Sign in to follow this  
Demious

Want to step up to airliners, but cant find what I'm looking for

For several years I've been flying different GA aircraft, but I also would like to have a decent airliner in my collection and I've been looking around for what seems forever and I cant find anything that matches my wishes and interests. Lately I've been flying the Dash8 and it's an interesting aircraft to fly, for sure, but I really hate the looks of it when in the cockpit. I'm really not the kind of guy who wants to be looking at computer screens all day, I want the old-school charm of gauges.

I dont mind paying reasonable prices for a quality addon, but up to a certain limit. I'm not looking for something that costs hundreds of dollars, but prices as we know from PMDG are no problem.

What am I looking for:

Something with the size and complexity from, say a (reasonably) modern Boeing 737, or up. I do like the 737-200, but for me it doesnt have that same feeling as it's more modern versions. I'd be looking for the size of a 737-400, at least.

I'd like a serious addon. It doesnt have to be PMDG, but not too far off. I'm not really familiar with in this type of aircraft addons, so let me compare it to what I know from GA publishers. It doesnt have to be A2A, but definitely a step up from Carenado. I want more than just looks. And dont get me wrong, I do like to see some eye-candy, but I want more than just that.

I'm looking for a 2 person cockpit, not 3.

I dont mind to have a few digital gauges in my panel, say like we know from the C90B, or B1900D, but the majority of the instruments háve to be classic style gauges, I'm a real old-school kind of guy.

I'd like a serious FMS, not something that looks like the real thing, but which is simplified inside. It can be the universal style FMS, I'm familiar with that from the Dash8, but a Boeing style FMS would be appreciated.

I want to be able to fly the 2 person cockpit with a friend, the way it's supposed to be.

What do I not want:

I dont like the Airbus style of opperation. I dont mind a computer assisting me, but I'm not looking for an aircraft that is flown by the computer, while I assist the computer, so to speak.

Call me strange (I've got autism, so I know I am :Tounge: ), but I seriously despise colors that resemble anything close to gold. The cockpit from the 757/777 is very 'overstimulating' for me, meaning I cant feel relaxed in an environment like that and an environment where I can feel relaxed is very important to me. And in this same category, I'm not too fond of addons that are modeled after severely worn out aircraft. I love classic vehicles, but I'm the type of guy who would restore it, instead of using it as is. For example, the Milviz 737-200 is a beautiful reconstruction of the aircraft they modeled it after, but it's not my thing.

And, and I cant stress this enough, I do nót want to wait for so many years for an aircraft to be released. I've been set on the QW 737 for quite some time, but I'm simply done waiting. I'm looking for something I can buy today.

Well, that would be about it... So: 3... 2... 1... Shoot! :Big Grin:

Cheers!

Maarten

So you want a pre-glass/pre-EFIS in-depth airliner with a clean and tidy cockpit that can't be orange/brown?

The only P3D product I can think of that ticks all those boxes is Quality Wings Ultimaet 146 package. You'll get a choice of cockpits; the Avro RJ features a 737-400 style EFIS cockpit, whereas the BAe 146 is all steam gauges. Conveniently both come with an FMS, should you need it. I think it represents good value at $36 too.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

I'm going to preface this by saying that P3D is my primary sim so no trolling going on here. But, do you happen to have X-plane? The FlyJSim 737-200 sounds like it would fit your requirements minus the FMS. But if you want old-school, there's none better. It is easily one of the highest quality add-on across any platform that I have seen. Unfortunately, I don't know of a comparable offering for P3D.

Chris

Oh my god, yes of course! Typically me, looking so far that I dont see what's right in front of me... lol

Indeed the 146 pack, it's one of the smaller airliners, but it indeed matches my wishes. Thanks Chris!

I do indeed have X-Plane, but I'm pretty much stuck to P3D and I have been thinking to dive into X-Plane and have a serious look, but so far I simply didnt make the time to do so, I think mostly because I'm not familiar with the aircraft available.

Thanks snglecoil, I'll have a look at it.

Cheers!

