Sign in to follow this  
mbuehler

FSX with FlyInside (Oculus Rift) compared to real life

I usually fly on X-Plane, but recently somebody came up with support for FSX on the Oculus DK2.  I dug up my old install credentials (Gaming for Windows Live :) ) and happily it still ran.  With the Oculus support installed it becomes a very immersive simulator that I've started using for real flight practice.

For fun, on my last flight in a Cessna 172SP, I wore a GoPro on my head for a POV video, then reflew the whole thing that evening in FSX with the Rift.  Makes for a great comparison between VR flight and how close it is now to reality.  I didn't have much for addons loaded at the time, but you get the idea :

If you have a DK2, definitely give it a look.  When the final versions (CV1, Valve's Vive, etc) of all these HMD come out, simming is going to gain a lot in popularity.  Flying is a VERY fun VR experience, be it FSX, Xplane, War Thunder, etc.  We brought a few setups like this out to an airshow, and had a loooong line for two days in a row with people flying :)

Very cool, are you able to read the instruments without having to zoom in?

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

The problem with the Oculus in FSX is the narrow aspect ratio of the view. The proposed resolution of the commercial version of the Rift is 2160x1200 split over 2 screens, giving a 3d "view" of 1080x1200 - tall rather than the wide view we are used to. In order to give a reasonable outside view, the screen needs to be zoomed out quite a long way giving a fisheye effect which, for me at least, removes a lot of the realism. It will be interesting to see how many FSX/P3D users are prepared to accept these compromises. Because the Rift runs at 2160×1200 at 90Hz, for the full experience they are recommending a minimum of a GTX 970 / AMD 290 equivalent or greater, Intel i5-4590 equivalent or better and 8GB+ RAM.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Very cool, are you able to read the instruments without having to zoom in?

Things with larger print (radio, directional gyro) you can read while normally sitting.  Smaller print things you need to lean in for (or can just infer from needle position like VSI).  Tiny print like EGT won't be possible until the final versions with the higher resolution screens.

You can also click on some things like the GPS, and it will pop out into a larger, moveable window just like the checklist so you can see / use it much easier.

Can u change zoom when using Oculus ?, it looks too far on ur video.

Yes, you can.  The output you see looks too far back because it is your whole field of vision shown in a compressed space.  With the Rift on you are much closer to the dash as part of that image is in your peripheral vision.

The problem with the Oculus in FSX is the narrow aspect ratio of the view. The proposed resolution of the commercial version of the Rift is 2160x1200 split over 2 screens, giving a 3d "view" of 1080x1200 - tall rather than the wide view we are used to. In order to give a reasonable outside view, the screen needs to be zoomed out quite a long way giving a fisheye effect which, for me at least, removes a lot of the realism. It will be interesting to see how many FSX/P3D users are prepared to accept these compromises. Because the Rift runs at 2160×1200 at 90Hz, for the full experience they are recommending a minimum of a GTX 970 / AMD 290 equivalent or greater, Intel i5-4590 equivalent or better and 8GB+ RAM.

Actually, the view you get is just like real life (no fish eye, not zoomed out, scale 100%, wraps around you).  It updates instantly as you move your head, so it need only draw what should be in your current field of view. It only looks correct through the headset, it will look odd on a monitor.  They currently come up short on resolution though, where the pixel size (and the gap between) become noticeable as the lenses take that small screen and make it display your entire world.  Big pixels can't draw very small text, and the gap between them creates the "screen door effect" which while not major like the first version, still gives a slightly griddish look to things in this version.  Final version apparently has a fix for that.

You do need more power to run it, as it is essentially drawing the game twice.  FlyInside has a trick to keep the framerate at 75 even when your PC is only able to manage 40 or so by re-using frames (asynch time warp) which works surprisingly well.

Actually, the view you get is just like real life (no fish eye, not zoomed out, scale 100%, wraps around you).

I haven't actually looked through the heaset (so may be completely wrong) but doesn't the image you see look more portrait the landscape? If, as Oculus themselves say about the upcoming commercial release, it's 2160x1200 split over 2 screens, it must be taller than it is wide - or do the optics somehow stretch the horizontal axis? My comment about the fisheye view is that, in order to see as much as you would with a normal monitor (without moving your head), you would have to zoom FSX out a lot or accept that you have a narrower field of view if you stick with a more "real life" level of zoom.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

For fun, on my last flight in a Cessna 172SP, I wore a GoPro on my head for a POV video, then reflew the whole thing that evening in FSX with the Rift. Makes for a great comparison between VR flight and how close it is now to reality. I didn't have much for addons loaded at the time, but you get the idea :

Impressive, thanks for posting.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

I haven't actually looked through the heaset (so may be completely wrong) but doesn't the image you see look more portrait the landscape? If, as Oculus themselves say about the upcoming commercial release, it's 2160x1200 split over 2 screens, it must be taller than it is wide - or do the optics somehow stretch the horizontal axis? My comment about the fisheye view is that, in order to see as much as you would with a normal monitor (without moving your head), you would have to zoom FSX out a lot or accept that you have a narrower field of view if you stick with a more "real life" level of zoom.

The image you see takes up your whole field of view (maybe a little bit of a black edge in your peripheral vision) so it isn't like looking at a screen, it is like actually being there surrounded by it.  Just like you see the world now, not as a screen or 2D image, but as all you can see, if it makes sense that way?  The lenses do distort the image quite a bit, so the aspect ratio you see on the screen isn't how it looks inside the headset.

Older video, but the screen in the headset shows the images in this format:

...which the lenses then correct and stretch to give the 3D, fully surrounded visual effect.  It is lower resolution overall compared to a monitor, but you trade that for being inside the virtual world (a very convincing effect, looks like you are sitting in the airplane with controls at your hands and feet).

Another old video:

They'll be setting up kiosks where you can try them at (several different brands will be doing this) so if you get a chance, pick one up and try it.  It is much easier to see for yourself then to describe :)

Very impressive video.

The ability to get window popups inside DK2 is a huge step ahead I think.

Am I accurate in saying one needs a lot of space around your person while you run the device?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

They'll be setting up kiosks where you can try them at (several different brands will be doing this) so if you get a chance, pick one up and try it. It is much easier to see for yourself then to describe :

Thanks for the information - it's a little clearer now. Looking forward to seeing the release version when it hits the stores.

I wear glasses--near sighted.  Will I able to lose them or will I need continue to wear them?

10700k / Gigabyte 3060