Sign in to follow this  
avgaskoolaid

Issues searching the library

Is anyone else having issues with the library search engine? For example, a search for 'ngx' returns 0 results. A search for 'pmdg ngx' returns plenty, but it has 747 and 777 files mixed in as well, so I think it's only searching for the 'pmdg' part. Does the search engine not like searches under 4 letters or something? Because I could have sworn I've searched for 'ngx' or 'klm' or 'jfk' before...

Hello,

The Library search engine is a bit old so it requires careful use of keywords to get the most appropriate results. From my experience a search sometimes yields zero results if the number of results is very large, this can happen if you use a keyword that is present is a very large number of files. This is not related to the number of characters in the keyword (which is another factor that also has an effect, check tip 2 below) but rather related to the keyword itself.

For example, searching for '747-400' will yield zero results despite the presence of hundreds of files in the Library that have '747-400' in their title or description.

To help you with your search,  here are a number of tips:

1) Select an appropriate category for your search so as to limit the number of possible results. Also, this way you also get more relevant results.

2) For any given search, try to use at least one keyword with 4 or more characters. Using 3-character keywords only tend to also yield zero results.

3) Use a number of keywords per search, example: 'pmdg 747' instead of just '747'.

4) Try using the "Extended Search" function and try using a combos of keywords in different fields if possible (like using the author name field).

P.S.: Based on the above, if you search for 'tds 737' you'll probably get zero results, while searching for 'tenkuu 737' will yield almost 600 results.

Hello,

The Library search engine is a bit old so it requires careful use of keywords to get the most appropriate results. From my experience a search sometimes yields zero results if the number of results is very large, this can happen if you use a keyword that is present is a very large number of files. This is not related to the number of characters in the keyword (which is another factor that also has an effect, check tip 2 below) but rather related to the keyword itself.

For example, searching for '747-400' will yield zero results despite the presence of hundreds of files in the Library that have '747-400' in their title or description.

To help you with your search,  here are a number of tips:

1) Select an appropriate category for your search so as to limit the number of possible results. Also, this way you also get more relevant results.

2) For any given search, try to use at least one keyword with 4 or more characters. Using 3-character keywords only tend to also yield zero results.

3) Use a number of keywords per search, example: 'pmdg 747' instead of just '747'.

4) Try using the "Extended Search" function and try using a combos of keywords in different fields if possible (like using the author name field).

P.S.: Based on the above, if you search for 'tds 737' you'll probably get zero results, while searching for 'tenkuu 737' will yield almost 600 results.

Thanks. I guess I was mistaken when I thought things used to be different (though I could've sworn I've searched 'ngx' before and got a huge list of files). Are there any plans to update the search engine? As it is there's no way to, for example, search for the A2A Cessna 172 without wading through 103 pages of Cessna-related files. 

We've been discussing the improvement of different parts of the Library but nothing's confirmed yet.

Regarding the A2A Cessna 172, try using searching for 'a2a c172', this way the keyword 'c172' plays a good part in defining the search results. Also, you may try searching for 'accusim c172'.

Regarding the A2A Cessna 172, try using searching for 'a2a c172', this way the keyword 'c172' plays a good part in defining the search results. Also, you may try searching for 'accusim c172'.

Well, there's definetely an issue. Up until recently if you searched for 'pmdg 737' (FSX repaints) you would only get pmdg 737 aircrafts as a result. Now you get all pmdg products (747, MD11, 777 etc.). That's 2628 files in 263 pages.

I wouldn't call that an improvement. It would be appreciated if you looked at this.

Regards,

Randall Snijders

A search for US Airways or US Airways Express turned up 0 results this morning.