Maarten

For "as real as it can be" the PMDG products are outstanding. No other vendors 737/747/777 is even close to the PMDG products. I have tested most of them and would never choose anything else but PMDG.

Jack

the Swede in Spain

For "as real as it can be" the PMDG products are outstanding. No other vendors 737/747/777 is even close to the PMDG products. I have tested most of them and would never choose anything else but PMDG.

Jack

the Swede in Spain

Ya i agree. But in case of the 747 i think you will want to wait because PMDG is already developing the 747v2 . Also the PMDG 777 does not offer the 200/200ER,300 versions of the 777 which the CaptainSim version does offer. Also Captainsim offers their excellent 707,727 and 737-200 airliners which are detailed and are pretty much hand-flown pre-EFIS airliners.

Swapnil Sirdeshpande

I totally get your point, Jack, PMDG are absolutely amazing! I've bought their 737 back when I was using FSX and when the new versions came out I downloaded the FSX:SE and bought FSX:SE especially for this aicreaft, but I cant find that true passion for the 800/900. If they had anything for my taste, I wouldnt think twice to buy PMDG, but unfortunatelly, my preference lies in another direction as theirs.

Swap17, those are indeed nice aircraft, but those are FSX only and I can probably get them installed with a migration tool, but I wont get support and support is something that I'd like to have when needed.

Cheers!

Maarten

Well I don´t want to argue about/discuss PMDG vs Captain Sim but search the net and you will find a lot of comments about the quality. I have tested them and will never more buy a Captain Sim product. Furthermore IMHO  the support is lousy. But as usual, we all have different opinions dependig of what we have experienced, our needs/demands and other things. So investigate and make a decision. If you think a product is what you are looking for and it meets your requirement, buy it, regardless of what other people think.  :smile:

Jack

the Swede in Spain

LOL, maybe that airliner that you are looking for is not aveliable. You checked every product i know about, sadly i cant recommend anything :(

But i'd stick with the Q400, although i do not own it (mostly becouse i get bored with long flights), for me its has a charm as it's a hands-on aircraft, which is important for me. Also it has excellent performance. Maybe one day i will buy it.

Cheers :)

N.-

I think I have to clarify my setup a little more. I've got a hardware panel with a monitor build in, to show the basic-6 part of the VC panel, which means that that part of the cockpit is zoomed to 0.30 and moved forward until it's right on top of the panel and the graphics have to hold up when zoomed in that much. Another aspect that comes around the corner with this type of setup, is that, if the addon cant hide the yoke, the yoke will be blocking the view on the gauges. So either the yoke has be able to move down to below the basic-6 part of the panel altogether, or the yoke must be able to be hidden completely.

No need to point it out, I know I'm probably the most difficult person on the planet when it comes to finding the right stuff for me. :wink: And this time it's important to me, because I'm not looking for á fun aircraft to fly from time to time in between so many others, but I'm looking for thé aircraft I could fly every day, all day.

Cheers!

Maarten

Wait for MD80 Rotate for X-Plane? :P

Look at their YT channel

Surely will be released soon :)

Cheers :)

N.-

The Milviz 737-200 isn't bad for FSX/P3D. You can have it old school, or have an FMS.

If you have X-Plane though, I second someone else's suggestion to check out the FlyJSim stuff. I believe I read that in their next update for their 732, there will be an FMS option as well. I'm not an X-Plane guy (yet), just something I remember reading recently. Also pretty soon you'll have the much anticipated IXEG 737 classic (3/4/500), which might be exactly what you're looking for.

The Quality Wings 146 is a very nice aircraft, and it handles like a dream.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Another thought, if you want an airliner that's quite hands on... PMDG J41! Okay, so it's not the biggest airliner you'll ever fly and it's only semi-steam, but I can't think of any aircraft that's that more fun! It has just the right amount of work to keep one person busy, and I respect any simmer that can fly one confidently (I like to think it separates the men from the boys)!

Oh and you get a choice of cockpit colours :) It's fairly similar Avro RJ inside, albeit with more complicated engines (although less of them). And it lets you explore airports you might not otherwise visit.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg