not using, that puts a heavy burden on FSX and decreases framerates.  Especially in FSX:MS, scenery is loaded that isn't being used -- not sure how much better FSX:SE is on this issue.  I haven't used it yet with FSX:SE; as airernie pointed out in the other thread I linked to above, you can point SCE both to the top level FSX:SE folder and to the proper FSX:SE folder with scenery.cfg in it.

If you use SCE further, just be sure to back up your scenery.cfg file OUTSIDE of the folder in which it is normally found. 

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

I am wondering if i can piggy back on this discussion.  I too have problems SCE.  I tried to follow the instructions given, but I must confess I am lost.  My situation is this.  SCE is recognizing my scenery, but giving me a "Path " error.  I have a large Mega Scenery library that is housed on an external hard drive.  I am running FSX-SE, with FSX removed.  I think I have removed all of the FSX files, but I cannot be sure.  With this configuration, could someone give me the correct Path to enter into SCE so that it recognizes the correct path.  FSX-SE and all related files are on Hard Drive C.  Scenery on Hard Drive H.