Sign in to follow this  
Driver170

Very good article. another reason to keep well away from windows 10

Really, from August 11th, which was the second update of Win 10. Maybe you could also find where SP1 from XP caused endless crash loops too.

Really, from August 11th, which was the second update of Win 10. Maybe you could also find where SP1 from XP caused endless crash loops too.

All very true. But those previous incidents did not have to contend with Microsoft's new policy of

1) Forcing those updates so that they kept trying to install themselves no matter what you do.

2) Not describing exactly what the updates were supposed to be doing, exactly, which makes troubleshooting even harder. Note that MS has backed away from this policy for enterprise customers (and they will probably be forced to drop the policy entirely, eventually)

Such policies tend to make international customers, already wary of W10's potential as spyware, to feel even more distrustful. (I bet the EU steps into the fray, eventually)

I predicted in a previous thread, that this sort of thing simply spurs people with the skill and talent to come up with ways to return transparency and control to the process to quickly do so.

Hence the proliferation of Tools like donotspy10 and others. Due to poor human engineering, MS has stepped firmly into the land of unintended consequences.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Windows 10 forced updates have already caused endless crash loops on some peoples computers. http://www.techtimes.com/articles/75183/20150811/new-windows-10-problem-forced-automatic-update-causing-endless-crash-loops-here-s-how-to-fix-the-issue.htm

More than once.

Funny because I have W10 on 8 computers (including a tablet) and I've never had problems with updates.

Yes, it's annoying that they're automatic. But there's also a good side. Your non-tech knowledgable relatives will always be up to date and Defender will always be turned on. No more "Windows is so insecure!!!1!1!1!" type of comments.

Funny because I have W10 on 8 computers (including a tablet) and I've never had problems with updates.

Probably not all that comforting to those who do have the issue, though.

Yes, it's annoying that they're automatic. But there's also a good side. Your non-tech knowledgeable relatives will always be up to date and Defender will always be turned on. No more "Windows is so insecure!!!1!1!1!" type of comments.

Those "Windows is so insecure comments" are never going away, especially if (as is probably inevitable) one of these numerous lines of communication home to MS is ever hacked.

Somebody uses windows defender? 

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Somebody uses windows defender?

It's by default turned on and you can't turn it off unless you install another AV. I don't think this is a HORRIBLE idea, I like choice. But then I think of users who aren't as knowledgeable with computers and it becomes a great idea.

Its...... ok...... unless it lulls some users into thinking they have substantial protection.

Devons rig

Its...... ok...... unless it lulls some users into thinking they have substantial protection.

Windows Defender = Microsoft Security Essentials = Microsoft Endpoint Protection.

Many businesses, schools, government, etc use Endpoint Protection and I've never heard of people having problems with Defender/Security Essentials' capabilities.

The best AV is common sense.

Pretty much every independant test I've ever heard of ranks Windows defender either lowest or fairly low overall. And that's been for years. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1926596,00.asp

Tom's hardware notes:

Microsoft Defender generally performs the worst — by far — of any free or paid antivirus program in recurring evaluations conducted by independent German lab AV-TEST. In an April 2014 round of tests, Windows Defender's ability to detect cutting-edge malware threats was considerably subpar; it detected only 68 percent of zero-day Web and email threats against an industry average of 94 percent.

Windows Defender also performed below average in detecting widespread, commonly known malware; it detected 79 percent of those bugs, compared with the industry average of 98 percent. In comparison, Avira Internet Security (a paid version of Avira's antivirus product) scored a perfect 100 in detecting both zero-day and widespread malware, and Avira told us that Avira Free Antivirus offers the same protection.

386695-microsoft-windows-defender-lab-re

Devons rig

Pretty much every independant test I've ever heard of ranks Windows defender either lowest or fairly low overall. And that's been for years

I don't think you get it.

I never said Defender/Security Essentials/Endpoint Protection is amazing. I just said that the fact that it's always enabled in Windows 10 might not be such a bad idea, considering that SOME protection is better than NO protection.

I don't think you get it.

I never said Defender/Security Essentials/Endpoint Protection is amazing. I just said that the fact that it's always enabled in Windows 10 might not be such a bad idea, considering that SOME protection is better than NO protection.

And you said that in response to my writing that Windows defender could lull people into thinking they had substantial protection. :unsure: 

Despite being used by schools, business and government, I believe it does not, and in many eyes, almost any free alternative (at all) would be better.

Yes its cool it comes with the windows. Not so cool if people run off into the wild wild web thinking that antivirus is antivirus, and that MS is protecting them any more than marginally.

Devons rig

Thanks for sharing that link, but unfortunately I don't believe one word of it.

CISA is what they want and your privacy means nothing to these corporations.   

The following companies just betrayed billions of people.

Vote on CISA cyberthreat info-sharing bill delayed

If you use the internet, you have no privacy.  Windows updates are just a false security blanket along with all the firewalls they sell.

Everything is backdoored these days, if it’s not Intel chips, it could be the firmware on your hard drive.

RJ

3Green, The issues exposed in your post are a main reason why many people who pay attention have so much distrust. As with Microsoft and Windows 10 privacy, the pattern is to push these types of things out very quietly and then gauge the strength of any resistance.

If/When exposed, the response is pretty much always the same: wide eyed innocent surprise to the objections, and lots of hasty backtracking while public relations people spin, spin, spin the issue.

It happens again and again, and to people paying attention who see it repeatedly, that pattern is really old.

Right now, Microsoft is reacting to the growing public perception that however nice it is, Windows 10 is spyware. This could severely affect corporate and government acceptance of the software worldwide, and they're right to be worried. They probably don't care nearly as much about individuals right now, but that could also be a factor after the free year is over and people are faced with the choice of paying for software that might have gained an iffy reputation by then.

As for CISA: similar to other bills/agreements Like SOPA and PIPA and so many others, these things are done metaphorically in the dead of night, and tend to send companies and elected officials scurrying for cover when the light of public attention/opinion shines on them. Same crap, different day.

Devons rig

Here is a link to make people think (about Windows 10 privacy- Damage Control Statements -- lies!!!)...... I'm also not posting it to start a flame war; so please if you disagree, I respect that just don't read it.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2987022/microsoft-windows/windows-10-and-privacy-whom-should-you-trust.html

Thanks!!!  Let's all have a great day...