Sign in to follow this  
Grumstolen

Missing SID/STARS in FMC

David: Alright, will be updating it soon then! Thanks again. 

pcubine: Honestly, I have been a casual gamer with FSX for a long time, and the fact that all the data had to fit together didn't actually cross my mind at all. My AIRAC is from 1109 i think, so yeah... haha... 

But 7 years old charts? From what I have read, it's from 2012. Am I wrong? 

As I'm still quite casual gamer, I don't think I will be spending 80 euro on charts and FMC data (per year). Is there an alternative for charts?  

Edited by Grumstolen

Hello there. Actually you do not need Navigraph ultimate subscription. But I would warmly suggest the FMS Data subscription. It comes as four-cycle per year or 13-cycles per year, it is your choice. Than with that you can actually upgrade Simbrief with latest data and also PMDG airliners FMC and everything will be compatible. Also take a look at the programs called Aivlasoft EFB and PFPX. Both of those you just buy and forget, they are not subscription based. And also with the purchased FMS data you can update those programs to for the compatibility with your airliner. With for example PFPX it would give you actual route with SID and STAR which best fit the calculated route. So the charts become less important but not totally irrelevant because you will still need some important information about departure and arrival airports. But now flying would be very much possible even without charts.

Hope this helps a little bit

Marko

Hi Marko! 

Sounds like a great feature that a lot of people could benefit from! The thing is, I actually like planning my flight, finding the right SID and STAR, and then just let a program fx. SimBrief make a route in-between. I may be playing FSX once or twice a week, and then I make myself a singe flight. But if I need a quick route, I would definitely check PFPX and EFB out! Thanks for the tip Marko :-)

Christian Jensen 

Edited by Grumstolen

You are welcome. Actually Simbrief is a great flight planner program with great fuel predictions. And just if you didn’t know you could also use it to check the route you programmed previously with SID and STAR. Just need to manually enter SID before the first point in route and STAR after the last point. Then just click validate route and voila the program tells you if your route is plausible or not.

Marko Lisica

How come, that SimBrief is able to verify your route WITH SID and STARS, but isn't able to create one with them? Just curious ..

Christian Jensen

Edited by Grumstolen

That is a good question. Really hope someone will give answer to that. But I think that Simbrief can validate everything connected because internaly have installed FMS with all the SIDs and STARs relevant to particular route and runway. I also hope that Simbrief implement the option for full route planing with all the SIDs and STARs in route.

Regards

Marko Lisica

From what I have read, it's from 2012. Am I wrong?

That is when the charts were printed. At the top of each chart in white letters on a black background it states "Licensed to SMA. Printed on 12 July 2012. Notice: Printed from an expire Revision. Disc 12-2012."

But now flying would be very much possible even without charts.

Surely, you jest.

That is when the charts were printed. At the top of each chart in white letters on a black background it states "Licensed to SMA. Printed on 12 July 2012. Notice: Printed from an expire Revision. Disc 12-2012."

How do you know they are 7 years old then? Just a question, so that I will be able to detect the date of charts. 

Regards 

Christian Jensen

Edited by Grumstolen

How do you know they are 7 years old then? Just a question, so that I will be able to detect the date of charts. 

Regards 

Christian Jensen

Christian

When I clicked on the link you provided in post #1 the first chart I came to was 10-1P Airport Briefing text which was dated 21 Nov 2008. The earliest chart I saw was 10-1VA dated 20 Apr 2005 and the latest was 10-1P7 dated 16 Sep 11. Also the last copyright date I saw was 2011. I can't say with any certainty they are 7 years old. I could have easily said they were 10 years old or 4 years old.

You could say these pages are only text and not really charts. However, they are as important as SIDS, STARS, and Approach charts because these text files are the rules and regulation of the airport and contain information concerning Arrival and Departure procedures, runway assignments, noise abatement, taxi instructions, etc.

Oh, I can see that now. Well, I might never go into those parts of Flight Simming as that would take way to much time to really get into. But again, thanks for the replies. I will be taking my PMDG to the skies very soon, and thats because of you guys' answers and help, so thank you again! 

Christian Jensen

>>

How come, that SimBrief is able to verify your route WITH SID and STARS, but isn't able to create one with them? Just curious ..

Christian Jensen

<<

Hi, Christian

SIDs and STARs are generally assigned dynamically in the real world and are not usually set as part of the route.  SIDs are frequently associated with a runway that will be assigned at takeoff time - in many cases the STAR is chosen in a similar fashion since they, also, are frequently associated with the landing runway that will be assigned according to the current wind and traffic.  If SimBrief were to create them as part of the plan, they frequently would be incorrect.  In addition, the formats of most add-on flight plans don't contain the constraints for speed and altitudes that are generally a part of SIDs and STARs so those are lost and they are important.

David Jones

Christian Jensen

I spoke about this in my earlier post. These are two separate components of routing. First we have the GPS plan which takes us to each waypoint in the plan. Second we have SIDs and STARs, these are not components of a GPS plan. SIDs and STARs are descriptions of routing around a busy airport and have waypoints that are referred to for direction that are not flown over so are not put in a GPS plan file.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com