Sign in to follow this  
Grumstolen

Missing SID/STARS in FMC

Hey guys ! 

I have been learning the PMDG for some time now, and just figured out how to use charts to find my SID and STARS. But the desired SID doesn't show on the FMC. 

I'm flying from EKCH in Copenhagen to ENZV in Stavanger Norway. My route is: (SID) MIKSI P990 AAL L621 ZOL (STAR).

The SID that I have found is called MIKS1E and leads to my MIKSI waypoint. But the SID does not appear on the FMC. Is there something I have misunderstood in my learning of the PMDG? I have read that you might have to download them manually, but the links people have put up just links me to navigraph.com homepage. 

Charts im using: http://www.pentekesti.com/sites/default/files/charts/EKCH.pdf

Hope there is some help out there ! 

Thanks in advance 

Regards Christian Jensen

Edited by Grumstolen

Unless you have updated your AIRAC, it is very unlikely that many of the charts you find around the web will match it.  You can find current charts for most all 'European' countries at Eurocontrol - it's free, but you will have to register to get in.  You can get new AIRAC data at Navigraph or Aerosoft - both are good and both are payware.  You can also buy LIDO charts at Navigraph.

David Jones

Thanks a lot!

But, if I use Eurocontrols new charts, my "old" cmc data would still be outdated right?

Christian Jensen 

But, if I use Eurocontrols new charts, my "old" cmc data would still be outdated right?

Hi,

Right...

you can update your FMC AIRAC database or by navigraph or by Aerosoft LIDO (Nav Data PRO). Both the sites have different combinations of prices i.e. monthly (13 AIRAC per year to be exact, like in real life) or quarterly etc.

Best Regards

Andrea

Ive just look though my navagraph charts I dont see any STAR ZOL

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

A current route (1509) would be something like EKCH VEDA1C VEDAR L997 LUNIP (STAR)  - the STAR would be chosen according to what runway you plan to land on, so after LUNIP you'd pick a transition leading into your STAR of choice.

David Jones 

Hi thanks for your answers ! 

Andrea: Thanks for the info! It got me wondering, how important it is to update the FMC data several times a year? It's not like the airports change their SID/STARS often, or do they? 

David: Again, thanks for your reply ! How do you decide this route? I just use the RouteFinder but is that inaccurate? 

Christian Jensen

Christian - I am fond of SimBrief.  That site provides routes from multiple sources and you can chose any of them and validate against the current AIRAC.  Then you can compute a complete flight plan, with fuel estimates, and export it in a number of formats including that for PMDG. Read all about it here http://www.simbrief.com/home/?page=home. A plan for the T7 or NGX should not include SIDs and STARs for import - you add those after you've loaded the generated plan from SimBrief or any other planner you like.

David Jones

Andrea: Thanks for the info! It got me wondering, how important it is to update the FMC data several times a year? It's not like the airports change their SID/STARS often, or do they? 

Well -- it depends. Any individual airport's procedures may not change that often, but across the world (even across a single country) there are hundreds, if not thousands of little changes each cycle. Airways get renamed, or re-routed or deleted, new airways are added, fixes are added and removed correspondingly and occasionally a ground-based navaid is removed from service (or, rarely these days, added). So whilst your SIDs and STARs might not have changed, if you try to use a recent route with an outdated AIRAC you might find that you're missing waypoints or airways enroute.

I update every month because, well, I feel as though I might as well -- I fly the sim often enough that I get plenty of wear out of each cycle and I don't feel as though it costs that much -- also, flying online I know that I'm never going to get anything that might throw me. However, you could certainly get away with only updating a few times a year, especially if you keep an eye on the major changes in the airspace you normally fly in.

David: Again, thanks for your reply ! How do you decide this route? I just use the RouteFinder but is that inaccurate? 

Christian Jensen

If you fly online atc like profesional network pilotedge, having the airac database updated is key because filling flight plans and atc communications will be based on real life, accurate and updated navigation data.

if you fly offline i would say once a year is more than enough, you can live with small mismatches time to time choosing an old sid or a different fix/airway.

my 2 cents, hope this helps

Manuel Merelles

ENZV ZOL is simply a fix that appears in approaches. The idea is to have the same AIRAC data (navigation database files) in the planner, as we have in the aircraft navigation system. Bear in mind that these AIRACs represent a snapshot of navigation data from a time period that is way off that used in the original navdata found in the sim. Frequencies may be different, runways altered and so on. Planners don't generally itemise the differences between sim and AIRAC so we don't just make a plan anywhere with a recent AIRAC as we need to be sure the scenery includes the airport with runways as is found in the AIRAC. If we use plans from up to date sources or fly online we might need to keep the AIRAC in the plane fully up to date. If we only use a planner program to make plans then we only need ensure the AIRAC is the same date in the planner and the plane. Naming navaids and SIDs STARs from one AIRAC to another is not always the same, so the planner AIRAC may have slightly differing names to that of the plane. Very few planners make plans from the same navdata files as the plane navigation system uses, so expect some items named slightly differently in these cases. SIDs and STARs are not to be confused with a GPS flight plan. SIDs and STARs are course instructions that may contain waypoints that are not necessarily flown over. To use these in the GPS plan file is a mistake and would take us off course. Make a plan between airports transitions of the most likely SIDs STARs we will be using with regards the runways and weather reports.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Great response once again. thanks. 

David: SimBrief looks great! And to be able check if its up to date with the right circle is perfect! Now I just need to figure out how to get the up to date SID and STARS, and for that I will check Eurocontrol out  :-) One thing though... When I type in my EKCH and ENZV it gives me MIKSI as the first waypoint. Would that become visible on the FMC if I update it? 

Skelsey: Thanks for the reply ! I understand. With all the airports and airways in the world there would have to be a few changes ;-) I'm currently only playing single player, so I might just update it once in a while. But thanks for the tip!

Mmerelles: Yeah, updating once or twice a year is what im going to do then! The updates isn't that expensive actually.. 

SteveW: Thanks for the long explanation ! Helped me a lot with the general understanding of flight planning!

Cheers ! 

Christian Jensen

Edited by Grumstolen

SteveW: Thanks for the long explanation ! Helped me a lot with the general understanding of flight planning!

You're welcome! I'm very pleased it gave you some tips.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Christian - sure; it is part of MIKSI1B or MIKSI1C...

David Jones

Your charts are seven years old and I don't know what AIRAC cycle you have in the NGX. Take a  look at  Navigraph Ultimate - https://www.navigraph.com/Subscription.aspx or something similar from Aerosoft.

What did you expect with out of date information? Try Tutorial 1 and read the Introduction Manual.