Hello!

I use and love ASN now for a long time, but I never realized that the tropopause I get from weather charts (I use simbrief.com, it has a great visualization on the maps) maybe is not simulated at all.

If so, it would not be an big deal for me but just out of curiosity... Is ASN simulating the tropopause in a way so that I can "see" oh, now I am in the tropopause? :-)

Thank you!

Klaus Schmitzer

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

If it's tropopause height you're referring to, it might get indirectly modeled through the injected data, namely the OAT.

IRL tropopause height can get as low as 19,000' over cold dense areas.

I've been told that one of these days, we may get geopotential height modeled in ASN. It'll be a first timer in MSFS.

As far as I know only Aerowinx PSX weather model does it presently, and it's effects are evident when approaching airports under ILS with cold winter weather...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I just press P.

That pauses everything, even the tropo.

* scuttles away *

- Jens Peter "Penz" Pedersen

Hello Klaus,

what dou you expect to "see"? Would you expect some visuaI indication? I don't know but don't think there is a visual indication in RW when you pass the Tropopause (with Tropopause being the boundary layer between Troposphere and Stratosphere. Tropopause height varies between approx. 6km and 18km )

What in RW should be recognized though: In a climb above Tropopause, with increase in height, Static Air Temperature (SAT) won't further decrease but is supposed to remain almost constant. With even further climbs one would expect SAT to raise again. 

Not sure how ASN deals with Tropopause (i.e from where it derives the height of the Tropopause), but the effect of constant SAT above a certain height can be seen in the aloft data provided within ASN, and is expected to be fed into FSX/P3D.

Joerg

Joerg Alvermann
Win10 Pro 64Bit - i9-9900KS - GTX980Ti 6GB - 5760x1200

ASN deals with tropopause as much as it injects more or less stagnant SAT values after you cross it, and until a given altitude.

In fact ELITE Jet did also allow for tropopause height input, but it was fixed for the meteo settings.

One thing that none of the sims I know, with the exception of ELITE, models is the variation of airmass density with moist. Moist air being less dense then dry air, for constant T and Pressure is something that I found modeled only in ELITE. It's important mostly for GA aircraft and helicopter operations, and not that much for modern airliners...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

I just press P.

That pauses everything, even the tropo.

* scuttles away *

This is my todays AVSIM post of the day :-D

Hello Klaus,

what dou you expect to "see"? Would you expect some visuaI indication? I don't know but don't think there is a visual indication in RW when you pass the Tropopause (with Tropopause being the boundary layer between Troposphere and Stratosphere. Tropopause height varies between approx. 6km and 18km )

What in RW should be recognized though: In a climb above Tropopause, with increase in height, Static Air Temperature (SAT) won't further decrease but is supposed to remain almost constant. With even further climbs one would expect SAT to raise again. 

Not sure how ASN deals with Tropopause (i.e from where it derives the height of the Tropopause), but the effect of constant SAT above a certain height can be seen in the aloft data provided within ASN, and is expected to be fed into FSX/P3D.

Joerg

I know that we couldnt see a visual indication, except on our temp indicators ;-) it was meant for ASNs way to replicate it.

Thank you all for your answers, now I am happy to know that the TP is indirectly simulated by ASN.

Happy Landings!

Klaus Schmitzer

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

If it's tropopause height you're referring to, it might get indirectly modeled through the injected data, namely the OAT.

IRL tropopause height can get as low as 19,000' over cold dense areas.

I've been told that one of these days, we may get geopotential height modeled in ASN. It'll be a first timer in MSFS.

As far as I know only Aerowinx PSX weather model does it presently, and it's effects are evident when approaching airports under ILS with cold winter weather...

IF10 models troposphere, geopotential, adiabatic etc. However, IF10 doesn't import real world metars, but runs from a procedurally generated simulation. The problems for weather engines running with FSX/P3D come from poor granularity available for setup within the sim. It's not particularly accurate.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

What's IF10 ?

Main Simulation Rig:

...Apologies, sorry to butt-in on the AS forum, I just realised for some reason, earlier I thought this was in the FSX forum.

What's IF10 ?

Ideal Flight.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Thx Steve.

Main Simulation Rig:

Сan we finally see this value today?

This data is required for input into the  tropo MCDU airbus...