Sign in to follow this  
Driver170

Very good article. another reason to keep well away from windows 10

Yes I'm using win 10, but I've turned off everything I can find, but I'm quite sure there are things one cannot find.

What about all the top secret stuff you can't find that nobody knows about yet?

What about all the top secret stuff you can't find that nobody knows about yet?

Under scrutiny, the list of things some people might (or might not!) want to disable, continues to grow. And apps (all free so far) that help you do it quickly are proliferating

Even then, MS has moved some choices off of your computer, and you have to go to a website to opt out. Be aware there are reports that people are being periodically opted right back in, so people interested in this information might want to check occasionally that your choice has "Stuck" Go here to opt out. https://choice.microsoft.com/en-gb/opt-out

Moving on, a list from one free tool, called DoNotSpy10 currently provides choices such as:

• Disable telemetry
  • Disable Biometrics
  • Disable handwriting data disclosure
  • Disable handwriting Error Reporting
  • Disable Application Telemetry
  • Disable Inventory Collector
  • Disable Steps Recorder
  • Disable lock screen camera settings
  • Deactivate and reset Cortana
  • Disable localization
  • Disable sensors
  • Disable Web search
  • Disable Windows Media DRM Internet access
  • Activate postponing upgrades
  • Disable app notifications
  • Disable Password button ads
  • Stopping and resetting the advertising ID
  • Disable SmartScreen filter for URLs
  • Disable sending write information
  • Disable access to language list
  • Disable app access to localization
  • Disable app access to camera
  • Disable app access to microphone
  • Disable acquaintance
  • Disable app access to user accounts info
  • Disable app access to calendar
  • Disable app access to messages
  • Disable app access to wireless connections
  • Disable app access to Uncoupled devices
  • Disable prompts Feedback
  • Disabling Windows Update distribution
  • Disable Windows Update for other products
  • Disable WiFi Sense
  • Disable Windows Defender
  • Disable automatic Windows Updates
  • Deactivate OneDrive
  • Disable Automatic Driver Updates

It will probably occur in the end, that I do update to windows 10: but only after I feel it's been defanged enough that a wary detente is possible.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Na, that's just all the public stuff! What about all the really top secret things?

I know I'll sleep better tonight knowing that MS doesn't have access to sensors, microphones, or cameras, none of which I have installed.

And those personalized adds that I never saw anyways sure did bug the crap out of me!!

I know I'll sleep better tonight knowing that MS doesn't have access to sensors, microphones, or cameras, none of which I have installed.

Well. if you don't need any of this, then you're free not to use it. (and other people can)

That's one of the many good things about free choice.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Good point!!

Yes it is. And some people's free choice is to only use W10 after they are sure it's been defanged enough that they find it tolerable (or not at all, or even as-is)

All free choices.

Devons rig

It looks like some of this data-mining and phoning-home stuff has been backported into Win7 and Win8. So far those updates have seemed to be more or less appropriately labelled and described, so they can be avoided and/or uninstalled. I am wondering whether it is considered by Microsoft to push some of those updates silently and/or as Trojans (combined with "normal" updates)?

On a lighter note:

In the end it could even turn out that Jim wasn't being facetious, but serious!   :P

Yep, Trojans for sure. Microsoft wants to take over your entire life starting with your operating system. Next they are going to move into your kitchen through your refrigerator, then into your family room through your table lamp, and then into your bedroom through your pillow. Coming in Windows 11 will be total control of your bathroom through your tub. Then Windows 12 will update your brain without you even knowing it.

You better just stick with Win 3.1 to be totally safe, or just surround your house with aluminum foil in order to keep all the bad stuff out!

Yep, I'm so, so serious.

In the end it could even turn out that Jim wasn't being facetious, but serious!  

Heh.

It looks like some of this data-mining and phoning-home stuff has been backported into Win7 and Win8. So far those updates have seemed to be more or less appropriately labelled and described, so they can be avoided and/or uninstalled.

Yeah, MS has been getting a pretty big black eye recently over labeling updates.

Devons rig

Heh.

Yeah, MS has been getting a pretty big black eye recently over labeling updates.

They screwed up so bad with 8 that they skipped 9 and call it 10.

Then to really show they are trying to improve there image they send out all these updates that slow down your computer and render it useless.

Way to go microsoft, what idiot is running this company. ( Fix a screw up by making a bigger screw up).

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

They screwed up so bad with 8 that they skipped 9 and call it 10.

Really? You truly don't understand why they couldn't call it 9, do you?

Then to really show they are trying to improve there image they send out all these updates that slow down your computer and render it useless.

Any facts to back this up?

Way to go microsoft, what idiot is running this company.

Feel free to use any other OS out there.

Actually Win10 has rather been labelled Win8.2.

The pre-installation downloads of Win10 stuff by GetWinX add up to several GBs and a realtime scan on these downloads (Avast! antimalware, for example) requires some 25% of a CPU's performance limit.

turboken, on 24 Sept 2015 - 4:00 PM, said:

Any facts to back this up?

Not sure about Turbokens statement, but it is true that Windows 10 can use your internet bandwidth, and that a lot of casual users (probably millions and millions of people) will have no idea it's happening. The culprit is the Windows Update Delivery Optimization (WUDO) which essentially makes people's computer a type of torrent node for windows updates.

I don't know about some people, but other types of programs that pull this sort of thing are labeled as PuPs, trojans and whatever, if for nothing else than their potential to gulp cpu time, and I would stomp on them from a great height. Just because it's from Microsoft doesn't make me even the slightest bit friendlier towards this program.

To turn this feature OFF, follow these steps:
  • Go to Settings in the Start menu
  • Search for Update & Security
  • Under Windows Update, open Advanced Options
  • Under Choose How Updates are Installed, select Choose how updates are delivered
  • Disable the toggle under Updated from More than One Place
The feature is intended to speed up software updates, but enabling it by default is probably not a great idea.

In a statement, Microsoft said that the feature "helps people get updates and apps more quickly if they have a limited or unreliable internet connection" and that it "doesn't slow down your internet connection" because it uses a "limited portion" of idle upload bandwidth.

Don't care. I would make it go bye bye. 

Devons rig

Can you imagine the outrage when an update fails with Windows 11, & you sitting on the can, & you get non-stop icy water up your ........

Jim, you started me thinking about W11.. :hi:

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Windows 10 forced updates have already caused endless crash loops on some peoples computers. http://www.techtimes.com/articles/75183/20150811/new-windows-10-problem-forced-automatic-update-causing-endless-crash-loops-here-s-how-to-fix-the-issue.htm

More than once.

Devons rig