Sign in to follow this  
MindYerBeak

macrium,acronis or fscubed ?

I just noticed a new  fsx backup tool is  on the market. I was wondering what is the consesus as to what software would be best to backup fsx ? macrium(and or acronis) or the new fscubed ?

Thanks

When it comes to backups the last thing you want is to "try" something and see how it works. Just too much is at stake. For many of us FSX is the least of the worries when it comes to lost data. Many of have used Acronis for years and I never recall seeing a problem on a restore that wasn't some sort of user error. My recommendation is stay with a proven, tried-and-true product. Backups are just too important to fool around with. Go with Acronis and eliminate all the worry about a failed HDD.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Hi , I have a related question.

I am due for a HW upgrade, my current i7-920 is 6 years old, so want to move to the latest HW.

The only thing that is putting me off is the reinstall of FSX and all the addons again.

Is there a tool out there that can move the whole thing across to a new machine ?

Thanks

j harishanker

Is there a tool out there that can move the whole thing across to a new machine ?

This is from the  "Macrium Reflect KnowledgeBase"

----quote---

"Can I use Macrium Reflect to move my installed software to a new machine?"

It is a common query, on purchasing a new computer, can I use Macrium Reflect to move my installed software to a new machine?

Unfortunately, it is not possible to move applications from one installation of windows to another. When you install a program, not only are application files copied to your computer, typically the registry is updated and library binaries, services and drivers are often also installed on your OS too. These latter items may be specific to the version of windows you are running. This makes it impossible to separate the installed applications from the OS into which they are installed.

You have two options:

1) Restore the image of your old system on your new hardware (running ReDeploy, if required, to get your system booting on the new hardware). Your new hardware will then be running the OS from your old system. You will have access to all your installed software, but your OS may now bean older version than the one installed as shipped.

2) Install Macrium Reflect on your new system, and mount (explore) the backup of your old system, copying any documents and files as required. All applications required will need reinstalling on your new machine.

--end of quote---

I've used Macrium in a number of cases with no problems whatsoever. But like it has been said, it really depends on trying something and sticking with it if it does what you expect it to do.

The browse image function is also a plus (i don't know if any other product offers the same) and i use it quite often.

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

I use Macrium Reflect.  I ran a demo version of Acronis, it seemed to lauch a service at system start that had a bit of a resource footprint which seemed excessive.  Macrium doesn't seem to need anything until you want to mount a backup on your local file system.  Macrium has free and paid versions.  The free version uses a Linux system for rescue (restore from USB/CD), while the pay version provides a license for MS Windows PE 3.1.  Pay also allows to image a disk and restore to different size disks, and to do a folder/file backup.  Not sure if that really makes a difference or not for a home user.  Macrium uses the volume shadow copy service (same thing that Windows uses for "restore points").  Don't know if Acronis does as well (it probably does).

scott s.

2) Install Macrium Reflect on your new system, and mount (explore) the backup of your old system, copying any documents and files as required. All applications required will need reinstalling on your new machine.

I would suggest 2).

Bringing an image over to a new, or reformatted drive also brings all of the garbage that's in the registry and any extra unused files that might be present from previous installs, etc.

It might be initially painful, but the rewards are that you get everything fresh.

Ernest Pergrem

Reinstall everything fresh so no garbage gets moved, all registry entries get made, all .cfgs have the current data, and you clean out all the stuff you don't need/use anymore.

I ran a demo version of Acronis, it seemed to lauch a service at system start that had a bit of a resource footprint which seemed excessive.

I have Acronis and what you are probably referring to is the scheduler, which you can turn off.

I have Acronis and what you are probably referring to is the scheduler, which you can turn off.

Thanks.  It probably works well.  I went with Macrium since it did what I needed and was free for unlimited use.  After some time I was used to it and liked it so ended up getting a 3-pc license for all our machines.

scott s.

Farstone total recovery pro is excellent and has great compression

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

Looks like nobody trusts the new tool :)

As there are no negative comments about FSCubed, I suspect it's just that no one has tried it yet.

As to general backup utilities, there are no 100% guaranteed solutions. Even with Acronis and Macrium there are plenty of people online who have been unable to restore their backups when needed. Many of these may have been down to user error but that shows that the software/user interface is not infallible. I consider myself an experienced PC/Windows user but have been bitten once by Acronis after a hard drive crash! In the end, it's probably best to go for something with a good track record and keep your fingers crossed. I use Macrium now but haven't yet had to use the restore function in an emergency.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

As I understand FSCubed it will only backup FSX scenery, not the whole install. Great for restoring all the addon stuff though. It apparently won't handle FTX Global Vector and FSDT but works fine for everything else.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.