Sign in to follow this  
Boeingman29562

Best FSX Turboprop?

Hello everyone! I am thinking of buying a new payware add-on for FSX, and am interested in a Turboprop General Avaition plane. I was wondering what add-on you guys think is the most accurate for me to buy.I really want a plane that is perfect for routes of about 500 nm. I am strongly considering the Carenado TBM-850, but was wanting to make sure that I am making the right move.

Thanks!

-Josh M

So I did a few minutes tonight looking for the differences between say a turboprop aircraft and a turbine prop aircraft, and came away a bit bewildered.

Anyway, not intending to throw the topic off even a bit, but the "turb***" GA FSX model of choice is in my estimation the RealAir Turbine Duke V2. It is an excellent model. Fast. Flies high. Gets to cruise altitude very fast. Excellent flight dynamics. Challenging. Market-best avionics integration. 

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Thanks for the quick reply! I have been considering that plane, looks like it fits the bill of what I need. Just wondering however, does the GTN750 display come with the airplane, or do you have to pay for the package seperately to get the avionics? Thanks!

The GTN750 is a separate purchase from Flight1, well worth it though.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

If you are looking for the deepest and most accurate overall simulation, including some damage modeling, the Flight1 B200 is still the tops right now.

No payware comes with the GTN750.  It's a separate purchase, but fits a number of addons.

FSX doesn't do Turbo-props well.  But some developers get it better than others.  I don't have the Dash 8 Q400, but most people rave about it.  Many people would argue it's the best.  

There are several decent models that aren't too unrealistic, but Carenado doesn't make any of them.  In increasing order of quality of simulation of turbo-props, I'd make it:

The Aerosoft Twotter is a decent simulation, with some problems.

The Razbam Metro III, although a quirky plane, and far from modern in terms of avionics, does a decent job of modeling the Garrett engines.  

The Flight 1 King Air B200 is supposed to be very good (I don't have it).

The Milviz King Air 350i is really quite good, even though it's still alpha and some work remains to be done.  As it stands now, though, prop response is far from accurate.  It's speedy.  

The Real Air Turbine Duke is indeed a very nice aircraft.  And it's a homesick angel (climbs like a banshee).  You need to fly high to make the most of its engines.  Below 12,000, you'll be limited to just over 200 kts.  

I have the PMDG J41, and it is excellent, but, like the Q400, is more of a small commercial airplane than a commuter or GA.  

Thanks for all the help guys! I think that I have now narrowed the list down to the Beech Duke from Real Air Vs. the TBM850 from Carenado. Which do you guys think I should choose?

Find something into which you can integrate the Flight 1 GTN 750. You will not regret it! 

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Thanks for all the help guys! I think that I have now narrowed the list down to the Beech Duke from Real Air Vs. the TBM850 from Carenado. Which do you guys think I should choose?

You have to answer the question though:

Realair is much better feel to it when you fly

Jump in and fly but not very realistic TBM

Thats what you have to consider for yourself

IMO you will be bored of the TBM much much sooner than the Realair but that's just me.

The Carenado Beech C90 was my ride of choice and in my opinion still one of the best Carenado releases (C337 also great). And the MilViz B55 Baron is still my nostalgic favorite as it is a very good modeling of the aircraft (military T-42) in which I gained my multi and instrument ratings. That and Master Painter Supreme Ron Attwood did a greater than excellent repaint creation of a US Army T-42, accurate down to a level of decal minutia, 

I hesitated buying both the Flight 1 GTN 750 and the RealAir Turbine Duke V2 because each has to be purchased separately for each simulator program and I am close to needing to build a new system, plus Windows 10 is out. I just did not wish to purchase anything for the short term. But school is still somewhat out on Steam and P3D and I keep putting off my new system build until more of that shakes out.

Soooo. I finally snagged the RealAir TDv2 and GTN 750, and have not flown significant hours in any other combination since. That is a vast departure for me. That in itself is of mention able significance. 

Frank Patton
ASUS 

The Turbine Duke is my go to airplane and has been from the first day I bought it. The GTN 750 is the icing on the Duke's cake and the two together form one of the best you can get in FSX.

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Just to approve the choice of the Royal Turbine :smile:

The below shots are fresh from yesterday. Taken during a 2 hours flight from Glenns Fall (KGFL) to Greenbrier (KLWB) with real weather (ASN)

The aim is to show you what you can achieve in terms of system integration with the GTN 750 and a custom weather radar gauge.

You fly with modern jet avionics, top notch performance (you can climb at 4000 ft/mn if you closely monitor your engines), in a classy, vintage 60s airframe.

:wub:

tduke01.jpg

tduke02.jpg

Turbine Duke with dual GTN750's

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Real Air Duke all the way. Nothing Carenado makes even comes close to the Duke IMHO. Even if you wanted something relatively simple, it doesn't take much to get the duke in the air.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

One more vote for RealAir.

The TBM looks nice, but the avionics are sadly lacking and will quickly get to you..

The Flight1 King Air is another quality choice.

Bert