Sign in to follow this  
govindsr180

using 2x SGSS with 8xCSAA antialiasing setting

hey guys..

So as the topic says, can i use 2xSGSS along with 8xCSAA antialiasing setting? hy i have this doubt is because, as per the table given in user manual, with 8xCSAA, 4xSGSS is told to be used, but instead if i use 2xSGSS, will that cause any issue?? i want to save some performance is heavy cloud situations.

Also another thing i noticed is, the Sun appears as 2 in some wing view angles! Is this normal??

thanking you

govind

The sun issue looks to me to be lens flare. If you turn it off in display settings it should disappear. 

Jaime Boyle

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

pilotbanner.jpg

thanks steve fro the reply. What about my first query which was the major one as the title says?

also steve i read through that post and there is nothing related to my issue. I am using rex texture for sun and not nick's. So what possibly solves my issue? or is this a permanent bug with DX10?

cheers

I suggested that you try it and my advice hasn't changed!!

It won't do any harm but I think  that it will behave much the same as 4 x SGSS in terms of looks and performance - but there is no harm in trying and I may be proved wrong.  I think that I came to the conclusion that SGSS was basically an on off setting and it just used the number of samples from the main AA setting - but it is a long time ago that I tried it out on a much older driver.

The distortion of the sun textures at extreme zoom is a feature of DX10 - what you are seeing is the corona texture offset from the sun texture which is the same thing that was reported with Nick's sun texture.  It may be possible to reduce the effect by playing with the size of the corona in the sun effect file a little.

thanks steve for the reply. I guess the sun bug comes with dx10. however doesnt exist in all angles. So i guess..for now, i can live with that. Also, all sun textures of REX doesnt give this. only some.

now coming about SGSS, why i asked sucha  doubt is because, there is a table stating compatible SGSS settings corresponding to Antialiasing. So isnt it also required to set according to table or else may cause some issues?

thanking you

govind

Someone copied that table from somewhere and it makes sense if sgss worked in the way the table suggests. However I don't think it does work like that and I don't think it therefore matters what you select - the performance and look will ( if I am right) be the same whether you select 2,4 or 8. But I may be mistaken so my suggestion is to try it.

i feel there is relevance to setting antialiasing as proposed by the table. I set my antialiasing as 8xCSAA and 4xSGSS, and i found that, that gives much smoother edges to aircraft and guages than setting 8xCSAA and 2x SGSS. Hence i feel, the table does matter. Besides that, thanks steve for ur replies.

cheers

govind