Sign in to follow this  
IrishAirline99

Intel Xeon over 4690K?

I`m building a new PC for FSX. Some people have been suggesting me to get a Xeon over the 4690K. I`m not planning on overclocking but I`m leaving that option open by getting the 4690K. I personally think the Xeon is intended for CAD and modelling applications and not FSX? Should I just stick to the 4690K despite me probably not doing an OC?

Thanks. 

Why even buy an unlocked chip if you're not going to overclock?  Also, why not overclock?  You realize it's literally free performance you're just leaving on the table.  Intel actually includes auto overclocking technology in their CPUs now, and has done so for a number of years.  That's what "Turbo" is.  They don't push things to the limit, not even close.  Intel has to be 100% certain of a CPU's clockspeed so they run them well below their potential so they never have to deal with any problems that could arise.  

the main problem is the sim itself; it is not multithreaded and can’t really take advantage of the Xeon/’s power in this situation

check http://www.oc3d.tv/ for comparisons and hardware reviews

and http://cpubenchmark.net/ for cpu performance specs and comparisons (as well as other hardware type specs)

Well, depends on which XEON. The E3 series (socket 1150), is the same chip as the Core i5/i7, but with features like ECC RAM and 24/7 operating. Also, has lower TDP, but lower frecuencies and turbo-boost. Forget about OC.

I'd stick with the 4690K.

Cheers :)

N.-