Sign in to follow this  
Driver170

Very good article. another reason to keep well away from windows 10

Sorry then, use Win 10 and lose all your privacy like the rest of us.

I thought we had lost it when we signed up (well, some of us) with GMail, Google, Facebook, our location tracking GPS's, in fact, anything that needed a user name, email,location etc, long before Windows 10!

In fact, also any document we fill in, asking for contact details with an email address is/could be monitored, if you are paranoid.

Windows 10 is now on over 75 million devices. I have 5 devices that could be, dare  say it, spied upon. It's actually quite nice, for me, that my reading habits are being monitored & suitable books suggested to me. Thanks, Amazon, & others.  

It was suggested elsewhere that we should have a forum for us 'senior' guys (in age & experience, (not necessarily simming, & including those that remember what a punch card machine is, ) called 'The Old Farts Flying Club' where we could be slightly off beat & irreverent. 

Maybe we should have a 'Moth' forum as well for Members of Tin (foil) Hats?

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

I thought we had lost it when we signed up (well, some of us) with GMail, Google, Facebook, our location tracking GPS's, in fact, anything that needed a user name, email,location etc, long before Windows 10!

In fact, also any document we fill in, asking for contact details with an email address is/could be monitored, if you are paranoid.

Windows 10 is now on over 75 million devices. I have 5 devices that could be, dare  say it, spied upon. It's actually quite nice, for me, that my reading habits are being monitored & suitable books suggested to me. Thanks, Amazon, & others.  

It was suggested elsewhere that we should have a forum for us 'senior' guys (in age & experience, (not necessarily simming, & including those that remember what a punch card machine is, ) called 'The Old Farts Flying Club' where we could be slightly off beat & irreverent. 

Maybe we should have a 'Moth' forum as well for Members of Tin (foil) Hats?

#MothLivesMatter

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Regardless, who cares... All those "tile apps" are rubbish anyway... First thing I do on a clean install of W8 or W10 is change the default picture/video openers from "apps" to normal programs.

Hi Linux

I'm trialing win10 on my laptop at the moment could you tell me how you change the default picture/video openers from the apps to programs

I have no time for these apps so don't really want to see them 

Thanks

Pete Little

Hi Linux

I'm trialing win10 on my laptop at the moment could you tell me how you change the default picture/video openers from the apps to programs

I have no time for these apps so don't really want to see them

Thanks

Go to Settings, System, Default Apps.

Change Photos "app" under Photo Viewer to any program, then change "Movies and TV" Video Player and "Groove Music" Music Player to Windows Media Player, or any program you want.

Edited by linux731

Although the "privacy" issues are annoying, I think my main concern is when and how they are getting and sending this data. Lots of time and effort went into my flight system to cut out as many extraneous processes as possible. If I'm am making an IFR approach and coming down the pipe and the system hangs a bit while some of this bg processing is happening - that makes me want to think about this transition. There may be ways to move this processing to off peak times, I really haven't checked, but if not, that's one of my major concerns.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Although the "privacy" issues are annoying, I think my main concern is when and how they are getting and sending this data. Lots of time and effort went into my flight system to cut out as many extraneous processes as possible. If I'm am making an IFR approach and coming down the pipe and the system hangs a bit while some of this bg processing is happening - that makes me want to think about this transition. There may be ways to move this processing to off peak times, I really haven't checked, but if not, that's one of my major concerns.

Vic

Do you use a Microsoft Account on your computer? Are all the privacy settings off? Is Windows Defender off? Do you have "send data" set to "Basic"?

If so, nothing is really sent to MS because they don't care about you if you don't use their cloud services.

I've been in bed with MS since the very early OS Wars days.  And no I did not back OS2.  As long as MS gives us good stuff then I don't care if Darth Vader is running the company.

Cheers

jja 

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Not sure about you, but when I was in school, required reading included books like 1984, Animal farm etc.

It was made clear then that these were cautionary tales of situations free societies should take to heart, but years later so many respond with apathy. (Or maybe levity at the expense of concerned citizens, which is great for a quick smirk but maybe doesn't speak so well of us as stewards of democracy)

Fortunately, while some of the comments here may be great fun, organizations around the world, like the Electronic Frontier Foundation, the ACLU, The Electronic Privacy Information Center, The Center for digital democracy, Computer Professionals For Social Responsibility, The Consumer Project on Technology, The Global Internet Liberty Campaign, Privacy International, The US Privacy Council, The US Public Interest Research Group and many many others around the world, work as active public watchdogs about privacy issues (and more) in the digital world.

Honestly, I would rather stand (tinfoil hat worn proudly) with aware, awake and concerned/involved citizens worldwide, than those who (in a quick drive-by) usually submit nothing more trenchant to the issue than the occasional pithy comment (with optional jaded yawn)

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

There is no need for those groups to be concerned about my Google searches.

There is no need for those groups to be concerned that I went to the Weather Channel.

There is no need for those groups to be worried that I text my wife about dinner plans.

There is no need for those groups to be up in arms that I use Word, Excel, and Outlook.

There is no need for those groups to be concerned that I used my cell phone to call the doctor once.

If you believe everything you read on the internet, then you are no better than some of those animals on the Farm.

There is no need for those groups to be concerned about my Google searches. There is no need for those groups to be concerned that I went to the Weather Channel. There is no need for those groups to be worried that I text my wife about dinner plans. There is no need for those groups to be up in arms that I use Word, Excel, and Outlook. There is no need for those groups to be. Concerned that I used my cell phone to call the doctor once.

I'm sure they couldn't care less about your personal choices. You can use Windows 10 in any configuration you choose and that's your right. But just as (judging by your above statement) you wish your choices to be respected, others choices should be respected as well. Including to choice to express concern and to act.

If you believe everything you read on the internet, then you are no better than some of those animals on the Farm.

It's a nonsense statement. For one, it creates the false impression I might believe everything I read on the internet, which nothing I have said supports. However, there are indeed some things I do believe based on the preponderance of evidence and my own judgement of its veracity. It's not an all or nothing choice.

Speaking of evidence: while you are here, would you like to point out any specific incorrect information in the article that you object to?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Remember that anecdote about the frog + boiling water? Gradually change the surroundings, people get bored with it and become complacent, then the heat gets turned up. Think of all the things that no longer bother you.

Yes I'm using win 10, but I've turned off everything I can find, but I'm quite sure there are things one cannot find.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's