Sign in to follow this  
joemiller

i-7 4790k OC Guide

So I purchased an  I-7 4790k along with an Asus Z97 E board to fly FSX. I don't fly within P3D as it is pretty much useless to me at this point. I am waiting (if they go into this), for a 64bit version to deal with VAS.

Anyway, can someone recommend a guide to correctly OC the I-7  4790K ?  I have searched online but several I've reads are of different approach to each other, leaving me even more confused.

Joe,I have the Asus z97 A... board and just decided to o'clock

Using the EZ tune feature of bios...very simple..should only take about a minute..I now fly at 4.4 mhz vs 3.8 before

RICK , I5 4690k)

I5 9600k@ 4.8ghz    rx580 limping-along   2x  23" 1080P Monitors

P3D as it is pretty much useless

That's a pretty strong word.

Anyway, the concept is simple: don't bother with base-clock and use an offset so that you never see total vcore ever over 1.5v. Then move up your clock multipler until you have issues. Back down and there ya go. Delid if ya want and be sure that you're testing for long and hard enough. And avoid the temptation to use any auto or easy overclocking feature in your BIOS. Apparently none of them do it properly and with any notion of stability until Skylake (from what I've read).

And, btw, there is no shorter OC guide than what I just wrote. Amazing that that's the case. Who knew computer nerds were so verbose?

That's a pretty strong word.

Anyway, the concept is simple: don't bother with base-clock and use an offset so that you never see total vcore ever over 1.5v. Then move up your clock multipler until you have issues. Back down and there ya go. Delid if ya want and be sure that you're testing for long and hard enough. And avoid the temptation to use any auto or easy overclocking feature in your BIOS. Apparently none of them do it properly and with any notion of stability until Skylake (from what I've read).

And, btw, there is no shorter OC guide than what I just wrote. Amazing that that's the case. Who knew computer nerds were so verbose?

VAS.. That's the reason for.

Well, after following several advises including the ones on this post, managed to oc my CPU up to 4.7Ghz. I had gone up to 5.0Ghz but became unstable after flying for about 20 minutes; so I set it at 4.7Gh.. besides little to no improvement was noticed at 5.0Ghz.

A true  (+) Impact:

Something that made a true impact on my sim was setting Affinity Mask at =84 and enabling HT. Who would believe it? Before doing this and with the exact settings, I got around 19Fps... made the changes and it jumped to 28FPS. Just to make sure it wasn't "a thing of my mind" I tested it 3 times at both clock/affinity mask settings. I tested it under 70% traffic, PMDG 777-300, payware KSFO, ORBX N. CA, All other sliders set at 80%, 6.5 LOD.  CPU temps around 55 degrees Celsius. So, not bad- not bad at all.

With Sandy and  these settings, I would be at or around 12FPS.    So, I'm impressed with I-7 4790k.

And now Skylake has arrived; I am reading some good stuff. Not sure how much better would a 6700K be compared to I-7 4790K for FSX. For now I'll stay with my 4790K , since I just build it.