Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ken_Salter

IE problems after MS patches, check this out...

http://www.mozilla.org/Microsoft has shut off so many features in IE (do to attacks) that everytime I accessed the Avsim forums I had to re-enter my password. There are many other issues that are going on with IE that made me just decide to try this one. I just thought I'd share this with the community because I'm very happy with this alternative to IE and the many viruses and trogens that try to get through.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Guest j-mo

After reading about Mozilla in all the previous posts here, I've been using it for the last couple of months, and Firefox is an excellent alternative to IE. I can also recommend Thunderbird as an alternative to Outlook.

Guest Philip Olson

I am curious about what you say because I have applied every single Microsoft patch and do not have such problems with the Avsim forum. Are you sure that it was not something that you set, or maybe some virus or spyware program? I am not calling you a liar or anything but too often settings get changed by other programs or by the user themselves and then it is blamed on some other program. I do agree that Microsoft has too many security holes but they also get blamed for a lot more than they are actually responsible for. Also to be honest you might be right and maybe I changed a setting that allowed me to stay logged on to Avsim even after Microsoft messed it up with a patch. I would be curious to hear from some others and their experiences. Again this is not meant as an attack on you or what you say, I am just rather curious since I do not have the same problem. Thanks,Philip Olsonhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg

I also have applied EVERY WindowsXP update, including all that relate to IE, and I have zero problems with AVSIM, IE, or any version of flight simulator.Microsoft is not the one who "messed it up".Dick

I agree 100%. Mozilla or Firefox are the way to go. I used to think the talk about IE was just typical MS bashing, however the more I have read on the subject lately, it is becoming clear the IE is not the way to browse the web. All browsers have security issues (don't think Mozilla and Firefox are 100% safe), however they have nowhere near the issues that are plaguing IE. Other browsers are out there for free, and are safer than IE. As I said, this isn't just a few people saying this, it has been recommended by many IT organizations. Some articles if you are interested:http://news.com.com/IE+flaw+may+boost+riva...697.html?tag=nlhttp://news.com.com/Microsoft's+patchwork+..._3-5256301.htmlThere are countless others.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Guest allcott

I agree with Dick. I have every MS patch - including patches not even out yet, beta versions of Windows XP SP2 AND chipset drivers AND soundcard drivers AND graphic card drivers AND alternatives to Internet Exlorer. Oh and prototypical technology in early alpha as well. Yet somehow I've never had a problem accessing Avsim?As the man says: "Microsoft is not the one who messed it up".Allcott

Guest yarvelling

For problems with having to constantly re-input user-names and passwords at this and similar sites, you need to access your Privacy settings for IE. You may have this set too high, which will block all cookies; in this event, you can tell IE which cookies to allow/prevent. You type in the sites' URL, restart your browser, and then you should have no more problems....IE accepts this site as a 'trusted' site and will allow the name tracking cookies used.I've tried those third party browsers: Firebird, Mozilla, Netscape, etc, and although they seem pretty neat initialy, I always find that they can never display all websites properly - some go horribly wrong...pictures out of alignment, incorrecdt sized text, etc....because they don't all use standards, colour schemes or fonts set by IE and adopted by most website designers....besides which....if more and more people switch to using alternative browsers, d'you think that the maniacs who plague IE with their spyware, trojans, viruses, etc. will sit back and do nothing? Oh no....they'll be plagueing all of them before you know it! I guess until these mental cripples either grow-up, wake-up, or die a terrible and lingering death at the hands of innocent and normal PC users, we're going to have to keep updating and protecting...!!

Guest P3_Super_Bee

Add another to the list of "Have every update/patch, with zero problems accessing AVSIM." Chock this up to operator error.

:-outta

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".- unknown
"My daddy gives me up, to fight for you"- a US Military Members Child

"Other browsers are out there for free, and are safer than IE."If they are safer, it's because they're used by so few people that the script kiddies haven't yet bothered to put the time into expoiting them.Or, just as likely, the exploits are already out there but "free software package used by hundreds has security flaw" doesn't make as catchy a headline as "MicroSoft software package used by millions has security flaw" so the press haven't bothered reporting on them.Richard

Guest ba747heavy

>Add another to the list of "Have every update/patch,>with zero problems accessing AVSIM." Chock this up to>operator error.Operator error or not, there is still some very valid advice. Firefox is a very good browser.Richard -"If they are safer, it's because they're used by so few people that the script kiddies haven't yet bothered to put the time into expoiting them.Or, just as likely, the exploits are already out there but "free software package used by hundreds has security flaw" doesn't make as catchy a headline as "MicroSoft software package used by millions has security flaw" so the press haven't bothered reporting on them."You proved the point very nicely in favor of Firefox. There are less users, meaning less known holes, or known holes that are being exploited because those script kiddies want to do the most damage, and they can't do it with Firefox. Seems safer to me :)

Wow, so Mozilla claims there's problems with a competing product?I've tried Mozilla and scrapped that bug riddled, underperforming POS.

And not only that, even when bugs are found (like the one caught a couple of weeks ago), the inherent opensourceness of the operation means that it gets patched up very quickly. That got patched in 24hours... User friendlines/intuitiveness wise, Firefox plus stuff like mouse gestures, tab browsing... is (understandably) way ahead of IE.

Guest TerryT

Dillon, Thanks for being brave enough to take the "Flak" from the folks ready to cut down IE. I too had the very same problem with the Aviation Forum site and thought it was something I was doing wrong at that site. Well I guess I was and had forgotten to allow that particular site access. I had to re-enter the user/password each time which was getting to be a pain. I do not know if any of the above writers ever check the number of cookies that get placed on their computers without their permission when they allow them "Full"access. And people wonder why their computers do not seem to be as fast as they once were. Lots of spy ware and other hidden files get installed in the background. Again thanks for asking the question and you have now saved me some frustration with having to constantly re-enter the user/password at Aviation Forums.Terry

Guest Ken_Salter

Or just switch to Linux for everything except playing games...like me! ;-)And the "except playing games" is rapidly changing...I beleive that Doom 3 and HL2 will be coming with linux binaries as well as Win32 binaries.Hopefully I'll get to a point where the only reason I will ever boot XP is to play MSFS, and hopefully Cedega (or someone else) will add MSFS to their Win32 emulator. I play Warcraft III and other games inside Cedega (a Win32/DirectX emulator for Linux) and the performance is great.BTW, I use Firefox and Thunderbird in Linux for my web/email. I also use Firefox when I run XP. For email in XP I use Outlook 2003, which IMHO is really really good and safe.PS: XP is a really good OS and by no means am I slamming it. I am more confortable with linux. Also, I think IE is a really good browser once all the applicable patches are applied. However, I believe Firefox is also reallly good and also noticably faster than IE on my machines.

Maybe I would IF there were hardware support for my hardware under Linux and I could get it installed and configured in less than a month of near 24/7 trial and error.