Sign in to follow this  
Dirk98

Scenery.cfg Active=FALSE ?

Hello, 

When I turn off one of the Areas in scenery.cfg by just editing Active=FALSE line does FSX still read bgls in that area/location at loading? How is it different from completely removing [Area*] from scenery.cfg? And while at it: what is Required=FALSE/TRUE line for?

Thanks,

Dirk.

Dirk,

It shouldn't.  You can do the same thing by Disabling (not deleting) the scenery via the FSX Scenery Manager or a Utility Program like Scenery Config Editor.

That said, I don't believe regions outside the area where your aircraft is located are loaded, at least not until you enter them.  You can see a visual representation of this by going to the Satelite VIew and zooming out where you'll be able to see the difference between what's loaded and what's not.

Hope this helps!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Dave is correct.  The only scenery that will load everywhere in the world no matter where you are flying, is photoscenery.  So, all the .bgl's for photoscenery will load worldwide whether you are flying in that area or not.  This is why I have all of my commercial airports enabled in my scenery.cfg.  One way to check for sure is to load FSX into the Process Monitor as described on page 4, AVSIM CTD Guide.  There it shows you how to set up the program so only FSX and FSX addons are shown in the log (and not every Windows event).  It will then tell you exactly what's loading during a flight.  Just remember that this program displays thousands of events going on with FSX every minute so your log will get to around 8GB's after an hour of flight.  You will want to go into the Process Monitor folder and remove the log after you have reviewed it.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim, my only question was whether Active=FALSE line in an Area of scenery.cfg makes FSX skip reading bgls of that area at loading time. Less bgls read = faster loading to a flight situaton. It was not about memory or VAS use, it was rather about loading time. So, if I edit to Active=FALSE FSX code doesn't even read through those bgls at launching, does it?

Thanks,

Dirk. 

When you go into the Scenery Library or use the Scenery Config Editor and disable an area, it will not launch because the entry in the scenery.cfg will be changed from Active=True to False.  Dave basically said the same thing and I should have shut up.  I didn't mention anything about memory or VAS usage in my response though.  I suggested you set up the Process Monitor to read only FSX loading actions.  Then, when you start up FSX, you will see what in FSX and your addons is loading.  So, for instance, you disable a scenery area or edit the scenery.cfg and change an entry from true to false, start up FSX and it will show whether it loaded or not.  Any .bgl's in the Scenery/World/Scenery folder will load as there is no way to disable them other than using the utility provided by FTX or some other program that might have put them there. 

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Ok, so loading-wise Active=FALSE is no different from completely deleting the area from scenery.cfg. When Active=FALSE fsx.exe does not bother even to skim let alone load the area.

Thanks,

Dirk.

I'm asking for an exact answer because what if my Area/Active=FALSE is photoscenery, so I want to make sure fsx.exe wouldn't even read it at loading (which may take additonal time).

Dirk.