Sign in to follow this  
Spackman

Anyone Retrofitted GPS To Dash 8 Q400?

Anyone successfully retrofitted a GPS such as the Garmin 530 to the Q400?

If so can you share Panel & Aircraft.cfg code?

Thanks

Sp.

Forgive me for sounding ignorant, but why would one bother doing so?

I use the 530 a lot as an add on & am a lot more familiar with it than the FMS.

Sp.

I use the 530 a lot as an add on & am a lot more familiar with it than the FMS.

Sp.

No offense, but if you purchased the Q400, you obviously had an interest in learning about a commercial grade aircraft that functions exactly like the real thing.  Perform the tutorials and learn the FMS and you won't want to go back to GPS. :)

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

No offense, but if you purchased the Q400, you obviously had an interest in learning about a commercial grade aircraft that functions exactly like the real thing.  Perform the tutorials and learn the FMS and you won't want to go back to GPS. :)

-Jim

Well, using the FMS, can you see the flight plan track on a screen & the position of the aircraft along that track at any point in time in the flight??

Sp

Yep. You can change the display to show the flight plan like an overhead plan. You can also use the prev/next on the fms to cycle through the waypoints to check for gaps.

If you are more of a video/visual person rather than study the manual, have a look at FightOrFlight on YouTube - there is an excellent video from start to finish flying the Q400 across Norway.

B.

https://youtu.be/YT4AkCwND4c

WW1294.png

Yep. You can change the display to show the flight plan like an overhead plan. You can also use the prev/next on the fms to cycle through the waypoints to check for gaps.

If you are more of a video/visual person rather than study the manual, have a look at FightOrFlight on YouTube - there is an excellent video from start to finish flying the Q400 across Norway.

B.

https://youtu.be/YT4AkCwND4c

Yes, prefer the visual.

Will check it out.

thanks for the link

Sp.

Retrofitting the Q400 with a GNS 430/530 - would be somewhat pointless (at least from our perspective).  The FMS functionality of the Q400 allows you the features of the 530 and probably more.  There are many, many, many YouTube videos available which go into some detail regarding FMS flight-plan implementation and then using the MFD to display  the required data as it relates to the FMS/flight-plan.

Cheers

KROSWYND    a.k.a KILO_WHISKEY
Majestic Software Development/Support
Banner_MJC8.png

Sys 1:  AMD 7950X3D, NOCTUA D15S, Gigabyte Elite B650, MSI 4090, 64Gb Ram, Corsair 850 Power Supply, 2x2TB M.2 Samsung 980s, 1x4TB WDD M.2, 6xNoctua 120mm case fans, LG C2 55" OLED running at 120Hz for the monitor, Win11. Sys 2:  i7 8700k, MSI GAMING MBoard, 32Gigs RAM, MSI 4070Ti & EVGA 1080Ti. Hardware:  Brunner CLS-E-NG Yoke, Fulcrum One yoke, TM TPR Rudder Pedals, Yoko TQ6+ NEO, StreamDeck, Tobii Eye Tracker, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base with a TM grip
SIMULATORS: MSFS2020/XP12/P3D v5.4 & v6:  YouTube Videos

Is there way to step through filght plan leg by leg? Video shows stepping page by page, but espetialy arrival, if wrongly entered can give me trouble.

Thanks

Is there way to step through filght plan leg by leg? Video shows stepping page by page, but espetialy arrival, if wrongly entered can give me trouble.

Thanks

No sadly the Q400 FMS, unlike the Boeing or Bus ones can't step leg by leg. You get all the active legs on each page for the given zoom level set on the ND. 

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com