Sign in to follow this  
Tomaz Drnovsek

Trying to change refresh rate to 30 Hz

I have Samsung SyncMaster BX2335 LED - LED monitor - 23" and GTX970 video card. I tried to change the refresh rate in NVIDIA Control panel to 30Hz but when I press Test button the screen went black and the box with a message appeared:"Not optimum mode. Recommended Mode 1920x1080 60Hz". I searched Google if there's a way to disable or override that and didn't find anything. Maybe my monitor just isn't capable of running that but the message is a bit ambiguous.. not optimum.. ok so what if it's not optimum, why doesn't it say something along the lines that it's not possible? So is it? I know that in 4K monitors 30Hz is a possibility but people with "normal" monitors also said they can run 30Hz without any issues. What's the difference between Samsung and for example Dell which can run 30Hz? So, I have two main questions. First, can I achieve in any way 30Hz on my current monitor? Second, if I buy a new one (but not 4k!) how can I know that it's going to run an unsupported 30Hz mode and not be a jerk like my current Samsung?

What's the difference between Samsung and for example Dell which can run 30Hz?

Who said Dells will run at 30Hz?

I have a Dell 2407 and U3014 and both will only run at 60Hz.

That's both in NVCP and Windows.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

I don't think you really want your monitor to run at a 30Hz refresh rate.  I'm thinking that it will result in jerky motions or at a minumum, a blurred image when panning a view.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I don't think you really want your monitor to run at a 30Hz refresh rate.  I'm thinking that it will result in jerky motions or at a minumum, a blurred image when panning a view.

Well, i don't know about that, that's why I want to try.

People (who don't run at 30Hz) are telling me I don't wanna do that, it's not going to be ok, problems and stuff but on the other hand people who do run P3D on 30Hz refresh rate are telling me it runs fine... even better than fine. Here's the thing...

The reason I want to try that is because P3D doesn't support true fullscreen mode therefore no 1/2 refresh rate vsync like in FSX. That setting completely transformed my FSX experience, everything suddenly became smooth as silk, no more jerkyness, microsttuters, butter smooth if 30 FPS were maintained. In P3D all those problems are back because here you have to maintain 60 FPS if you want the same results as with 1/2 refresh rate vsync in FSX. Maintaining 60 FPS in P3D with addon stuff is pretty pretty hard. But there is a solution. People setting their refresh rate at 30Hz are reporting similar results as with running 1/2 refresh rate, no reports of jerky motions, blurry stuff or things like that. 

Who said Dells will run at 30Hz?

I have a Dell 2407 and U3014 and both will only run at 60Hz.

That's both in NVCP and Windows.

gb.

A guy in P3D forum said his Dell 24" run in 30Hz just fine, it's not native resolution, you have to create custom resolution in NVCP. A few others in LM P3D forum also mentioned this.

I'd just like to try and see if it works for me.

A guy in P3D forum said his Dell 24" run in 30Hz just fine, it's not native resolution, you have to create custom resolution in NVCP. A few others in LM P3D forum also mentioned this.

Yes I tried that and just get a black screen.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.