Sign in to follow this  
Boeingman29562

Best FSX Turboprop?

Thanks again for all the help everyone! I think I will be choosing the turbine Duke V2. By the way, the turbine instead of piston aircraft is the better option, correct?

Thanks!

I have to vote for the Real Air Duke Turbine V2. It's a great plane as it comes and you can always add the F1 GTN 750 later. The Majestic Q400 Dash 8 is a great plane, but is more like an airliner and requires a learning curve to master the systems and procedures.

The Carenado C90 Kingair is nowhere near as accurate a turboprop model, but I do enjoy flying it. Great frame rates and Carenado does an outstanding job on the textures.

A couple more are the Flysimware Cessna 441 and their MU2. Their visuals don't match Carenado, but they have a good model of the Garret turboprop and both planes fly well.

Dale

Thanks again for all the help everyone! I think I will be choosing the turbine Duke V2. By the way, the turbine instead of piston aircraft is the better option, correct?

Thanks!

You have already stated that your average flight will be around 500nm, so high altitude flying for best economy and to fly over some weather would be practical.  With that in mind, you would need to be flying well above 12,000 ft AGL and that is where the turbine engines will show their advantages over the piston engines.  Either will economically cruise above 20,000 ft AGL, but the turboprop will cruise around 50 KTAS faster with a fuel burn of only 10 GPH more than the piston prop.  Even so, JetA costs less than 100LL AvGas, so we are talking about an 18% increase in fuel consumption, but right now, AvGas costs almost 18% more than JetA, so there is little to no difference in fuel costs.

The turboprop also has some advantanges down low.  The turboprop has more thrust, allowing a slight increase in useful load and a big decrease in the amount of runway required for takeoff.  The turboprop also has reversible props, so landing distance is significantly less.  Piston powered Dukes will eat up a solid 3000 feet of runway, while turbine Dukes will eat as little as 1000 feet.  The turbine Dukes also have an impressive rate of climb, up to 4,000 ft/min., piston Dukes max out at 1,600 ft/min.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

... and the tduke can be equipped with garmin gtn avionics, whereas the piston duke lacks that option, at present.

Bert

Again, thanks for all the helpful input guys! I have decided to purchase the Turbine Duke V2 and the GTN 750 avionics package. The avionics package will also be great as I can use it with other aircraft such as the amazing A2A Cherokee.Have a great weekend all!

Turbine Duke with dual GTN750's

Would like that, but on my system the 2nd GTN 750 caused noticeable stuttering in hi res areas. I had to revert to just one GTN 750, no more stuttering, and still love the TDv2.

Again, thanks for all the helpful input guys! I have decided to purchase the Turbine Duke V2 and the GTN 750 avionics package. The avionics package will also be great as I can use it with other aircraft such as the amazing A2A Cherokee.Have a great weekend all!

If you use the Turbine Duke V2 config program to install the GTN gauge(s) into the panel (via the config program's "GPS and Radios" section) wait until after doing so to make any personal tweaks you want to make to your pop up gauges. The TDv2 config program rewrites some of the [windowXX] entries in your panel.cfg file.  Ex. I map my pop up GPS gauges to [window05] in all of my aircraft as I have a yoke button mapped to toggle [window05]. I believe the TDv2 config program maps the GTN to [window01] when you run it. So configure with the config program first, then make you own personal tweaks after that.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Would like that, but on my system the 2nd GTN 750 caused noticeable stuttering in hi res areas. I had to revert to just one GTN 750, no more stuttering, and still love the TDv2.

I understand that - I made some sacrifices to run dual GTN's. I don't use AI (I fly online). Recently I also set texture res to 1m - works well in P3D .

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Does anyone know if having dual 750 GTN's in the TDuke or any plane is a common option in the RW? Not sure why you would need 2 GTN 750, just curious?

Thanks - Martin

Two GTN 750's, one for nav and one for weather using Rolands weather gauge.

843313b4-88b1-4687-ad89-3ff0d6239799_zps

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Excellent choice. You won't be disappointed.

The piston duke is also excellent - truth be told i prefer it to the turbine version. I'm looking forward to seeing it in p3d some day.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

I have the Dash 8. Although I primarily fly the 737ngx or pmdg 777, the dash 8 is quite good and rather an involved plane to fly. I would recommend it.

Edited by n4gix
Removed unnecessary quote.