Sign in to follow this  
BamaKevin

Oom with 1gb remaining.

I have Windows 7 64 bit and HIGHMEMFIX=1 in the cfg. I installed Anchorage X last night and as soon as I reach 3gb usage I get the warning. I thought I should not get this unless I got near the 4gb usage.

Kevin Humphryes

Virtual size of the memory allocated is what matters here, not the physical memory usage reported in Task Manager.

You should be using FSUIPC and it's VAS monitoring function.   It gives the most up to date and accurate memory remaining for your simulation than anything out there and has the added bonus of Auto-saving your flight when it detects you are about to nose dive to desktop thanks to the wonderful world of 32-bit!

As to your specific scenario problem, it is quite possible to have a gig of memory left and suddenly fly into an intensive scenery environment with payware airports, high-res textures and tons of autogen and immediately go POOF!.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Ok I was thinking I had some headroom until last night . I haven't had this problem that much

Kevin Humphryes

You get the errors when windows attempts to allocate more VAS than is available. Theoretically, if you had 2.5G remaining and Windows tried to allocate 2.51G - you would get the error.

It's not really about how much you've used or how much remains but how much Windows needs at the specific time. That's a simplification but should help.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Folks,

Just curious, how much would moving to DX10 with the DX10 fixer help in a situation like this?

Cheers!

Folks,

Just curious, how much would moving to DX10 with the DX10 fixer help in a situation like this?

Cheers!

Little to none.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Friends,

It's not just about how much VAS one has remaining, it's about Contiguous available space.

If one has say 1gb remaining, but the largest contiguous (block) is only 500mb, then you'll suffer an OOM if something greater than 500MB attempts to load.

The only way for sure to fully defrag VAS is to save and reload the flight.

There is a little trick for those running in the Windowed mode of resizing the window and returning the window back to the original size (simply click, hold and drag the window - one only needs to change it a little bit) which will free up a little of your VAS>

Hope this helps.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Hold on, if your using Process Explorer, are you looking at the correct section? I mean, did you look at Virtual Memory or Private Bytes?

Júnior Silva

For clarification... the correct Process Explorer column to show "used VAS" is titled Virtual Size, not Virtual Memory.  After you install Process Explorer, you need to go into the settings and expose that column since it is not one of the default set.

Or, you can use FSUIPC to display "remaining VAS" by following the directions in this Avsim post.

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64