Sign in to follow this  
RaptyrOne

Upgrading FSX to Prepar3d - must I purchase the aircraft again?

certain things dont make over.

I didn't find anything that I couldn't move over, except of course for those products with license limitations.  All sceneries and airports are working, albeit there is some tricks required for a few but they all made it.  If you run into anything be sure to check out the Prepar3D AVSIM forum next door.

There are a few minor issues with some old stuff leftover from FS9 that worked in FSX but does not in P3D such as certain lighting tricks for scenery. These have not affected many users.

Dan Downs KCRP

You'll be impressed with the differences (improvements) between the FSX and Prepar3D versions of PMDG's 737 & 777.

I thought they were exactly the same apart from the license?

I've looked on the PMDG website and can't see anything that refers to P3D improvements/exclusives.

The P3D version of the 737NGX has a narrow green strip at the top of the tailfin with "P3D" written in it :P

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Taken too literally, the first major difference most mentioned is the improvement in graphics rendering with DX11.  The in-cockpit shadows are very nice, and the rest of the world looks pretty good too.  There are differences between the products but I think it is mostly under-the-hood stuff that you will not notice. P3Dv2 has a much newer SDK than the old leftover from FS2002 used by FSX, and designers can opt to adopt to that and take advantage of advancement.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks for the info.

I'm hoping to get the 747 along with P3D 3.0 when they are both released and will probably purchase the NGX again for P3D 3.0 too when its compatible etc.Doubt I'll fly the 777 so will give that a miss. If the license was for both FSX and P3D I think I would have bought all 3 aircraft but with the licenses the way they are I will have to be more stringent in my purchasing.

I thought they were exactly the same apart from the license?

My point exactly

Steve McLaren

Based on the last few responses, I'm going to close this one down, as it's looking like it's taking the inevitable nosedive into a bunch of armchair lawyering and baseless opinion casting by people.

I'd thought to type out a response again here, but I think we've addressed this topic so many times that you'd be inundated with results if you'd take a moment to search the forum.

While the following thread was obviously posted prior to the decision to release products in P3D, it references the difficulties and intricacies of working with that platform:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/426627-a-few-notes-regarding-pmdgs-position-on-p3d-development/

Kyle Rodgers