Sign in to follow this  
1redbarron

Backing up FSX installation to discs

Windows 7 64-bit

Microsoft FSX Gold Edition

I have copied and pasted my FSX folder on to my 2nd larger hard drive, so yes, I do have a back up copy of my full installation of FSX. But should the unthinkable happen and my whole system packs up/blows up/catches fire or whatever,  I am thinking of also backing up to discs. But........... 

............How do I back up my installed FSX installation to discs please. The total size is 22.2GB and will require 5 discs.

I use Nero 11 for normal backing up but have never done anything on this scale before. At the moment when trying to back FSX I get told there isn't enough space on the disc, obviously.

What I was hoping would happen is the software would save to a disc and then when that one was full request another disc, and so on until the back up is completed to all discs. But I haven't worked out how, or even if I can do that with this software.

Any help/advice appreciated. Thank you

Ehm, you are aware of the fact that todays HDD are actually the safer backup system than any disc? A CD or even a DVD is not that stable, it can easily be scratched, broken or simply the layer can fall off the plastic disc after several years (http://www.myce.com/news/cd-recordable-discs-unreadable-in-less-than-two-years-6450/ or http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/cds-truth-cddvd-longevity-mold-rot/)

I would recommend backing up on an external HDD drive. Like this, it is basically safe for decades, in any case longer compared to a versatile disc.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

I haven't used Nero in a while but I recall there is a tab somewhere called DiscSpan. That should work. But, if not, there is a freeware alternative available here http://www.howtogeek.com/76264/how-to-burn-data-across-multiple-dvd-or-cd-discs/ .

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

If you just reinstall your Fsx folder backup with for example a new OS it may not work because the OS doesn't know where files for Fsx are.

Also if you have spent money on payware then most of them may not work due to Fsx installs using the registry. You could only put that copy back on the compt it came of with same OS.

So the best thing is to backup up the disc or discs with example Acronis or Paragon, both have free versions that work ok.

I try to do this once month on to my 1tb disc, doesn't take long.

Windows 7 64-bit

Microsoft FSX Gold Edition

I have copied and pasted my FSX folder on to my 2nd larger hard drive, so yes, I do have a back up copy of my full installation of FSX. But should the unthinkable happen and my whole system packs up/blows up/catches fire or whatever,  I am thinking of also backing up to discs. But........... 

............How do I back up my installed FSX installation to discs please. 

Best tool is 

FSX SE and P3D - FSCubed Scenery Backup Tool

Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore(water Cooled) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Hybrid, 64 DD4 @ 2800 2 x 2x M.2 in raid 0.

I've read the manual for the FSCubed Scenery Backup Tool and I see no place that they claim to handle a new OS (think registry entries - hidden and otherwise). Or, for that matter, I don't see anything indicating it will handle anything like ORBX which stores data outside of the parent FSX folder structure. Has anyone actually tried to use it?

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

There isn't really any true way to backup FSX it's scattered all over the hard drive. Registry, appdata,programdata and other things. The only real backup is to backup your whole windows installation.

I use the simple, amazing and free for home use http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

I back up my entire system including FSX,P3D & Xplane once a month. I have a 2 TB drive in my desktop that is only used for my backups. It takes about 1 hour to fully back up everything. I have it set to keep 5 backups ( 5 months of backups ) and then delete the oldest as it creates a new backup.   If things go South I can install anyone of my 5 backups in approximately 1-2 hours and nothing needs reactivation.  If I have a Hard drive fail I can just replace it and install a backup.

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

There is a reg repair freeware program from Flight1 that will tell the registry where FSX (& FS9) sits.

t

So, it should not be so difficult, Copy the whole FSX folder, not forgetting the folder in 'My Documents', paste all, & do the registry fix.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

There is a reg repair freeware program from Flight1 that will tell the registry where FSX (& FS9) sits.

t

So, it should not be so difficult, Copy the whole FSX folder, not forgetting the folder in 'My Documents', paste all, & do the registry fix.

There is also info in Program Data, App Data Local, App Data Roaming and who knows where else add-ons may have stored things. There are also many, many registry entries that add-ons have created that will be missed. IMNSHO, the only way to do it right on a clean OS install is to reinstall everything related to FSX. That will save much grief and a lot of time.

Doug

Do what W2DR says backup the discs with sofware - most of them will have a free copy that will suit your purpose - I have used Acronis,macrium,paragon etc and do a backup once month. Have had my Win7 and FSX since 2009 and only used my backups when things went pear shaped.

I have Orbx,Pmdg,Aerosoft scenery and Airbus etc and if I install something new and things go wrong I use a backup - touch wood all been ok so far.

Have also used my backups to transfer to another disc.

Denis B

I've read the manual for the FSCubed Scenery Backup Tool and I see no place that they claim to handle a new OS (think registry entries - hidden and otherwise). Or, for that matter, I don't see anything indicating it will handle anything like ORBX which stores data outside of the parent FSX folder structure. Has anyone actually tried to use it?

Doug

Ask Jordan King here is very   knowledgeable  and a very nice guy. 

Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore(water Cooled) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Hybrid, 64 DD4 @ 2800 2 x 2x M.2 in raid 0.

In retrospect, I have used my backup portable drive to load the sim many times, BUT I also reloaded the payware stuff that needed to hack themselves into the registry. All this makes for a cleaner install anyway.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

I've read the manual for the FSCubed Scenery Backup Tool and I see no place that they claim to handle a new OS (think registry entries - hidden and otherwise). Or, for that matter, I don't see anything indicating it will handle anything like ORBX which stores data outside of the parent FSX folder structure. Has anyone actually tried to use it?Doug

Yup; I backed up my Prepar3d v2.5 scenery files last weekend, which produced a 351GB file in Win 10 ...theoretically, I will restoring to P3d V3.0 shortly after 12am (-5 Zulu)...I will let you know.

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2