Sign in to follow this  
RaptyrOne

Upgrading FSX to Prepar3d - must I purchase the aircraft again?

Hi all,

If I make the switch from FSX to Prepar3d, will I need to purchase the B738 Base Package again specific for this platform?

It appears in my PMDG website downloads page that the only version I have access to is for FSX/Steam.

Thanks!

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Ah, OK, thanks John. The conversion to P3D just became a little more costly.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Also A2A needs separate licensing. Read this post from Lewis  http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=49109&hilit=fsx+to+P3D .  He is great to work with.

send an email to sales@a2asimulations.com

Kevin

-.- . ...- .. -.
Kevin Conlon
Pharmacist, Pilot and Parrot Head

I9-9900K  4.9GHz | RTX 2080 TI FE | 27" Asus Monitors x 3| MSI Z370 | Crucial M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x 2 | Toshiba HDD 2TB | WDC HDD 2TB | 32 GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10

Remember, your are not "upgrading" from FSX to P3D. You are changing your simulation platform from an entertainment platform to a training and learning platform. The "upgrade" to FSX is FSX - Steam Edition and whatever come after that. Software licensing is a pain, I know... But has to be abided by.

Remember, your are not "upgrading" from FSX to P3D. You are changing your simulation platform from an entertainment platform to a training and learning platform. The "upgrade" to FSX is FSX - Steam Edition and whatever come after that. Software licensing is a pain, I know... But has to be abided by.

Thank you. I was about to say exactly this.

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks again guys,

But do note my choice of words never included the word "upgrading". I used the term "conversion". A common aviation term when switching to a different fleet, as in "type conversion".

Also, as my FSX was never used as an "entertainment platform", neither will my Prepar3d be used as one. :smile:

Of course we should not imply that FSX is a 'game' just because Prepar3D is not a game. :smile: ​That would insult the FSX community of which I remain a member, at least until P3Dv3 is launched in the [hopefully] near future. :P ​

Edit: Sorry - I just see the way I wrote the title. That's where I used "Upgrading"

My bad. I got it right in the body of the post at least! I'll have to take one for the team. :wink:

​ 

GregH

Of course we should not imply that FSX is a 'game' just because Prepar3D is not a game. ​That would insult the FSX community of which I remain a member, at least until P3Dv3 is launched in the [hopefully] near future. ​

Unfortunately, actual real world usage is a grey area, I am sure many people use FSX for more serious learning just as many people use P3D for entertainment. (And should not be) I don't really see either as traditional "gaming." That's all I will say about the whole P3D vs FSX minefield. =@

Edit: Sorry - I just see the way I wrote the title. That's where I used "Upgrading"
My bad. I got it right in the body of the post at least! I'll have to take one for the team.

Well said! And well done for admitting a mistake. That's rare on most forums. :hi:

Unfortunately, actual real world usage is a grey area, I am sure many people use FSX for more serious learning just as many people use P3D for entertainment. (And should not be) I don't really see either as traditional "gaming." That's all I will say about the whole P3D vs FSX minefield.

All the same, what business is it of yours?

Whether here in the PMDG forum or elsewhere on AVSIM, I see that these licensing topics get shut down... as well they should be. But an undertone that seems to go unchecked and unfettered is all of this criticism and speculation regarding who's doing what with a given simulator.

Whether here in the PMDG forum or elsewhere on AVSIM, I see that these licensing topics get shut down... as well they should be. But an undertone that seems to go unchecked and unfettered is all of this criticism and speculation regarding who's doing what with a given simulator.

No comment.

The licensing topics get shut down because people begin to parse through the EULA and tell people what is valid and what is not valid (legal advice v legal information). In other words, people can provide links to information that would assist them in making decisions with legal implications, but they cannot offer to interpret it for them without a license. A lot of the posts here blurred that line, so they got shut down. The LM site is very clear on the matter, but whether someone's individual use fits into one of those categories provided by LM is their own determination (or in conjunction with their legal counsel, if that's applicable).

Wes was only sharing his observations and ideas - note the use of "I am sure of" instead of more absolute/factual terms. The only time an absolute was when an absolute was known. You'll note that he did not tell anyone what to, or what not to do - again, that's their own determination, and only an issue between LM and that individual. He may have walked close to the line, but he certainly didn't cross it in my eyes.

Kyle Rodgers

Thank you. I was about to say exactly this.

Hi Kyle, I was wondering, could I transfer my fsx license on the PMDG NGX (with expansion) from fsx to P3D and pay whatever difference (disabling it on FSX and enabling for P3D)? I don't want to continue with FSX anymore. Thanks for your response.

PMDG-777-EK-SIG-MAY1713-2_zps6f2ed2be.pn

Chidiebere Anyahara

Hi Kyle, I was wondering, could I transfer my fsx license on the PMDG NGX (with expansion) from fsx to P3D and pay whatever difference (disabling it on FSX and enabling for P3D)? I don't want to continue with FSX anymore. Thanks for your response.

Would've helped to read the post before asking this.

Licenses cannot be transferred.

Additionally, formal requests need to go to our official support site at support.precisionmanuals.com (though you will get the same response there if you ask for a license transfer).

Kyle Rodgers

Ah, OK, thanks John. The conversion to P3D just became a little more costly.

it will be definitely a little more costly then anticipated and certain things dont make over.

You'll be impressed with the differences (improvements) between the FSX and Prepar3D versions of PMDG's 737 & 777. Well worth paying full price again

Steve McLaren