Sign in to follow this  
nemokin

[Question] FMC - runway extension line

Hi all,

Using NGX under P3Dv2.5 since last week.

I have a question about how to use the FMC.

Like most of you, I have my flight plan input in my FMC

and as I approach the arrival airport and descending toward my

final intercept course for the runway, I wanted to create a solid line

that extends out from the landing runway.

I have been using FMC's runway end fix (input for ILS approach) and

copying that over to the fix page and creating a radial from that with no distance.

While this does serve my need, I see real life pilots responding to and very quickly

making some input to the FMC when the PF says "runway extension please".

What are the specific steps in creating this runway extension line via FMC?

I know that if I only select the runway with no instrument approaches and by inputting a

certain number of miles, it can create the same extension line but this will be limited

to the specific number of miles and not endless.

Any advice?

Kay Nemoto

Kay Nemoto

Prepar3D version 3
Win7-64 bit

After you selected the arrival runway, you can see "-.-NM" just below the selected RWY. Put a number in there and click EXEC. FMC will put appropriate waypoint into LEGS page.

Jetstream96

Thank you for your response.

Won't this become a waypoint in the FMC?

(If I insert this point in the middle of the exiting route, everything preceding this point gets erased)

I was thinking similar to how (VECTOR) is indicated on FMC and ND.

Kay Nemoto

Prepar3D version 3
Win7-64 bit

Hi all,

Using NGX under P3Dv2.5 since last week.

I have a question about how to use the FMC.

Like most of you, I have my flight plan input in my FMC

and as I approach the arrival airport and descending toward my

final intercept course for the runway, I wanted to create a solid line

that extends out from the landing runway.

I have been using FMC's runway end fix (input for ILS approach) and

copying that over to the fix page and creating a radial from that with no distance.

While this does serve my need, I see real life pilots responding to and very quickly

making some input to the FMC when the PF says "runway extension please".

What are the specific steps in creating this runway extension line via FMC?

I know that if I only select the runway with no instrument approaches and by inputting a

certain number of miles, it can create the same extension line but this will be limited

to the specific number of miles and not endless.

Any advice?

Kay Nemoto

Kay,

We usually just leave the ILS approach in and simply leave one or two fixes on the final in the box. Usually if you just want a leg to the FAF, you put the FAF in the scratchpad and bring it to the top of the LEGS page and BEFORE you execute, you overwrite the final approach course into the 6R (bottom right) and THEN execute it.

Matt Cee

Thanks again.

Hmm.. Hard to visualize it quite yet...

Maybe I need to sit in front of the FMC.

Will I be going back and forth between the LEGS page and RTE page before I EXECUTE?

When you say "6R", I am thinking on RTE page since LEGS page has speed/altitude as input data.

Kay Nemoto

Prepar3D version 3
Win7-64 bit

Hi Kay,

If I understand your question correctly, are you asking about how to extend the magenta track line from the runway end till infinity? If so, then

1. just line select the appropriate RWxx to the scratchpad where xx is your landing runway. Whenever you line select a waypoint from the active legs to the Scratch pad, you will get an Intc course to? on the bottom right of the screen at LSK 6R.

2.Just enter the runway track there at 6R.

3.Line Select the RWxx from the scratchpad back to the LSK 1L to make it the active way point.

You will get the magenta track line extending out to infinity from the Selected RWY end.

Besides, the selected RWY will also have a dashed white line with a length of 14.2 NM (I think) as a RWY EXTN line.

Hope this is clear and is what you were asking about?

Regards,

Dinshaw Parakh.

Kay, full name on all posts in the PMDG forum please.

Do not become a child of the magenta line. Use the extended centerline as a navigation reference and fly the airplane. Plan on being 1000 AGL at 3 nm... a little practice and it becomes easy.

Dan Downs KCRP

When you say "6R", I am thinking on RTE page since LEGS page has speed/altitude as input data.
No, on LEGS.

Let's say you are on a downwind and you have the field in sight and you are cleared for a visual approach.

Take the FAF and put in at the top of 1L of the LEGS page

At the bottom right, you should see a course to that FAF. Overwrite that number with the FINAL APPROACH COURSE.

This is how we do it at my airline 99% of the time when on a visual.

Matt Cee

Thank you all for your input.

It is already past midnight here (Japan) so I shall try your methods tomorrow night.

I shall report back here with either more questions or that things worked out.

Let's see.

Kay Nemoto

Kay Nemoto

Prepar3D version 3
Win7-64 bit

In addition to what Dan says, you should always backup your LNAV with a ground based NAVAID. Usually an airport VOR and set the corresponding TO course. Those green radial lines are limitless in the MFD.

Joseph,

Thank you for the video link. I now understand it.
Which brings me to further question. I entered RWY and the inbound course as your video
but when I entered the RWY in 1L of FMC (followed by inbound course in 6R) and EXEC.
all the way points that is in the FMC gets erased and the 1L entered RWY becomes

the next point (and its missed approach after). I guess this is normal and no way of

keeping the waypoints in the FMC while creating the magenta line of runway extension at the same time?

Alberto,
Thank you for your input. That I always do.

Kay Nemoto

Prepar3D version 3
Win7-64 bit

Yes that method will erase all preceding waypoints in legs page. But why do you need them anymore, as you are already doing an visual approach? The runway is there outside the window.