Sign in to follow this  
CKAJCA

FMC strange Transitions

Hi folks

I recently did a flight from EGGD (Bristol) to EGJJ (Jersey). The route was planned using PFPX. The STAR to runway 26 ILS was the JSY2Q. When I went into the FMC to program that STAR I found there was 3 transitions JSY1, JSY2 and JSY3. I could not find any mention on the Jersey charts about these 3 transitions. I have found similar transitions for other STARs into other airports. Can anyone explain what they are and where I would find the charts that show these transitions?

Regards Colin Ackerman

Can anyone explain what they are and where I would find the charts that show these transitions?
Is AIRAC Cycle 1509 being used in FMC?

I have found similar transitions for other STARs into other airports
Sounds like fixes for the Approach rather than a STAR transition. It looks like JSYQ2 would have BIGNO as a transition.  Once I am done with the current flight, I will see if I can figure out anything on NGX FMC.

Navigraph Charts has puked so I can't match the FMC with charts which I don't have access to right now. So all I can tell you is what is in the FMC. JSY1 and 2 determine the distance between JSY and turning to final. JSY3 sets up a holding pattern at JSY. They have nothing to do with the STAR but concern the Approach.

This topic would be best served in the Navigraph forum.

Dan Downs KCRP

Navigraph Charts has puked so I can't match the FMC with charts which I don't have access to right now. So all I can tell you is what is in the FMC. JSY1 and 2 determine the distance between JSY and turning to final. JSY3 sets up a holding pattern at JSY. They have nothing to do with the STAR but concern the Approach.

I am surprised that they appear as transitions in the fmc

I am surprised that they appear as transitions in the fmc

They don't appear as transitions. When you press the DEP/ARR key they appear oh the right side of the CDU after you have selected a runway. STARS and their transitions appear on the left side of the CDU. It is a common occurrence.

BTW I think Scandinavian13 who is a PMDG moderator for this forum ask for full names in each post. See post #14 of this thread -http://www.avsim.com/topic/474104-built-in-aircraft-hud-not-working/.

Wait don't transitions appear on the right side of CDU?

STARS and TRANS on the left. APPROACHES, IAF, FAF on the right. 

If I recall correctly, STARs and STAR Transitions appear on the left, Approaches and Approach Transitions on the right.

I'm not overly familiar with Jersey, but from looking at the charts and reading Michael's description, my guess would be that one is going to be a straight-in approach from the IAF (JSY), another will be the base turn procedure that requires tracking outbound from the JSY on R126 before turning inbound, and the third will be the "alternative" (so described on the chart) racetrack procedure.

Am I correct in saying that JSY1, JSY2 and JSY3 do not appear on any charts and that the only way of knowing where they are is by selecting them and viewing the Legs in Plan mode?

That's correct: they're not officially named procedures per se, it's simply the way the different published approach procedures are coded in the navdata.