Sign in to follow this  
Art_P

SSD Requirement for FSX and Windows 10

I'm considering upgrading from my Lynnfield system by getting a Skylake i5-6600K processor, Z170 chipset motherboard, DDR4 memory and Windows 10.  If I also replace my HDD with an SSD what would be the minimum size drive for FSX and Windows 10?  I was considering a smaller SSD for FSX only, but in reading forum threads, it sounds like it is best to install the operating system and FSX on one SSD drive. 

Art

it sounds like it is best to install the operating system and FSX on one SSD drive.

Not sure where you got this idea. People used to say that one should have separate HDDs to reduce contention on these slow devices; with SSDs access is so fast that it doesn't really matter.

I run with a 128GB and a 512GB 840Evo in my machine; depending on what else you install you could just go with a single 512GB SSD. Check the benchmarks; IIRC the larger variant drives are faster for data transfer because they have more flash in parallel - but for FSX it's unlikely to make any noticeable difference.

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

SSDs do make a huge difference, but if you want to avoid any possible security/permissions issue, not to mention if your C drive fails, install FSX/FSX:SE/P3D/X-Plane/Outerra on a separate drive, preferably its own drive.  That is my standard, based on the information I have found most useful here at AVSIM. 

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Thanks Luke and Jim.  I did some reading on other sources for gaming and found a lot of recommendations for Windows on the SSD and games on a HDD.  Perhaps this applies to when SSDs were more expensive.  I'm trying to keep the upgrade expense down and am not having much success on that since I've now decided to also update my graphics card from GTX 560 w/1GB to GTX 960 w/2 GB (up 4 tier levels on the Toms Hardware hierarchy chart).  One SSD should give me a lower cost per GB and more flexibility on use of the space.  For the time being, this setup will be only for FSX, and I will retain my present Windows 7 setup for other programs, including the FSX SDK.

Checking file sizes on my present computer, Windows 7 and FSX use 76 GB, so I guess a 240 GB SSD would suffice since it will give me 180 GB of space for efficient use.  I'll put any other programs, documents, etc on a HDD.

Art

But if your C drive fails you'll lose all the linking files - not sure if you'd need a reinstall. But think how many addon configuration files are on your OS drive.

You can install fsx on ssd with the OS - I just disable UAC.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

But if your C drive fails you'll lose all the linking files - not sure if you'd need a reinstall. But think how many addon configuration files are on your OS drive.

You can install fsx on ssd with the OS - I just disable UAC.

I keep backup images current, and I also disable UAC.

Art