Sign in to follow this  
Emilio_G

Almost lost my hearing with that LOUD ear piercing alarm of PA46T

I do not advise ANYBODY to use the Carenado Piper Malibu (PA46T) with earphones. There are circumstances (primarly descent/landing/takeoff) when an EXTREMELY LOUD EAR PIERCING alarm (beep beep beep) sounds and there is no way to mute it.

Gosh, the decibels on that thing should be prohibited, I had to yank off my earphones and I still have a headache!

Is there a way to mute that on the a/c? what about replacing it with a sound that is safe to people?

I have identified the offending sound as gearwarn.wav in the sounds folder. I have edited the sound somewhat to attentuate it like 40 dB to make it safer for humans (Yes, my ears still hurt!).

I have also noticed that the name is kind of misleading because the sound is continuously playing for this three items:

• Gear up when approaching, Gear down when climbing
  • Throttle below 27% (always!)
  • Flaps, for example if stationary on the ground and move the flaps lever. I suppose also when flaps are lowered when speed is too high.

I think find it non-sense that that dangerous sound is activated during odd circumstances such as operating the flaps when stationary (when made a full stop after landing). Sounds to me like a bug.

I have identified the offending sound as gearwarn.wav in the sounds folder. I have edited the sound somewhat to attentuate it like 40 dB to make it safer for humans (Yes, my ears still hurt!).

I have also noticed that the name is kind of misleading because the sound is continuously playing for this three items:

• Gear up when approaching, Gear down when climbing
  • Throttle below 27% (always!)
  • Flaps, for example if stationary on the ground and move the flaps lever. I suppose also when flaps are lowered when speed is too high.
I think find it non-sense that that dangerous sound is activated during odd circumstances such as operating the flaps when stationary (when made a full stop after landing). Sounds to me like a bug.
If you go into your aircraft.cfg you can change the percentage at which the gear horn sounds

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

I just looked and there is no such thing in the PA46T aircraft.cfg, the sound appears in sound.cfg but there is no trace of a percentage setting.