Sign in to follow this  
blueairone70

direct 9

i have found on the innetnet to fix fsx in windows 10 to install direct 9, but windows 10 will not let you install direct 9, help

hervy l galloway

Because all the dx9 code is included in Win 10. There is no need to install dx9 to get FSX to work with Win 10. Do not believe everything you read on the internet.

Just checking.... If you have a laptop with DX11 sofware BUT the graphics card is DX10, DX11 cannot be emulated? so basically, I'm stuck with P3Dv1.4 on my laptop, as v2+ needs DX11 hardware & software?

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Because all the dx9 code is included in Win 10. There is no need to install dx9 to get FSX to work with Win 10. Do not believe everything you read on the internet.

Is that a change from Direct11 to DierectX 12? DirectX 11 only supports 9.1 and upwards. FSX and P3D need 9.0c.

Just checking.... If you have a laptop with DX11 sofware BUT the graphics card is DX10, DX11 cannot be emulated? so basically, I'm stuck with P3Dv1.4 on my laptop, as v2+ needs DX11 hardware & software?

Correct.

Is that a change from Direct11 to DierectX 12? DirectX 11 only supports 9.1 and upwards. FSX and P3D need 9.0c.

Not sure but FSX runs under dx 9 mode just fine. Had Win 7 before and did the upgrade install to Win 10. If 9c is not supported then my FSX would not run.

Not sure but FSX runs under dx 9 mode just fine. Had Win 7 before and did the upgrade install to Win 10. If 9c is not supported then my FSX would not run.

FSX installs DirectX 9.0c. Look in C:\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Setup\DX for files "dx9" in their names.

I didn't reinstall FSX, there was no need to when I upgraded my Windows. In fact I have not re-installed FSX for years now.

Thanks, Jim. I thought so. Hardware & software must match. There is no emulation, so I'm stuck with v1.4 then.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

I didn't reinstall FSX, there was no need to when I upgraded my Windows. In fact I have not re-installed FSX for years now.

Because DirectX 9.0c was already installed when you originally installed FSX.

Well, then that is how to get 9c on any system that requires it, problem solved.

In post #6 you said that FSX installs 9.0C. So which is it?

Both. FSX installs Directx 9.0.c  But there there are many other applications that also need DirectX 9.0c  for later operating systems that do not include it.

Hi after reading through this thread and doing a bit a research I would say this is the correct answer

9.0c is emulated in DirectX 10/11 and 12 you shouldn't need to download anything . However if a DirectX 9 era game does not run on Windows 10 then it is likely due to some other issue -- software written for Dx9 is typically pre-windows Vista, and it's likely the developers were taking advantage of software exploits that were specific to Windows XP.

But I don't think you will have much of an issue running FSX SP2 since this is a DirectX10 game designed to run on Windows Vista. But if you are running into installation issues on a newer Windows OS then you should consider getting the FSX Steam Edition version.

Hi after reading through this thread and doing a bit a research I would say this is the correct answer

i prefer Microsoft to Wikipedia for my research on DirectX.

Currently DirectX only supports feature levels to 9.1 - not 9.0c.

That is why Prepar3d has two installers. Setup.exe which installs all the requisites including DirectX 9.0c  and Prepar3D.msi which doesn't. Lockheed Martin states

"DirectX includes the software for handling the wide variety of input supported by P3D, and while we don't use Dx9 for any rendering, the library is still used for some input and sound functionality. Did you by chance install using the .msi? If so, you unintentionally skipped installing the per-requisites for the program. It is perfectly valid to install the 9.0c run time on a windows 8 computer, otherwise most PC games wouldn't be able to run on W8."

Remember that once FSX (or anything) installs DirectX 9.0c it cannot be uninstalled. That is why some people who had previously installed FSX didn't have those problems why others did.