Sign in to follow this  
cmpbellsjc

Jon Venema says P3Dv3 more like a 2.6

I thought all testers had to sign a nondisclosure agreement. 

Some do, some don't, some are all inclusive, some are exclusive, some testers don't care anyway. NDA's are hardly adhered to except by those who truly fear being given the "boot". At the end of the day, he didnt say anything specific or give up any secrets, just said it is another incremental change. I doubt the CEO of the premiere scenery partner of LM is fearful, this isnt the first time he has spilled beans. 

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

He is basically talking about how the new version wont be a major pain to port over scenery and that they wont have to charge for new installers. Music to my ears really.

That is my hope, although it really isn't clear. In defense of the Topic Starter, if what the CEO of Orbx says about P3D 3 isn't news, I don't know what is.

- Bill Magann

We are testing V3 at present and have yet to make any formal announcement about whether we'll charge for V3 installers. My original comments were made well before V3 went to beta and was mostly based on the new version being a major architectural change.

It's still early days yet

So V3 has been in the beta testing stage for some time, and yet it's "early days yet" to be thinking about v3 installers for ORBx products? Someone is playing mind games...

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

That is my hope, although it really isn't clear. In defense of the Topic Starter, if what the CEO of Orbx says about P3D 3 isn't news, I don't know what is.

Yes, it's new alright. he didn't really say anything OTHER than in his opinion it feels like 2.6.

I find no news there because there is no 2.6 to compare it with. This is the same individual who stated that LM will never make a 64bit version. Few believed him then, why should any more believe him now?

WHEN V3 is final and released is WHEN we get to decide if is 2.6 or 3.0.

Much the same could have been said of FS9 -> FSX.

SO, I repeat - this thread belongs in Speculation and foolishness.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Not to put a fine of point on it,   but if this is true this is the worst news i've ever got. 

Anyways, Rob said there are great things to come,  so that's good enough for me  :smile:

You have one insider saying he wished he could spill the beans because he is excited about the upcoming change and wish he could show scrreen shots and such but then again we have another insider saying it's no big thing. 

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

You have one insider saying he wished he could spill the beans because he is excited about the upcoming change and wish he could show scrreen shots and such but then again we have another insider saying it's no big thing. 

Yes i know,  its all getting very exciting now  :smile:

This is the same individual who stated that LM will never make a 64bit version. Few believed him then, why should any more believe him now?

Why should you believe him? V3 is in beta and guess what, no 64 bit. Have you seen from ANY reliable source in the last year that there is a 64 bit in the pipeline? No. John isn't anyone's advocate. He is honest, direct, and concise. We all have our hopes and dreams, but we all need to come back to reality every now and then and be honest with ourselves about our expectations. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

I now prefer a free version 2.6 to solve the big problems and wait quiet a version 3.0 if you have a strong and profound change

Why should you believe him? V3 is in beta and guess what, no 64 bit. Have you seen from ANY reliable source in the last year that there is a 64 bit in the pipeline? No.

Um - I suggest you read some of the quotes from the LM people. I personally interviewed Wes Bard about it when he was the man in charge. His statement to me was that they would get the max out of the 32bit application before going to 64bit. No one has said anything that changes this. As to WHEN this might occur - THAT is pure speculation. And, no disrespect to John Venema but he's flat out wrong if he states that they will NOT produce a 64bit product.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Didn't we all make fun of JV when he said--months ago--that V3 wouldn't be 64-bit? Turns out he was right and considering that his team has a beta version (Flightbeam also alluded on their facebook page that they're testing v3 as well), I think it's safe to trust what the man is saying.

I didn't expect that. I thought that in 3.0 they would finally ditch really old backwards compatibility and let the engine go forward. If they charge $200 for it, then it better be something more substantial than a 2.6.

Still waiting for the transparent ATC window.

Didn't we all make fun of JV when he said--months ago--that V3 wouldn't be 64-bit? Turns out he was right and considering that his team has a beta version (Flightbeam also alluded on their facebook page that they're testing v3 as well), I think it's safe to trust what the man is saying.

He didn't say V3 wouldn't be 64bit - he said they wouldn't develop a 64 bit app. Big difference. No one from LM EVER said that v3 would be 64 bit.

There will be one - the WHEN is up for grabs.

JV is entitled to his opinion but it is NOT Gospel and should be taken like everyone else's opinion.

JV doesn't determine the direction of LM - it's the other way around. I'm not knocking JV or his company, I've spent quite a few $$$ on many of his products but he doesn't walk on water. He's just a businessman with an opinion. I just take umbrage at some folks who react to his statements as if they are a revelation of the first order.

LM has also talked about v4 and as per their usual stance, they are not stating ANYTHING about it except that there will be one. 32, 64, 128? No one knows but LM and they are mum.

Vic

Um - I suggest you read some of the quotes from the LM people. I personally interviewed Wes Bard about it when he was the man in charge. His statement to me was that they would get the max out of the 32bit application before going to 64bit. No one has said anything that changes this. As to WHEN this might occur - THAT is pure speculation. And, no disrespect to John Venema but he's flat out wrong if he states that they will NOT produce a 64bit product.

Vic

And if the old CEO of Microsoft was still in charge of that company, we wouldnt have a start button in Windows 10. Wes is gone from LM and with him goes any promises he made over a year ago. So if you are hanging your hat on the comments of someone who isnt even with the company anymore as a means of predicting the future, you will, as you are with V3, be greatly disappointed. 

JV doesn't determine the direction of LM - it's the other way around. I'm not knocking JV or his company, I've spent quite a few $$$ on many of his products but he doesn't walk on water. He's just a businessman with an opinion. I just take umbrage at some folks who react to his statements as if they are a revelation of the first order.

And neither does Wes Bard

Josh Daniels-Johannson

JV is entitled to his opinion but it is NOT Gospel and should be taken like everyone else's opinion.

LM has also talked about v4 and as per their usual stance, they are not stating ANYTHING about it except that there will be one. 32, 64, 128? No one knows but LM and they are mum.

Vic

Vic: almost all of your post is strawman. I'd suggest editing that out as you clearly were looking for a sharpening stone to grind your axe and found one in between the words in my prior post.

And don't lecture me on speculation. See the second post in the "nonsense" thread. That was several weeks ago. Since then, however, we know that several key developers have been supplied with beta versions. The CEO of one said development company made some perfunctory--but revealing--comments about v3. I don't take anything as gosepl but in all of the nonsense floating around, these may be the first [mildly] substantive comments we have.