Sign in to follow this  
Tomaz Drnovsek

SSD or Velociraptor

With SSD price per GB so low now, the Velociraptor can't keep up speed wise anymore. I still have one as a storage drive, but moved on to an SSD long ago for boot and app duties.

I would really go for an SSD. Although it does not change performance that much I tend to have less blurries using a SSD (FSX in my case, might be placebo) and of course, the loading times are greatly reduced. Nowadays, even a 500GB SSD has a reasonable prize, I would never buy a HDD anymore, unless you need plenty of storage capacity.

My setup for example consists of a 128GB SSD for the OS and other basic things (Word, Firefox, Photo-Software etc.), a 500GB SSD exclusively for FSX and BF4 as well as a fast 1TB HDD (7200rpm, 10000rpm would be to much noisy for me) for everything else, such as STEAM games etc. Then, I have a 500GB external HDD where I backup my OS Disk and my FSX Disk once every second month or so.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

I already have OS and stuff on SSD but also have another SSD and Velociraptor. One I'll use for P3D and other for storage. So, SSD is better choice for P3D than Velociraptor or there isn't much of a difference when it comes to P3D?

So, SSD is better choice for P3D than Velociraptor or there isn't much of a difference when it comes to P3D?

The loading times of p3d will benefit from being on an SSD, sometimes dramatically depending on the size of your install (AI, scenery etc.)

Definitely use the SSD for P3D and the VR for storage.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

But get this SSD

but also have another SSD and Velociraptor

Bought a Samsung 850 500gb Saturday. Put P3D and everything on it except for Opus,Asn and Ideal Flight. So far the 1 second stutter I would get sometimes with MyTraffic AI while on approach are gone. But the micro-stutters are still there with the Turbine Duke and Orbx Scenery.But overall the sim runs smoother. Am still testing now but I am very please with the SSD so far. With the HD I had time to make a pot of coffee, not now.

OS is on a 256gb. 

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV