Sign in to follow this  
rickalty

Is this pilot an ACE or an ? (30 sec video.)

Guest glnflwrs

Yeah, I think so, too. Gotta be a pretty good pilot to invert and then adjust your attitude and position as quickly and accurately as he did.Glenn

Guest Paul Heaney

He's a damn good Pilot, not sure why you'd ask the Latter part of the question? ACE hands down.

Guest glnflwrs

I asked the question to see how many people could tell the difference between a nut and a pro. You mean to say I should never ask questions I know the answer to just to test others?You'd be surprised at how many non-pilots think that that pilot is plain crazy. Glenn Flowers

Guest jdu

That is one confindent pilot! I wonder what crazy trick he's going to try next!

Guest oyvindhansen

>I asked the question to see how many people could tell the>difference between a nut and a pro.Of course it is also possible to be both at the same time, like this guy:http://airside.paradise.net.nz/video/B52%20bomber%202.wmvAerobatics with a B-52 is probably not good idea, but this guy had been doing it for years. Great flying skills, poor airmanship.- Oyvind

Personally I think he's both. Brilliant flying, but no-one is perfect - and to do a stunt like that under a bridge packed with spectators, between two riverbanks also packed with spectators, is just asking for an evening news story that starts "Dozens of airshow spectators were killed today...."My dad used to do aerobatic displays in a glider at Royal Navy Air Days when I was a kid - and even in a glider with no fuel on board no display was ever allowed to come that close to the crowd.Richard

Guest georg

That guy is called Jurgis Kayrys. I have several videos of his tricks in my tapes and I've talked to him personally :)

He is an Ace but a reckless one, Doing such a stunt so close to so many people! I wonder where such a thing is allowed (do you have any infos where this show was?).Back in the sixties, when I was a kid, my parents took me to an airshow at LOWI (Innsbruck/Austria). At that time organizers of airshows were not very conscious of the dangers of such shows, so they allowed the crowd to come very close.One part of that show was some formation and stunt flying of 3 gliders. As I said, the spectators were very close to the grassy landingstrip. And suddenly, when the gliders landed, a little girl, about 3 or 4 years old run onto the landing strip and was hit on her forehead by the wingtip of one of the gliders. The girl died instantly! Me and my parents were just 50 meters away were all this happened.As it came out later, the girl was the daughter of the glider-pilot, who hit her! She only wanted to run to her daddy! A real tragedy!Wolfgang

Guest georg

Wow yeah thats a sad story :(. But I think it was probably in Lithuania where that pilot lives. At least you probably dont run into the river to get a hit from the plane! :DHe really is an ace. If you could have only seen the aerobatics he has done here in Estonia in the shows. He is like flying with wings angle 90 degrees, wing distance from ground 1 meter and then looks at the people and makes big smiles :D He also plays helicopter with that powerful engine his plane has and such kinds of things.You can find some cool pictures from an airshow here in Estonia:http://www.hot.ee/varavalgel/tap2004/11.htmlClick on the picture and it will change to next one.

Guest glnflwrs

Georg,Thanks a lot for that info. I've since read quite a bit about Mr. Kairys. 1. He has won the Aerobatic Grand Prix (Europe) more than once.(or twice) 2. He is a default invitee to any European air show OR race event. 3. The bridge in the video I posted is only one of ten he flew under in a publicized series along the Volga River. (I believe it was the Volga...)4. He says, "Six inches from ground to tail, inverted, is as low as I will go." Hehehe...5. The video I posted was shot in Lithuania. The rules for crowd clearance are not the same there as here, and that explains that, I guess.He is a brilliant, eccentric, and very likable pilot. He loves people and likes to share his experiences with those who show genuine interest, especially pilots.Glenn Flowers

Guest glnflwrs

It was in Lithuania. Vilnius, Lithuania, to be more precise. Does the Volga flow through Vilnius??? Dumbee me..Oh, he won the World GP Aerobatic Championship in 2000. He is an Aeronautical Engineer and Sukhoi's Chief test pilot.Glenn Flowers

"Does the Volga flow through Vilnius??? "No, that would be the Neris.Richard