Sign in to follow this  
Pete5

COMPLETELY removing the uiautomationcore.dll

I am done. I have tried 3 seprate uiautomationcore.dlls, removing fsx se one. Verifing cashe, uninstalling completely and then reinstalling, uninstalling steam, run as administrator but still! Fatal error while clicking menus. So I think the only option is to completely take out the uiautomation core from system32 and the other place. It seems to be my only option at the moment. Has anyone else done this and had any negative results?

I am pretty sure you are asking for big problems if you mess with anything in system32.  You might be in for a re-installation of windows if things go wrong.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms747327(v=vs.110).aspx

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

I myself have done it with no ill results.   I removed uiautomationcore.dll from system 32 and wow 64.  Created a backup of the folders and store them elswere.  You will however need them if you run Orbx ftx central 2 or Rex4 but I just reinstall them, do what I need them remove them.

Why would anyone remove default Windows files from Windows? They are there for other purposes.

And it's the .dll in your FSX that is crashing, not the default Windows .dll.

I think I should do it. It does not seem to be a vital system componet and a majority of people have done it. Also the description on microsoft page says it is for developers so it seems to not effect the default windows. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms747327%28v=vs.110%29.aspx It also says that it is for Windows Vista, Microsoft Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003. Not windows 10.

Out of curiosity, What os are you running?

I myself have done it with no ill results.   I removed uiautomationcore.dll from system 32 and wow 64.  Created a backup of the folders and store them elswere.  You will however need them if you run Orbx ftx central 2 or Rex4 but I just reinstall them, do what I need them

Every file in Windows is for developers. They sure aren't there for users to mess with.

FYI even my Win 10 has an updated .dll so it was important enough for MS to include it on 7-31-15.

JSkorna is correct.  The uiautomationcore.dll is a component of Microsoft.net.  It is used to make sure an application runs as required by a developer, including memory management.  The one in the main FSX-SE folder was put there by DTG.  In FSX, the dll was used by some to fix menu crashes.  It was called something like "the holy grail of fixing FSX crashes".  Removing the one from the FSX-SE folder should be simple but removing the one in the Windows System folders is dangerous as those are used for all of your applications not just fsx-se.  It's also very difficult to remove a Windows System file.  For Windows 10, I suspect those files will be reinstalled immediately if anyone is successful in deleting them as Microsoft does not like anyone messing with their system files even in previous versions of Windows.  You should search your main Windows folder for uiautomationcore.dll.  It should show you several versions are installed as, according to Google, they are not backward compatible.  This is why you should have at least 2.0 which was installed around the time FSX Acceleration/SP2 were released.  Microsoft.net 1.1 was installed with the installation of FSX.

I have never willingly used the uiautomationcore.dll fix in the main FSX folder and never had a menu CTD.  In fact, I found out an addon developer was placing a copy of the uiautomationcore.dll in my main fsx folder as I was getting unexplained crashes.  I removed the dll from the main fsx folder and the crashes stopped.  Many members do not use the uiautomationcore.dll "fix".  I suspect DTG placed the proper version of the old uiautomationcore.dll in the main FSX-SE installation as they believe it fixes crashes so I would not remove that one too.  My two-cents worth....

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

If something does happen, you could always run the following command from an elevated command prompt.

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:X:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess

Where X:\ is the letter of your DVD drive with your Windows DVD inserted.

It will essentially copy the Windows files off the DVD and restore it to the default status without touching any of your programs.

In fact, I found out an addon developer was placing a copy of the uiautomationcore.dll in my main fsx folder as I was getting unexplained crashes.  I removed the dll from the main fsx folder and the crashes stopped. 

That happens when you use the wrong version. I used the correct one never had a single crash, not just in the menu, but not even the game (as far as I can remember).

Unlike what you claim, uiautomationcore.dll is most definitely required as stated a few years ago on the blog of one of the developers who worked on FSX. It depends on which OS you're using.

That happens when you use the wrong version. I used the correct one never had a single crash, not just in the menu, but not even the game (as far as I can remember).

Unlike what you claim, uiautomationcore.dll is most definitely required as stated a few years ago on the blog of one of the developers who worked on FSX. It depends on which OS you're using.

Hi John,

That's correct - http://www.avsim.com/topic/421820-wrong-version-of-uiautomationcoredll/ .  But my point was that I never ever wanted it in my main FSX directory as I did not believe in this "holy grail" fix and I have tried several times to replicate the crash w/o it in my main fsx folder and I simply cannot cause fsx to crash.  It's frustrating.  I turn all of my settings up and right click on the vc and open and close menu's and no joy.  FSX continues to run.  But, I have had crashes and many of them in the past.  But they were not caused because I did not have the uiautomationcore.dll in my main fsx folder.  I know exactly what caused everyone of my crashes. But, if anybody is not having crashes when they place the correct version of the uiautomationcore.dll in their main fsx directory, that makes me happy.  But that's not the case as you can go into the AVSIM CTD Forum here and when I ask the person having crashes, I ask them to submit an AppCrashView report.  It shows everything that loaded and I see the uiautomationcore.dll was loaded in the main fsx folder.  I ask them to remove it and their crashes stop.  Get out of here!  How can that be!!  I have proof beyond all doubts that the uiautomationcore.dll does not work as intended.  It's a placebo.  Look at all the crash reports in the AVSIM CTD Forum and you will see that individuals continue to get crashes/freezes no matter what version is in their main fsx folder. 

I contend that maybe, just maybe, several years ago when fsx was first released, the uiautomationcore.dll in the main fsx directory probably was good and may have stopped crashes from occurring but not today with our modern and updated computer systems.  We have better memory management and greatly enhanced CPU's. 

I appreciate your input though John.  You might want to check out our CTD Forum here, IMHO one of the best on the Internet in regards to finding causes for crashes.  It's going to get better too! 

Best regards,

• Upvote 1

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I have tried several times to replicate the crash w/o it in my main fsx folder and I simply cannot cause fsx to crash.

Are you running a 32 or 64 bit OS?

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Are you running a 32 or 64 bit OS?

Uh, what does that have to do with it?  I do not have the problem.   Others have the problem because they turn their settings up to the max and then blame it on the uiautomationcore.dll.  I had no crashes when I had a 32 bit OS and have had no crashes with a 64 bit OS w/o the uiautomationcore.dll in my main fsx directory.  Many, many other members here at AVSIM do not have the uiautomationcore.dll in their main fsx directory and have no problems. 

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM