Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

XFMC Help

I tried posting over at the org but no one seems to be home.

I'm using the latest xmfc version in the DDENN Challenger.  I fly online and ATC gives me direct GFS.  I LSK GFS, place it on top of GFS (happens to be the first leg in my STAR) and then press EXEC.  In most FMC's this is how you do Direct To.  What is actually happening is that the FMC is calculating a track from previous fix to GFS.  In esscense it's like an "activate leg."  Then the autopilot will turn left (in this example pic) to intercept the track.  I don't want this.  I want to go direct GFS from PPOS.

Am I doing it wrong or is this not possible with XMFC?  I'm also using the latest navigraph airac if that helps.

xfmc.jpg

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

This is a strange behavior of XFMC.  You must have AP engaged on the XFMC CDU and at the same time have HDG selected on the CL30 MCP.  When you select AP on the XFMC CDU it should push you to the HDG mode on the MCP.

The problem is if just select NAV and engage the AP on the MCP, the autopilot will follow the flight plan as entered in XFMC and you're led down the path of thinking you did everything correct.  But, when you try to do a DCT-To, it doesn't work as expected.  So just make sure AP is selected on the XFMC CDU and you should have this solved.

Oh - perhaps I misunderstood how this was integrated into the CL30 (or lack thereof).  Maybe it's the CL30 EHSI that's not changing the line.  Maybe the FMC is calculating a new plot direct.  It's hard to tell.  

So I must press the AP button on the FMC and engage NAV mode using FMS1 as brg source?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

No…When you engage the autopilot through the AP button on the XFMC CDU, this engages the HDG mode on the MCP.  Disregard this and don't try to change it to NAV mode.

And yes you should have FMS1 as the source.

Ahhh...  I see what's going on.  

For some reason the new route is being plotted on the CL30 EHSI, but it's never quite from PPOS.  It is from the previous fix.  The FMC is, however, correctly calculating a track to the new fix.  And the CL30 AP will fly this new route as long as I'm using FMS1 in conjunction with NAV on the MCP.

p.s.  I understand about pressing AP on the FMC now.  But I don't like it.  It gives full control of the AP to the FMC.  For instance the FMC wouldn't let me set a certain cruise altitude for my route.  I know I can get to said altitude so I have to enter it on the MCP instead.  This is why I don't want to use the AP button on the FMC.  

In my pic here I departed KCRQ and flew southbound for a bit, then selected DTO JLI.  The FMC calculated new track, AP took me there.  But the new route shown on the EHSI is not PPOS DTO JLI.  It's KCRQ DTO JLI.  (new plot enhanced on photoshop)

fmc.jpg

Oh, nm scratch all that.  The XFMC is doing weird things.  I programmed a new route while airborne.  KIPL HEC RIVVR2 KLAX.

I now try to enter HEC as my DTO fix, but the FMC won't allow it.  It just goes to BINDY.  No clue why.  Turning AP on the FMC changes nothing either lol.

AHHHH!

fmcicky.jpg

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Once I land from my current flight I'll do some testing in the CL30 with XFMC.  Will report back with findings.

Don't think you can change the complete flight plan once airborne.  You can change the routing, but not the departure/destination.

Ok I thought I read on their forums that entering a new origin and destination changes things.  Maybe not.

It appears that usually the route works, but not always.  And the mileages don't update for me either.  Maybe I've got something screwed up (that's more likely since I'm an FSXer).

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Well, I dusted off my CL30 and did a flight from KBOS to KIAD.  Did a couple of DCT-TOs and they appeared to work correctly, although the red line did show a course from the previous point to the DCT-TO waypoint.  That definitely looks strange and I wish it was more like the real world.  Not sure why it's like this.

As freeware, I think XFMC is a great add-on for XP, but it surely is not perfect.  I use it regularly on several aircraft in my hangar from helicopters to GA to heavy iron and it works well in all of them.  

I bet my latest experience had to do with not resetting the unit

I'll try more testing

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Both Xfmc and Ufmc will try do weird things as they will also take over the vertical profile. I have never been able to completely disable their vnav behaviour and so like you I only really use Xfmc for programming the X-Plane fms. As an alternative the Rollon CRJ-200 has a "proper" fms, I'm sure there are private liveries for it on the org.

Haven't flown XP in some time (I know sacrilege!) but I think I found that each time I do another leg I must reload the aircraft to reload the FMS.

As for the issue - the red line won't update but the acft will fly the legs. If you want the plane to totally interact with xfmc you have to let xfmc takeover (I think there's a button the FMS). But I didn't like that mode.

Also unless you let the FMS takeover the aircraft, the LEGS page or the PROG page on the FMS won't update. That's a bummer but I'm not willing to relinquish control over to the FMS.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Good news, I guess....

Since last week I've been made various flights and the X-Plane FMS works like a charm. I just need to input all restrictions in it. So VNAV works ok.

And when ATC authorize DTC to a fix, just need to select the fix and "click" EXEC.

I'm still looking for a FMC's release by Denis.

Regards,

Yeah that would be swell, but I'm not sure how likely it is now.  I think he wrote he was slowing down work on the Global so I would presume the work on the native FMS on the CL30 would slow as well.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |