Sign in to follow this  
jbcallender

I can overlook the micro stutters and occasional blurries...

I was flying into Orlando (KMCO) yesterday in the 737NGX about dusk and I marveled at the detail and the complexity of P3D, even with some faults.  As I turned in the waning sunlight, I saw the shadows dance across the cockpit and the dials and control knobs.  The shadows cast by the knobs were longer due to the setting sun.  The light had a slightly orange cast to it as it often does late in the day.  The shadows lengthened as my angle to the sun flattened.  Today as I took off from Dallas I could see the shadows of the scattered clouds play across the landscape as I climbed out.

Both Microsoft and LM get ripped in the forums for things that we all wish worked a little better, but the truth is that this is an amazing piece of software to start with and LM has added and extended some tremendous features.  We are able to create and live in our own little simworlds and interact with each other in real time on a worldwide basis.

Thanks, MS and LM.

Jeff Callender

Jeff Callender

Stay tuned Jeff, more good things to come ...

ESP was complex and LM have extended that complexity even more with a set of software with an SDK that is very robust (even if quirky).

Cheers, Rob.

Amen to that, Jeff! It had been a while since I flew just before sunset but last weekend I did so and I was in total awe of all I saw... The light, the colors, the shadows (those long tree shadows!), everything, just... WOW!!!

Stay tuned Jeff, more good things to come ...

You are killing me (us), Rob...! Since you posted this after what Jeff said, I can only think about even better light effects...? Or at least even more graphical goodies...? I know, you can't say, but I am looking forward to v3 even more now!  :wink:

I have to agree with the OP that overall, the scenery complexity, as far as what is seen), is nothing short of beautiful.  I find myself flying the PNW, climbing through the clouds, with the majestic Rockies poking through in the distance.  The lush landscapes and sprawling forests puts a smile on my face.  As for the stutters, while they are annoying, I can look past them as well, until I have to land. :(

I like how LM baked in more rendering options, but they can play hell with the system if not tuned correctly.  I recently tried my hand at running Reshade, which appears to have a better affect on the sim as well.  As for the stutters, I think that boils down to third party add-ons, which is another beast to tackle in another thread.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

The tendency has always been to focus on the problems. That's why most posters start a thread - to solve a problem - and generally get some really good help. It makes it all too easy to overlook just how far we've come in the flight sim world and what an exceptional job the LM team has done with P3D.

I haven't been able to fly IRL for some years but climbing up through a cloud level and breaking out to VFR on top gives me the same goosebumps in P3D as it did IRL.

With the hardware advances continuing, we simmers are a LUCKY bunch - and from what Rob teases us with - it only promises to get better.

If it doesn't - I propose we all go to Northern California and visit Rob personally to voice our displeasure!!

:Devil:

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Ah, a happy topic! I find myself flying at dusk just to watch the sunset lighting, its really incredible that we can see this on a home sim. To the OP, well said.

If it doesn't - I propose we all go to Northern California and visit Rob personally to voice our displeasure!!

I would gladly join you Vic but, coming from the UK, I would probably get an OOM mid-Pond. :p0502:

ROFLMAO!

:smile:

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

The only thing I don`t understand is why it is so hard to build a x64 bit platform for a Flight SIM (Not a game)?! I truly understand the complexity of the software that is so unique, but it shouldn`t be that hard, right?! I have the FSX box in fully DX10 and all tweaked. But just this weekend, I bought and install the P3D Academy and man, I was impressed. Can wait their progress to bring a Flight Sim so much a better and stable software. 

My%20Signature.jpg

The coding isn't the issue @bthiago - trying to maintain backwards compatibility and not break any other code is what takes time. Make a few changes - see what's broken - repeat until done. Not THAT easy a task when you think about it.

Vic

You are all welcome to stay (for a few days anyway, but bring water) ... we currently only have 1 spare bedroom but I'm sure I could add some additional living space/beds ... then some of you could experience first hand how well P3D looks and runs at 30Hz ... no tricks, no video magic, no turning a blind eye, no "perception" of stutters, first hand visuals.

why it is so hard to build a x64 bit platform

3rd party ... both content providers (commercial vendors you see here and elsewhere) and development tools (those used by LM developers) used in the building of the platform and the SDK ... check out the SDK, many components to it and many of those components might need updating also.

I can't say any more, but if P3D didn't OOM (regardless of what you toss at it) with great performance and visuals, would you care whether it was 64bit or 32bit?

Cheers, Rob.

... then some of you could experience first hand how well P3D looks and runs at 30Hz ... no tricks, no video magic, no turning a blind eye, no "perception" of stutters, first hand visuals.

Umm - would that be P3D 3.0 Rob?   :Big Grin:

Smmmoooooch. You have a way with words there my friend. The image is quite lovely.

Umm - would that be P3D 3.0 Rob?   :Big Grin:

You catch on fast  :Applause:

Rich Sennett

I can't say any more, but if P3D didn't OOM (regardless of what you toss at it) with great performance and visuals, would you care whether it was 64bit or 32bit?

You are killing me- KILLING ME!!!!!

But seriously, no, I wouldn't care!