Sign in to follow this  
cmpbellsjc

Jon Venema says P3Dv3 more like a 2.6

Thought it was interesting to see this comment. Hopefully he's just downplaying any improvements.

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/103046-a-huge-concern-i-have-for-p3d-v3/#entry930621

We are testing V3 at present and have yet to make any formal announcement about whether we'll charge for V3 installers. My original comments were made well before V3 went to beta and was mostly based on the new version being a major architectural change. It's not, being more like a v2.6 truth be told.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Never expected to be a major architectural change or performance boost. That falls in a good to be true side of the story, so I'm realistic and expect only fixes and slight improvements.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

this topic should be merged with the 3.0 Speculation thread.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

If they are going to charge $200 for it I certainly hope it is more than 2.6! Time will tell on both the price and the new features. And maybe what he means is that the FILE structure isn't that different, just like a regular upgrade in that regard. We can hope!

- Bill Magann

this topic should be merged with the 3.0 Speculation thread.

Vic

I started a new thread purposely since it was not speculation and nonsense since it came from someone actually testing the product.

I figure anyone who actually has the beta is not speculating and those who don't have the product are speculating, hence the reason for a new thread.

If they are going to charge $200 for it I certainly hope it is more than 2.6! Time will tell on both the price and the new features.

That was my thinking as well.

I started a new thread purposely since it was not speculation and nonsense since it came from someone actually testing the product.

I figure anyone who actually has the beta is not speculating and those who don't have the product are speculating, hence the reason for a new thread.

You believe everything you someone tells you  here?

You believe everything you someone tells you here?

Huh? I don't understand the way you phrased that.

You mean, do I believe everything that someone says here?

It depends on who is saying it. If it's coming from a beta tester or a reputable developer in the community, then yes, I will probably take stock in what they say as true. If it's just coming from some random poster, then no. Usually using common sense in who you can believe based on their credentials works.

Huh? I don't understand the way you phrased that.

You mean, do I believe everything that someone says here?

It depends on who is saying it. If it's coming from a beta tester or a reputable developer in the community, then yes, I will probably take stock in what they say as true. If it's just coming from some random poster, then no. Usually using common sense in who you can believe based on their credentials works.

Just a thought here, (hammering that home), while I am not a Marketing major, I can say that marketing plays a big role in putting out new products for our hobby.  Not sure LM has a marketing team on board for P3D but think for a moment on whether or not they have lobbyists, people who may be beta testers or otherwise employed by LM to "market" their product with just the right amount of teasing to get a feel for who's interested or not.  It can get pretty complicated, but suffice to say, when any announcement is made, it'll get everyone excited enough to start talking around the campfire and it'll continue until the products release.  Then, the conversation changes to what it has, what it doesn't have and subsequently the process starts over with rants and raves over what we can hope for in the next version...the cycle never ends...ok maybe when a sim developer says "this is it, no more updates!"  and then we get posts from people expressing sadness and grief.  It's all rather comical in a way.

My only hope is that when P3D v3 emerges, that for those of us who invested, updated and are happy with the version we have, that we won't be forced to upgrade or be left out in the cold with a piece of software that won't be supported or work anymore.  That would be a lot of 'digital trash' laying about.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I posted this hours ago in the "nonsense". I think its becoming evident as to why it belongs in there. Best to just keep it all in one place. 

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

I posted this hours ago in the "nonsense". I think its becoming evident as to why it belongs in there. Best to just keep it all in one place.

Had no idea you posted it. I quit reading that thread once it became a "nonsense" thread, long and unruly.

Does it really make a difference that I started a new thread and didn't include it in the nonsense thread? I think we'll survive.

By all means, if it's more nonsense, then the mods should move it. Frankly, since John's comment doesn't seem to be of interest, the mods can just delete the whole thread and gain some extra space.

I thought all testers had to sign a nondisclosure agreement. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

He is basically talking about how the new version wont be a major pain to port over scenery and that they wont have to charge for new installers. Music to my ears really.

"My position as CEO is that I'd rather not charge for them if the work to port products is minimal. We're having team discussions about it. We may drop support for P3Dv1 when v3 is released. That said, if an Orbx developer has to spend a lot of time to port a product then we may charge a nominal fee. It's still early days yet."