Sign in to follow this  
threexgreen

P3D Questions

Hi,

I'm thinking of switching over to P3D since I've always had a hard time getting FSX to run properly and I also like the prospect of an up to date sim that is updated on a regular basis. I'm just not sure what license I should purchase as a regular sim enthusiast? Also, I'm not certain about whether it really concentrates on hardcore flight simming as I read about this underwater operation thingy? I suppose it does as otherwise it probably wouldn't be so popular within flight simmers. If someone using P3D could provide me a quick heads up I'd be very grateful.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

A basic search of this topic would reveal that advice usually isn't given on this issue. Read the different EULAs over on LM's site and pick the one--if any--that you think best suits you.

Don't be surprised if this topic gets locked. Don't shoot the messenger.

EULA discussions are not permitted here because it's a decision you need to make, not a decision someone else can recommend.  

Unfortunately the EULA is often used by commercial members, competitors, and even platform specific fans as an attempt to platform steer a user.  People platform steer because they want to see a majority user base in their preferred platform of choice which will encourage more 3rd party support for their preferred platform.

The EULA is one such method used to platform steer, hence discussions regarding it get locked/removed.

I'll point you to the LM information about License and Usage:

http://www.prepar3d.com/frequently-asked-questions/

and

http://www.prepar3d.com/product-overview/prepar3d-license-comparison/

Cheers, Rob.

EULA discussions are not permitted here because it's a decision you need to make, not a decision someone else can recommend.

I hate to say it but that entire quote sounds like the American political climate as well. lol

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I hate to say it but that entire quote sounds like the American political climate as well

ha ha ... true ... doesn't Boeing have like 109 lobbyist ... all required to get that 787 in the air and making money for them ... even needed to get a ex-employee a head seat in the FAA. 

Cheers, Rob.

Also, I'm not certain about whether it really concentrates on hardcore flight simming as I read about this underwater operation thingy? I suppose it does as otherwise it probably wouldn't be so popular within flight simmers. If someone using P3D could provide me a quick heads up I'd be very grateful.

P3D simply is an enhanced version of FSX. And mainly enhanced graphically. The underwater thingy is (and probably should be) disabled right away because it hurts performance and isn't needed for flightsimming. So when it comes to simming it offers the exact same as FSX. It's as hardcore as you want to make it yourself. Or not. :wink:

I do wonder in what way you are having problems getting FSX run properly: P3D isn't a magic bullet that will solve underlying OS problems you might have.

Sorry for asking about licenses, I just came across this on the P3D site and it was unclear to me.

I do wonder in what way you are having problems getting FSX run properly: P3D isn't a magic bullet that will solve underlying OS problems you might have.

Performance problems mostly, but also minor issues that can be fixed but are still annoying. P3D on the other hand is newer of course and Lockheed Martin care about their product (updates etc.) unlike Microsoft, stopping after 2 SPs. I read about the eye candy that P3D apparently offers and cockpit shadows alone are a reason I am considering switching. Does P3D have a decent ATC and AI aircraft?

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

Mods - if this thread is going into a legit help mode - possibly switch title so we don't wind up getting it locked becuz someone decides to start the EULA/license discussion anew.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Subject Title changed to "P3D Questions".

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Does P3D have a decent ATC and AI aircraft?

ATC is the EXACT same as in FSX. Haven't used default AI so don't know about that. The default aircraft which you can fly are different so the AI planes may be different too. The way AI works and performs is also the same as in FSX though afaik. As I said, it's an enhanced version of FSX so most things are similar. The database for airports, VOR, ILS, etc. is still the same old 2006 database too!

P3D simply is an enhanced version of FSX. And mainly enhanced graphically. The underwater thingy is (and probably should be) disabled right away because it hurts performance and isn't needed for flightsimming. So when it comes to simming it offers the exact same as FSX

For the OP: This is nonsense. Read each release from 1.0 to 2.5 and you'll agree.

James McLees

P3D runs and looks better than FSX ever did. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

MyTraffic 6 officially supports P3D.  However, you can get UT2 working in P3D also with not much effort.  There are some changes that were made to P3D around AI traffic and you probably don't want to use FS9 era AI models in P3D.

P3D works better with more recent hardware both CPU and GPU.  If your expectations are to max all the graphics details with many 3rd party add-ons, then you'll run into VAS/Performance issues in v2.5.  P3D is more demanding of one's hardware than FSX is ... with that said, there is no reason you can't just turn off the P3D specific features (cloud shadows, volumetric fog, tessellation, etc. etc.) that are not in FSX and enjoy the same or better performance.

Yes, development of P3D continues.

Cheers, Rob.

My Traffic 6 works great,  Im getting loads of extra chatter on the default ATC,  i presume its from the extra traffic from My traffic 6,  i didn't think it would effect the default ATC so much,  its great though.  I really hope that statement is correct lol 

VoxATC and MyTraffic 6 play well together and greatly enhance my experience in 2.5.

James McLees