Sign in to follow this  
RockOla

Royal Duke "from sun to storm" (massive 4k screens)

Good evening fellow pilots

These are shots from my last Turbine Duke flight above the US, from Glenns Fall (KGFL, freeware masterpiece from Ed Cox) to Greenbrier Valley (KLWB, one of the global airports from Orbx)

The flightplan, displayed by SimlauncherX :

fp.gif

5 States if I am not mistaken : New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia.

Here is my personnal navlog (a Google Spreadsheet which purpose was fuel planning, but went a bit more sophisticated)

navlog.gif

And the pics from the flight, unedited (post processing done in game via Reshade)

KGFL-KLWB001.jpg

KGFL-KLWB002.jpg

KGFL-KLWB003.jpg

KGFL-KLWB004.jpg

KGFL-KLWB005.jpg

KGFL-KLWB006.jpg

KGFL-KLWB007.jpg

KGFL-KLWB009.jpg

KGFL-KLWB010.jpg

KGFL-KLWB011.jpg

KGFL-KLWB012.jpg

KGFL-KLWB013.jpg

KGFL-KLWB014.jpg

KGFL-KLWB015.jpg

KGFL-KLWB016.jpg

KGFL-KLWB017.jpg

KGFL-KLWB018.jpg

In the end, I always compare my real fuel consumption with what was planned. Not too far until the approach :

fuelcompare.gif

I hope you enjoyed this flight as much as I did 

I use that version of KGFL as my home base, a true freeware masterpiece.  Would you mind pointing me in the right direction to that repaint?  Love it!  Im off to replicate your trip right now.

Duke dressed up very nice.....love those east coast mountain ranges!

HLJAMES

Do you think the Dash 8 Q400 could land at KGFL? My grandmother comes from Glens Falls. 

Great shots man :)

I use that version of KGFL as my home base, a true freeware masterpiece.  Would you mind pointing me in the right direction to that repaint?  Love it!  Im off to replicate your trip right now.

I did that paint some time ago, you can find it here on the Avsim library, just look up N1029G.

Cheers

TJ

I did that paint some time ago, you can find it here on the Avsim library, just look up N1029G.

Cheers

TJ

Lovely repaint, great job!

Also has the colors of my soccer team :P

Will save it on my PC if i buy the TDuke any time soon.

Cheers :)

N.-

How can we get NavLogs like that?

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

First I would like to thank you all for your kind comments

Just WOW.

I'd love to have that navlog.

How can we get NavLogs like that?

I will post a link to the spreadsheet soon. Basically you type your route (or copy paste it from Simroutes), and the weather information (not mandatory).

The spreadsheet then computes, for each mile, your fuel consumption. You get the clean navlog which sums up these detailed calculation for each point of your route. Stay tuned.

Do you think the Dash 8 Q400 could land at KGFL? My grandmother comes from Glens Falls.

I do not fly the Q400 but as far as I know it has good STOL performance. Knowing KGFL has a 5000ft and a 4000ft runway, it should be more than enough.

Cheers

TJ

Thank you for your repaint. I was looking for a template to create an vintage livery with this pic in mind :

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/8/0/4/1843408.jpg

But I found your repaint which really suits the Royal. Thanks alot you saved me 4 nights of work.

First I would like to thank you all for your kind comments

I will post a link to the spreadsheet soon. Basically you type your route (or copy paste it from Simroutes), and the weather information (not mandatory).

The spreadsheet then computes, for each mile, your fuel consumption. You get the clean navlog which sums up these detailed calculation for each point of your route. Stay tuned.

I do not fly the Q400 but as far as I know it has good STOL performance. Knowing KGFL has a 5000ft and a 4000ft runway, it should be more than enough.

Thank you for your repaint. I was looking for a template to create an vintage livery with this pic in mind :

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/8/0/4/1843408.jpg

But I found your repaint which really suits the Royal. Thanks alot you saved me 4 nights of work.

Glad you like it.  Yeah the T Duke is a fantastic airplane but not an easy plane to paint, not only is it a challenging shape, the lack of an offical paint kit makes areas around the nacelles tricky, especially with the oil splattered textures.  With Sean Young's help, I was able to create a blank series and uploaded it.  You can use it in conjunction with the Pistion Duke v2 kit.  If you cut out the nacelle sections from the T Duke blanks, then layer them into the P Duke paint kit, you have a makeshift paint kit for the T Duke v2.  Again the problem is with lack of layered nacelle textures, it is difficult to paint the nacelles with an oil splatter overlay.  Hopefully Sean can release an official T Dukev2  kit sometime.

Cheers

TJ

Fantastic shots from a sure great flight!

One question though:

What weather radar is this You are using here?

(...) not an easy plane to paint (...) especially with the oil splattered textures.

Fortunately, I never had to see these textures until now  :smile: I overheated and blew the engines on purpose just for tests. Joke aside, I find the Duke really pleasant, and not so demanding to fly. Keep in mind what you have to monitor (basically T°, torque and NG) and the means you have to manage (power, prop lever, oils doors, speed) and you're all good.

Seriously, this thing can safely climb from ground up to CRZ level at an average 2500 ft/mn without much engine management. Serious things begin when you want to climb at 3-4000 ft/mn  :P

Fantastic shots from a sure great flight!

One question though:

What weather radar is this You are using here?

It is limited to ASN users. If you have ASN :

- download the weather radar gauge from the library http://goo.gl/oR8Pel

- setup your Royal Turbine for 2 GTN units (Realair Tool), but do not enable the 2nd GTN to save performance (F1 tool)

- modify your panel.cfg as below, where xx is the number following your last gauge (it should be 20 if you did not modify your panel.cfg previously)

gaugexx=RolasnRadar!ORadGauge, 398,563,390,460, sweep|beam|icing|nogps

This integration perfectly fits and works, but you have to click on the radar screen as there is no button. Upper right tunes the radar range, upper left the angle of scan, and left middle cycles between power off / test mode / normal mode.

Thank You very, very much for this detailed info in Your post above (#14) - really appreciated!

Thank You!

Certainly going to check it all out ASAP!!