Sign in to follow this  
Chris Catalano

Does anyone know what these white squares are in my scenery?

Hi Everyone:

Does anyone know what these large white squares are in the middle of my scenery?  They appear most often when I am flying over my Mega Scenery areas (see picture)

Thank you,

Chris Catalano

FSXWhiteSquares.png

Your graphics engine has trouble processing the whole picture. Set your scenery levels a bit lower.

Menno

Menno 

i7-11700, 16GB, 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, RTX 3070, Windows 11, MSFS 2020 DeLuxe, P3D 4.5

Thanks for the reply. I'm not entirely sure if that's exactly it, because when I run my PC Process Explorer in the background, I noticed yesterday that I never exceeded 3.1 GB of the allocated 4 GB that FSX uses. That should've been plenty of headroom with the graphics and the amount of RAM that I have. I'm not saying it's not possible what you proposed, I'm just not entirely sure if that could be it. On the other hand, you may indeed be right.

Chris Catalano

It's probably about graphics card or FSX tweaks. Tell us about yor system and fsx tweaks you have(or not). That usually hapens if FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION is set to low for example

The best way to find out if it's a tweak or a high fsx setting is to move the fsx.cfg to another folder, run fsx and let the config rebuild.  Go into settings and change the resolution of your monitor in the General settings.  Do not change anything else.  Go fly. 

A lot of HD scenery takes time to render properly.  High settings or a bad tweak parameter will definitely cause this problem.  Of course, high video card driver settings will cause your video card to work harder too.  If the problem goes away after rebuilding your FSX.cfg, check out the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide (see my signatures) and use those settings.  Those are pretty high but they work for many.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks for the reply. I'm not entirely sure if that's exactly it, because when I run my PC Process Explorer in the background, I noticed yesterday that I never exceeded 3.1 GB of the allocated 4 GB that FSX uses. That should've been plenty of headroom with the graphics and the amount of RAM that I have. I'm not saying it's not possible what you proposed, I'm just not entirely sure if that could be it. On the other hand, you may indeed be right.

Chris Catalano

Chris,

I have heard lately that ther eis a misconception about the 4GB VAS limit in that, there isn't truly 4GB available.  It's that whole bits and bytes thing when it comes to memory.  When you use Process Explorer, you have to look at the actual byte total, which will be less than 4GB, so maybe you were getting closer than you thought.  Are you running anything else in the background (ex. other programs, browsers, etc.) outside of the FSX environment.  That can have an affect too.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

CHris I too suffered of the White Squares with another High End Scenery Bornholm Island X. It as Jim says lack of memory on the GC I close as many programs as posible, then I don't get the Wite Square, even though it shows the odd time Again.

Berlopez

Thank you all for the replies. Yes, I am running other programs with FSX in the background. I'm running Radar Contact, Active Sky Next, some air-traffic control chatter, and FS Passengers. Even Though the Process Explorer Seems to Indicate That I Have a little more headroom, Perhaps I don't have as much as I really believe. Most times this seems to a car when I am flying over my Mega Scenery Earth areas. Yet sometimes flying over the same exact areas I don't see the white squares. But I think that the usual memory limitations of FSX must be the culprit here. I also put in a query to the people over at Mega Scenery Earth. Thank you all for the insight. I really appreciate it.

Chris Catalano

Chris:

Once i had bad graphicissues with mt FSX\Acceleration Installation. A member at another forum suggested i download AlacrityPC and install it and configure it, That made Wonders as most of y issues dissapeared; But unwisely me I suffered another problem and uninstalled FSX and had to reinstall. ( I didn't make a copy of Alacrity and lost that very important component). I have failed to reinstall it because of lack of knowledge. Now since my latest installation I don't have some issues.

You may try but I take no responsability.

Berlopez

Hi Folks

Those aren't 'white squares'

they're actually 'blue squares', i.e. water polys.

They're an artifact

displayed when your sliders are set too high for your PC's currently available resources,

and the photoscenery tiles subsequently failed to load.

That photo-scenery has been constructed using an underlying 'mesh-clinging water poly'

which allows their creator to just use a 'blend-mask' to create water surfaces,

e.g. lakes & rivers.

without creating a vector file to map the water areas.

HTH
ATB
Paul

Hi Folks

Those aren't 'white squares'

they're actually 'blue squares', i.e. water polys.

They're an artifact

displayed when your sliders are set too high for your PC's currently available resources,

and the photoscenery tiles subsequently failed to load.

That photo-scenery has been constructed using an underlying 'mesh-clinging water poly'

which allows their creator to just use a 'blend-mask' to create water surfaces,

e.g. lakes & rivers.

without creating a vector file to map the water areas.

HTH

ATB

Paul

That's very interesting! Does that mean that all the white or blue squares only occur when there is some water beneath the square? It seems that often they are even over the land mass areas too where water is not present. Does this mean that if I see the large squares that there is always necessarily some sort of water (ie, lake, river, mud puddle :-) beneath it?

Thank you again!

Chris Catalano

Thanks for the reply. I'm not entirely sure if that's exactly it, because when I run my PC Process Explorer in the background, I noticed yesterday that I never exceeded 3.1 GB of the allocated 4 GB that FSX uses.

phmcrt wrote: "Your graphics engine has trouble processing the whole picture"

I don't understand why you talk about memory in that context. Memory is just one thing that could cause issues and if it would have been a lack of memory, then you would have probably crashed with an OOM (Out Of Memory) error.

A slow video card, a poor driver, wrong setting or poor tweaks are just a few things that could also lead to issues like this (more likely than lack of memory)

Absolutely. Nothing to do with VAS, run process explorer to see how much VAS FSX is using, you don't need to care about other processes. I run a lot of things with FSX, surfing, watching movies on long haul flights etc. You need to worry about VAS only when FSX is approaching 4GB. But that squares are definitely not becouse of VAS

Your graphics engine has trouble processing the whole picture. Set your scenery levels a bit lower.

Menno

Short answer and likely the best answer.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.