Sign in to follow this  
Chris Catalano

Does anyone know what these white squares are in my scenery?

Thank you all for the replies. As I had mentioned, I put in a query to the people over at Mega Scenery since I am only getting the white squares when flying over their products. This is what they said:

Dear Mr Catalano,

The same patch to fix the black squares will also fix blue or white squares as well.

This is caused by an outdated terrain.dll file. This file has been updated by Microsoft with this patch. Simply click on the link below and select RUN and the installer will automatically update your terrain.dll.

>>> CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD AND RUN THE TERRAIN.DLL UPDATE PATCH <<< (8 Mb)

So apparently they seem to be aware of this issue. I look forward to trying this fix later today. I'll report back and let you know if I have any success. Thank you all very much.

Chris Catalano

Hi Folks

Chris -

Does that mean that all the white or blue squares
only occur when there is some water beneath the square?

No.
The 'mesh-clinging water polys' coverage will extend to the entire photoscenery extents.

“This is caused by an outdated terrain.dll file.
This file has been updated by Microsoft with this patch.
Simply click on the link below and select RUN and the installer will automatically update your terrain.dll.

>>> CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD AND RUN THE TERRAIN.DLL UPDATE PATCH <<< (8 Mb)

Everyone -
DO NOT bother attempting to install the above patch,
it will fail, (unless you're still running FSX RTM),
and wouldn't fix your 'blue squares'.

That patch's terrain.dll is v10.0.61023
and is itself an extremely outdated version,

extracted from MS's discontinued SP1.

SP1A's terrain.dll v10.0.61355, superceded MS's withdrawn SP1.

You should be running at least SP2 or Acceleration
whose terrain.dll's are v10.0.61472 and 61637 respectively.

HTH
ATB
Paul

Have  you actually  tried  the suggestions  on post 2  and  5   since  you havn't said  that you have  but  trying  everything  else

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Actually, not yet.  I learned something really interesting today.  It seems I don't consistently get the squares, even when flying the same flight repeatedly.  So if I fly from KBWI to KPVD for example, sometimes I see the squares, other times, when flying the exact same flight, I don't.  So I wondered why.  Well I discovered that if I simply load FSX for the first time of the day (which usually takes almost 8 minutes for the first launch of the day believe it or not), I seem to see the white squares when loading the flight.  Then if I close FSX and reload the exact same flight, the loading takes MUCH shorter to boot (under a minute), and also, for all my subsequent flights, I never see the white squares.  I am not sure if I am clearing out the memory when I reboot, or something like that, but for whatever reason, it always seems to do the trick for me!  Can anyone explain this strange phenomenon?

Thank you all,

Chris Catalano

Don't  know  the  answer  to your  question ,  but  you still will find  you will get  the blue squares,  since  you have  stated  above   you don't  get it  all the time.  You need  to turn  down your  sliders   a little  and  if  you don't  get  the blue  squares   than you know  definitely  what the issue  is. however  if  you still get   the blue  squares    than try post  5  by Jim   think he knows  what he  is  talking about  here

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg