Sign in to follow this  
cmpbellsjc

Jon Venema says P3Dv3 more like a 2.6

If, after all I've been reading about the non-smooth experience P3Dv2 users get when running that sim, although I confess it was super-fluid on my rig, v3 brought "only" the required smoothness and stability, plus probably a new "revolutionary" approach to loading of scenery and other heavy add-ons like AI traffic, ATC robots, etc... wouldn't it still be worth the migration ?

For me it certainly would.

Then, judging from the comments of one of the members / moderator on this forum, it appears v3 has the potential to satisfy it's customers, so, if they'll be able to get free installers for their ORBX, and certainly for the PMDG products in v3, that's GREAT! Right ?

P.S.: I do not intend to spend my money on it though... I'm well served :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

It might well be possible that LM has made significent changes under the motor hood , while the menu still looks the same and backwards compatibility is still there ( on a certain level like now )..,

Perhaps to make VAS use way better they had to re-write a lot of code.

And then it might look like 2.5 but performance and VAS wise it has been improved...

Hopefully there is also a Distortion Fix when using multimonitor...

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

It' s amazing how people completely ignore the context in which JV made his comment. (Context is important in forum discussions) He was contemplating additional charges to customers for new installers, (that's what the discussion was about) and added that the architecture of the file structure was fairly similar to 2.5. (hence the 2.6 reference). In no way whatsoever, did he ever mention anything about VAS, 64 bit or any other change which might, or might not be part of what they are testing. But it certainly was not part of his commentary from which we can generalise that V3 is more like 2.6.

However, I'm sticking to Rob's hypothetical eutopia for better VAS management, which I would hypothetically pay $200 for alone.

LOL

I may well give up flight simulation for good.

It's far more entertaining reading the comings, goings and speculation in threads like this.

So many strong theories and opinions. I love it. Keep going.

You guys are so, so funny, love you all so much.

Thank you, it's brightened my day no end.

:p0816:

Blackrat

Yes, sure is a lot of keyboard talk about something that is a year away.

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

From all the stuff I read in the last couple of month it seems to me that JV has been less than enthusiastic about Prepar3d lately. He seems to be much more exited about FSX Steam. Most likely because Prepar3d with all it's changes means a lot of work for Orbx (without getting paid) and FSX Steam means cash for Orbx by selling DLCs. For this reason alone, I don't give a lot on what JV says about Prepar3d v3. Rob always seems to be very rational about what he says and since he is excited about v3 this is enough for me to be looking forward to Prepar3d v3. No matter when it is released.

Happy flying in the meantime...

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

When I see a title "...Jon Venema says..." it should be obvious to anyone by now that the topic belongs in the speculation and general nonsense thread.

When I see a title "...Jon Venema says..." it should be obvious to anyone by now that the topic belongs in the speculation and general nonsense thread.

Perhaps, we need a standalone thread titled "Speculate on what Jon Venema Meant!"

So far you guys or more correctly, some of you have bashed John, Orbx, Lockheed Martian and MS. Some of you, without one fact to go on have said that LM is just changing to Version 3 to get you money. This company is a $Trillion company. That is $1,000,000,000,000.00 x maybe 6 or 7 per year. Even knowing this some of you self centered Pinheaded know it all's think that LM cares about your $100.00. The guys at AVSIM have been working hard lately to update and improve the performance of this site and good for them but I do believe their next upgrade should focus on a new "ACME Stupid Filter".

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

So far you guys or more correctly, some of you have bashed John, Orbx, Lockheed Martian and MS. Some of you, without one fact to go on have said that LM is just changing to Version 3 to get you money. This company is a $Trillion company. That is $1,000,000,000,000.00 x maybe 6 or 7 per year. Even knowing this some of you self centered Pinheaded know it all's think that LM cares about your $100.00. The guys at AVSIM have been working hard lately to update and improve the performance of this site and good for them but I do believe their next upgrade should focus on a new "ACME Stupid Filter".

+1

Agree with this 100%

As they say in Yorkshire UK   "Know all Know Nowt".

Mick

Ah, nice, a new nonsense topic! The only thing you can do here with JV's remark is SPECULATE because JV isn't here to clarify his words.

Better idea: ask JV on his forum what he meant exactly. Posting a quote totally out of context here is useless. As this topic has proven.

If I may inject a few salient points.

1. I am one of many v3.0 beta testers.
  2. Rob is quite correct to be "excited."
  3. JV views v3.0 through his own particular filters, and is quite likely to not be focused on anything not related to scenery and folder/file management and how it impacts his company's products.
  4. v3.0 is not 64bit

As for DX12, please everyone keep in mind that this would require a complete revamping of the minimum requirements for Prepar3D:

1. OS must be Win10
  2. Video card must support DX12
  3. Video drivers must support DX12

Item #1 is the major sticking point for the next few years at least.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Bill, stop making sense! :)  ... hmmm ... wasn't that a song by the Talking Heads?

The ONLY things I'm certain of for the next iteration of LM's flight simulator is:

1.  Some will not be happy (and blame it on me for poor testing and/or not using my magical powers of persuasion)

2.  Some will be happy

I'm going to bet there will be more #2's than #1's, but the #1's will be the most vocal and highly likely to be very vocal across multiple web sites.

And for those in camp #1, feel free to channel your displeasure toward me ... if it channels negative attention away from the many other Beta testers and 3rd party developers, that's ok with me ... keep it centralized :)

Cheers, Rob.