Sign in to follow this  
Zoho30

Important advice between the i7s 6700K or 5930K !

The primary reason I recently chose the 4790K over 6700K has nothing to do with them, but rather motherboards and drivers. I long ago grew weary of building cutting edge computing stuff hobbled by immature BIOS's, drivers, and secondary hardware. I'll leave that to folks who have no problem paying their money to be beta testers for the tech industry. I just want it all to work!

Greg

The primary reason I recently chose the 4790K over 6700K has nothing to do with them, but rather motherboards and drivers. I long ago grew weary of building cutting edge computing stuff hobbled by immature BIOS's, drivers, and secondary hardware. I'll leave that to folks who have no problem paying their money to be beta testers for the tech industry. I just want it all to work!

Greg

Yes that is true Greg. There are usually quite a few BIOS updates with a new architecture. I have to say though, in the past when I've opted for the new stuff I haven't had that many issues. No show stoppers or anything that would make me regret it. Just performance updates for better overclocking and minor bug fixes really.

I think "beta testers for the tech industry" is a bit extreme though. Expecting a new platform to be 100% perfect would be unreasonable. But yes, anyone wanting a mature platform with no BIOS updates should look elsewhere.

Greg

I tend to do the same thing, save a few dollars and a lot of headaches.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I tend to do the same thing, save a few dollars and a lot of headaches.

Makes a lot of sense, but my motherboard is a LGA1156 so I have to get a new one regardless.  I don't relish the idea of paying for a past generation of motherboard and processor when there is not much difference in cost to go with the latest generation that includes new speed options (even thought I probably won't initially take advantage of most of the options presented).  The 6th generation is awfully new, and I am concerned about being a "beta tester".  I have never before flashed a bios, but at least the MB I've ordered has a 2nd backup bios in case updating goes bad.

Art

it seems that i can keep my i7 3770k 4.5, i dont think i will have much benefits with the 6700k or am i wrong, i use fsx steam

The 6th generation is awfully new, and I am concerned about being a "beta tester".  I have never before flashed a bios, but at least the MB I've ordered has a 2nd backup bios in case updating goes bad.

Flashing a BIOS is no big deal at all these days. You shouldn't be concerned.

I think you may be overly concerned about opting for a new platform too. Yes, there will no doubt be UEFI updates, but it's very unlikely that they will be for any major issues. It is true that there have been new platform in the past that have had the occasional significant issue, but it's rare.

i have owned the 4770k, 4790k, 5820k and now own the 6600k because the 6700k is not available to buy in the u.s yet that i know of,out of the ones i had the 5820k was the worst performance, to my surprise i have seen no difference in performance between the 6600k and the 4790k both clocked at 4.4ghz. my skylake 6600k is paired with ddr4 gskill 3200 mhz ram with 15-15-15 35 timings and the superclocked gtx 980ti.the most expensive part in your pc for gaming should be your videocard, now when the 6700k comes out i will probably buy it, or hold off until next years refresh or cannonlake.i am guessing there will be a 6790k refresh.anyone that has an ivybridge or newer, its not really worth the upgrade to skylake.i chose too because my last system the 5820k was damaged my lightning even with a surge protector.i was extremely surprised how well a 4 core without hyperthreading runs.hyperthreading in some cases kill performance.i would also like to add i am running 2 samsung sm951 m.2's in my skylake build as the higherend motherboards have 2 m.2 slots. 2200 mbps read and 1500mbps write along with a monoprice 4k led monitor, but for 400 bucks it was cheap and looks really good for a budget 4k monitor. just my thoughts, buy the 6700k.

Thanks for the assurances Martin.

i have owned the 4770k, 4790k, 5820k and now own the 6600k

Wow!  I haven't upgraded (until now) since an i7-860.

Art