Sign in to follow this  
Driver170

Very good article. another reason to keep well away from windows 10

A lot of people who complained about Windows 8's "metro apps" and "metro design" are now extremely happy with Windows 10, which is really ironic considering Windows 10 has MORE "metro" and MORE "modern apps" than Windows 8 did. Hell, even the VOLUME slider in the taskbar is a "modern app". Also, the new "Settings app" which, for whatever reason, will replace the Control Panel is also new. Even the Calculator is now a "modern app" (and it is horrible by the way).

Windows 8 introduced a learning curve that required millions of determinedly non-technical users to forget everything they ever learned about Windows and learn an entirely new way of doing things for no real reason except to advance Microsoft's corporate strategy at the time. The public's response was massive disinterest, and I believe rightfully so.

I knew it was really doomed when people purchasing new computers and laptops started coming to me en masse and demanding "Get this crap off of my machine"

What did it bring that was new and exciting for the customer? What was the killer app? It provided no incentive at all to switch, and lots of incentive (unfamiliarity and learning curve) to stand pat.

Windows 10 has gotten an enormous boost by being free, and I believe a lot of users probably clicked on the button that showed up on their machines with only a vague idea of what they were stepping into except that something that was usually expensive was free, and that it was a limited time offer that they better grab right away.

I think windows 10 as an os is fine, but my observation is that people seem to be sticking with the start menu and essentially largely ignoring Metro. They're using it like Windows 7 with some "stuff" stuck on the side, and as long as that's possible, what's not to be happy about? (except for privacy issues, which bother me and many other people quite a lot)

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Bleah. Finally tracked down the cause of the nvidia control panel crashing. Cool, because I was three seconds from deleting the drive and reinstalling the drive with my intact windows 7

The experiment continues.

More on windows 10 Monitoring: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3gm1e3/what_windows_10_is_actually_monitoring_regardless/

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5