Sign in to follow this  
stevefocus

Possible Airport Lighting Issue

Sorry if this is a stupid post but I've just bought X-Plane yesterday, really enjoying X-Plane so far, shame there are so few study level aircraft but loving the fact I don't get any OOM. One issue that was bugging me was the night lighting brightness but I found instructions to fix this, one problem remained which was if you look at the airport lights at certain angles mainly the taxiway lights they disappear, is this normal behaviour in X-plane or is there a way to fix this? Have posted some pics to show you my potential problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Steve. 

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh295/stevewhiterod/a330_2.png

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh295/stevewhiterod/a330_5.png

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh295/stevewhiterod/a330_4.png

Yep you are OK , it depends on the angle that you are looking from , just like real world.

Hard to tell from the pics - blue edge lights are omnidirectional - centerline should be directional (green lights)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Hard to tell from the pics - blue edge lights are omnidirectional - centerline should be directional (green lights)

I guess he is using the new aerosoft's heathrow in the pics , If I recall correctly this airport doesn't have the blue edge lights also in real world.

I guess he is using the new aerosoft's heathrow in the pics , If I recall correctly this airport doesn't have the blue edge lights also in real world.

Yes that's Aerosoft's Heathrow, I'm just getting used to the difference's between X-Plane and P3D didn't realize the taxiway lights disappear from certain angles as I don't think they do that in Prepar3d V2.

They don't really "dissapear" , they still cast green light on the ground if you look closely , but the green "glow" (billadbord) is visibile only from a certain angle.

It happens also in real life.

As for the blue edge lights , they should be visible from every angle , but as I know heathrow don't have those in real life neither aerosoft's scenery , so all seems great.

What version of Xplane are you using?

If 10.36 there was a bug (fixed in 10.40 which is still BETA) that lights wouldn't scale with you monitor width and resolution , in 10.40 lights should be be brighter in general.

But because you are new at Xplane I reccomend waiting a few more weeks for 10.40 to get stable and update to a beta version that might be un-stable.

What version of Xplane are you using?

If 10.36 there was a bug (fixed in 10.40 which is still BETA) that lights wouldn't scale with you monitor width and resolution , in 10.40 lights should be be brighter in general.

But because you are new at Xplane I reccomend waiting a few more weeks for 10.40 to get stable and update to a beta version that might be un-stable.

I am using 10.36 at the moment at 6060x1080 resolution so you might have hit the nail on the head, I have the steam version so don't get access to the betas as far as I know, will have to be patient I guess. Thanks for the help much appreciated.

Airport without taxiway edge lighting!? That's news to me. Whether it's LED, old bulb or reflectors , something is required

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Airport without taxiway edge lighting!? That's news to me. Whether it's LED, old bulb or reflectors , something is required

Not sure if it's the case in real world (I recall reading this somewthere though , maybe for another airport or something) , but this scenery don't have those light edges.

shame there are so few study level aircraft

That depends on what you like to fly. The LES Saab 340 is a study level sim, one of the very best.

If like me, you prefer general aviation, then two outstanding aircraft fall into the category of study level. The airfoilLabs 172 (available but a work in progress) will be very close to anything A2A have ever done. If you want to put a smile on your face, get the Carenado 210 and add the SimCoders Reality Expansion Pack. I haven't stopped smiling since that purchase. The best aircraft combo I have ever flown in any flight simulator.

Anyways, welcome to X-Plane :).

That depends on what you like to fly. The LES Saab 340 is a study level sim, one of the very best.

If like me, you prefer general aviation, then two outstanding aircraft fall into the category of study level. The airfoilLabs 172 (available but a work in progress) will be very close to anything A2A have ever done. If you want to put a smile on your face, get the Carenado 210 and add the SimCoders Reality Expansion Pack. I haven't stopped smiling since that purchase. The best aircraft combo I have ever flown in any flight simulator.

Anyways, welcome to X-Plane :).

I do enjoy GA aircraft already own A2A's 182 and Cherokee 180 but really like PMDG level aircraft like the 777 and 737 mainly due to me being able to fly for my VA with these aircraft. Will have a look at the Saab though. Thanks.

Steve.