Sign in to follow this  
louiskb

Buying a new PC and looking to boost FSX.

I'm going out to buy a new computer next week, and have found two so far with the following specs. Which one do you think would have the superior performance with FSX? I'm planning on using VATSIM, Orbx, Aerosoft sceneries, Airbus X and possibly REX. I'm also open to over-clocking.

PC1 (Considerably cheaper)

Intel Core i5-4460 Processor (3.20 GHz, 6MB cache)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX-960 Graphics

2TB HDD + 120GB SSD

16GB RAM 

Windows 10 Home

PC2 

Intel Core i5-4570 Processor (3.3 GHz, 3.7 GHz with TurboBoost, 6 MB cache)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX-750 Ti Graphics

2 TB HDD

8 GB RAM

Windows 8.1 (Upgrade to Windows 10)

Thanks!

Do either processor have the 'K' suffix?  If not, then I would look at one that does, so you have some ability to overclock. 

I'm running a i5-3570K at 4.2GHz, which is an nice safe overclock and can't imagine what FSX would be like at its default of 3.4GHz, which cpuboss rates slightly higher than both of those.

Ernest Pergrem

I agree with airernie, get a processor that you can overclock. Also it's very hard to get a system that can slay FSX!

I just built a computer a month ago and after a very intensive research below are great spec if you have the cash.

Processor: Intel 4790K
Processor Cores: Quad
Processor Speed: 4.7 OC Stable (highest in game 2nd core 70 degrees)
PSU: 1.2 Corsair AX
Case: Corsair 780T White
RAM: 16 @2400 (Hyper Beast X)
Nvidia: Titan X - Video Memory: 12GB
Mother Board: Asus Maximus Hero VII
Hard Drives: x2 HDD (2TB) x2 Samsung SSD (256GB) - FSX and OS on SSD
Operating System: Windows 7 64 Pro
CPU Cooling: Corsair Liquid Cooling H100i GTX
FSX SE

FPS with PMDG 777
GROUND : 35 TO 40
AIR: 55 TO 60

Demo: (Texture loss and blurriness is cause by my windows movie maker and Youtube)

Neither one will allow for running high scenery settings with complex aircraft but, like MarkW, I think you'll do much better with #2.

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'm planning on using the Aerosoft Airbus in  airports like UK2000 Gatwick, do you think I'd be able to achieve 30fps with these systems as they are? I'd like to overclock but I'm struggling to find anything that will on my budget of £700. Also do you think I'd achieve better FPS if I switched over to Prepar3d? Being as I think it can use all 4 cores.

I'm struggling to find anything that will on my budget of £700.

Amazon's UK site lists the i5-4690K, which is a 3.5 GHz cpu, for slightly less than £20 more than the i5-4570.  Do yourself a favor and find the few extra dollars.

As for video card choice; I recently upgraded to the 960 from the 750 TI, via a used card on eBay and have seen no noticable differences.  Maybe in P3D (?), but certainly not in FSX. 

Of course, the differences could be subtle, but I'm thinking that I would have seen more impact on FSX had I spent the $150 on an SSD. :-)

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem